How to sell a Chanel bag?

stream0106

Sep 22, 2009
Hi girls,
I have a bag that I want to sell (and purchase another one!)but
I have never sold a bag before in my life so I don't know how to.
To get the best value out of it,
should I just post it on eBay? and what do I do for international buyers?

I know that sending it to consignment stores will charge me a lot and
eventhough I sell the bag I wont get the price I wanted.

Please can someone advise/share? I would like to know how you go about selling
your bags....

thanks!!
much appreciated!!!!

Well eBay fees are now 8.75% (or maximum of $50), add to that the listing fee, and 3.5% to 4.5% paypal fees. Depending on the style you'll be listing it at below retail since it is a used bag. If you don't have any feedback as a seller on eBay you may not do as well (final value wise) on your bag as a consignor might do. For your first sale I would recommend only selling domestically (too many things can go wrong with international sales).

Well, keeping in mind what Smoothoperator says above ^^ you can sell directly to places like Avelle (old Bag,borrow or steal co.) or Yoogi's Closet. Yes, it's consignement but the check is in the mail the next week!

I've sold a few things on ebay, and so far I've hadn't had major problems, but it can be really worrisome for you when you are selling something so expensive. You'll most likely end up shipping the bag when it's sold. This process always drives me crazy even though I ship with full insurance. No matter what, you must ship with full insurance in case something happens and always ask for added signature confirmation. The paypal address must be verified too. Even though you go through all these measures to protect you... fraudulent buyers could try to rip you off. I don't want to scare you, but this is something I was really worried about. Fraudulent buyers could switch bags on you... i.e. they will take a fake one and switch it with yours and then file a dispute through paypal or ebay saying that the bag you sent wasn't authentic. Paypal could take money out of your account and reimburse them and they get to keep the real bag... Perhaps I'm just paranoid... but I've heard of this happening through forums...

Even though you may not be able to make as much, I would sell your bag through a consignment store... The consignment store may suggest a sale price, but you don't have to take it. I sold a Chanel rock bag (the medium one) in a consignment store in Korea a few years ago. The SA told me that she would list it at $1000 but I said no.
She said I wouldn't be able to get more, but I insisted I sell it for $1200. It sold for my asking price. They took 15%.

When you sell your bag through a consignment store, you don't have to worry about fraudulent buyers or unhappy customers who ask you for a refund.

If you do decide to sell something yourself through ebay... here's a tip:

When I send my items out, I admit I look silly, but I will have someone record me with video at the post office showing what I am putting into the box for added confirmation. Make sure you get uncut footage of the authenticity number and the condition of the bag and you placing the bag in the box and handing it over to the postal worker or courier service. I always note at the bottom of my ebay listings that when shipping, I ship with video confirmation of the shipping process for added protection against fraudulent buyers. (I do this to scare off potential scammers!)

Last edited:
I've sold a few things on ebay, and so far I've hadn't had major problems, but it can be really worrisome for you when you are selling something so expensive. You'll most likely end up shipping the bag when it's sold. This process always drives me crazy even though I ship with full insurance. No matter what, you must ship with full insurance in case something happens and always ask for added signature confirmation. The paypal address must be verified too. Even though you go through all these measures to protect you... fraudulent buyers could try to rip you off. I don't want to scare you, but this is something I was really worried about. Fraudulent buyers could switch bags on you... i.e. they will take a fake one and switch it with yours and then file a dispute through paypal or ebay saying that the bag you sent wasn't authentic. Paypal could take money out of your account and reimburse them and they get to keep the real bag... Perhaps I'm just paranoid... but I've heard of this happening through forums...

Even though you may not be able to make as much, I would sell your bag through a consignment store... The consignment store may suggest a sale price, but you don't have to take it. I sold a Chanel rock bag (the medium one) in a consignment store in Korea a few years ago. The SA told me that she would list it at $1000 but I said no.
She said I wouldn't be able to get more, but I insisted I sell it for $1200. It sold for my asking price. They took 15%.

When you sell your bag through a consignment store, you don't have to worry about fraudulent buyers or unhappy customers who ask you for a refund.

When I send my items out, I admit I look silly, but I will have someone record me with video at the post office showing what I am putting into the box for added confirmation. Make sure you get uncut footage of the authenticity number and the condition of the bag and you placing the bag in the box and handing it over to the postal worker or courier service. I always note at the bottom of my ebay listings that when shipping, I ship with video confirmation of the shipping process for added protection against fraudulent buyers. (I do this to scare off potential scammers!)

Haha love the idea of the video recording. Thanks for sharing luvtoown, I learned a lot of important tips.

wow! thanks Luv2ownabirkin. that's really a great idea.
But sounds too much for me since I'm new selling a bag.
I'll try consignmnet stores. It scares me off that there're many bad people
out there that will try to exchange with fake ones or something!
Chanel bags are hard to get and hard to sell!
Thanks sansysandiego, gerry, smoothoprtr and specially Luv2ownabirkin.

I will put a plug in for Ann's Fabulous Finds. It is an on line consignment store. I have sold several bags through them and have always had top-notch treatment. It is SO much easier than selling it yourself. Plus, it is a well known site and the Chanels always get snapped up right away!
Go to their site and fill out the contact form, and they will get right back to you. They also have an agreement that you download and sign, and you can send it to them when you mail your bag.
Good Luck!

:nuts: love your idea. If i ever sell anything high priced, i would use this idea!

I would also recommend Yana at PersonalShoppers on ebay. She is great and much cheaper than most consignment shops. Selling it yourself without experience and high feedback will limit what you can get for the bag.

Here is a link to one of her listings: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-CHANEL-BLAC...emQQptZUS_CSA_WH_Handbags?hash=item51919605ac

I second sandy's recommendation. i have consigned with Yana. She charges a 15% fee and you pay her ebay/paypal fees and shipping charges. all in all, it was about 22% off the selling price. much less than the 60% that some people charge.

Honestly, I think the consignment store sounds like a good idea if you don't plan to become a regular seller on ebay. Not to mention the final value fees people will probably bid less because you are a newbie. However if you want to take the plunge you can always set a reserve price. That way you are protected. The only thing with that is people don't know what it is so they tend to be hesitant to bid (if they ask what it is-tell them). Also if it doesn't sell you loose money. You don't get the finaly fee taken out but you do get the listing fees taken out. If you plan to be a regular seller and can hold off on selling that bag- list other things you don't need to get as much on. That way you will be building your history this raising your bids in future listings.

Reactions: msPing