How to Tell if a Pre-Loved Bag Has Been Re-Painted?

Chamorrita83

Jul 1, 2020
Boulder, Colorado
Hi all!

I purchased a beautiful 2012 Chanel Beige/Brown 2.55 Reissue Quilted Calfskin Leather Classic 226 Flap Bag from Yoogi's *almost* 30 days ago (so I can still return it), and I'm having some concerns that it was repainted and I wasn't told, as I'm noticing some too-quick shift in the aging of the bag since I got it, and I've only used it 3 times.

What are some tips you have for telling if a bag has been repainted? I am sorry if this thread is elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
Check around stitching. It's very hard to avoid going over stitching but thread will make the the dye/paint pool if gone over. Under-stitching could be different too.

Check comparison with leather threaded within the chain (is applicable)

Sometimes the leather will feel different or appear more matte.

Check original colour for the year, research photos of bags on tpf to compare.

Check age. If the bag looks immaculate and it's years old it would raise my suspicion. Even put away in a wardrobe leather still ages slightly.

Check wear inside versus outside. It's very rare that a bag looks worn and used inside and completely pristine outside

nateaser14

Mar 2, 2021
Hi I just bought a second hand white caviar double flap from a reputable seller and I’m also worried it’s been painted and I haven’t been told. It smells strongly of something - maybe a cream cleaner? And when I wipe it with a duster some white colour comes off on the duster. Did the OP ever find out if hers was repainted?

Jan 15, 2021
This might be helpful.

Reactions: nateaser14

nateaser14

Mar 2, 2021
Reactions: Ricks Krispies

nateaser14

Mar 2, 2021
that is massively helpful thank you!!!!
I've just returned the bag I bought because it definitely was painted. I'm on the hunt for another one now and will 100% know what to look for :smile:

Reactions: Ricks Krispies