How to say goodbye to a very loved bag?

LemonDrop

a Fendi bag and a bad attitude
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
I am spring cleaning out the bag closet.

I have one bag that I no longer use. She is leather. She is too scratched up to sell on eBay. I can't imagine anyone would want her. (She is not high end designer).
Because she is this scratched up I don't feel right donating her. But I also don't feel right throwing her away. I cannot imagine that I will ever use her again but I can't stand to put her in the trash.

Any ideas on what to do with her or do I need to suck it up and say the ultimate goodbye?

just donate it. There may be someone out there who wants it. Don't think for others, while she seems damaged beyond repair to you, she may be the exact item someone else is looking for. One man's [woman's] trash is another's treasure! No point in throwing her away when there is someone out there who may potentially be willing / able to use her.

I am spring cleaning out the bag closet.

I have one bag that I no longer use. She is leather. She is too scratched up to sell on eBay. I can't imagine anyone would want her. (She is not high end designer).
Because she is this scratched up I don't feel right donating her. But I also don't feel right throwing her away. I cannot imagine that I will ever use her again but I can't stand to put her in the trash.

Any ideas on what to do with her or do I need to suck it up and say the ultimate goodbye?

Two possibilities: like Immigratty says ... donate her. Maybe someone will want her and maybe you can give her a small cleanup to help that along. You never really know how others see things. Or you can create a 'treasure' category of bags ... not too many or they're not really treasures ... that have special meaning in your life. I have a Perlina bag that I used for 2 years straight (really hard to imagine that now) and will never use again but I keep it as one of my treasures while I jettison loads of other bags. But if possible, donate. It's a good feeling to finally let go when the time is right.

You two are both right. Thanks. Someone might see this bag as the PERFECT bag for whatever their needs are. And whatever the charity makes off of it. Even if it's 1.00. It is still better money in their pocket than in the trash. Thank you so much! I feel much better now. :smile:

just donate it. There may be someone out there who wants it. Don't think for others, while she seems damaged beyond repair to you, she may be the exact item someone else is looking for. One man's [woman's] trash is another's treasure! No point in throwing her away when there is someone out there who may potentially be willing / able to use her.

Two possibilities: like Immigratty says ... donate her. Maybe someone will want her and maybe you can give her a small cleanup to help that along. You never really know how others see things. Or you can create a 'treasure' category of bags ... not too many or they're not really treasures ... that have special meaning in your life. I have a Perlina bag that I used for 2 years straight (really hard to imagine that now) and will never use again but I keep it as one of my treasures while I jettison loads of other bags. But if possible, donate. It's a good feeling to finally let go when the time is right.

I meant to quote both of you in my prior thank you post. Thank you !!!!

You two are both right. Thanks. Someone might see this bag as the PERFECT bag for whatever their needs are. And whatever the charity makes off of it. Even if it's 1.00. It is still better money in their pocket than in the trash. Thank you so much! I feel much better now. :smile:

Glad I could be of assistance. I just underwent a major purge [got rid of about 1/3 of my collection], and while some bags were less than stellar condition, many ppl were ecstatic to get them. So absolutely, much better than the trash, sitting in a landfill forever :biggrin:

I found one of my dream bags (not high end) at a thrift store. It was wayyyy more money than I could have ever dreamed of when it came out (around $300 many years ago) but over the years I never stopped thinking about it. I searched eBay and other online sites ... But one day I walked into a thrift store and found it. $5!!! The condition was ... Not great ... I could have seen someone throw it away thinking no one would want it. But I bought it and rehabbed it as much as I could. To me, it is cool and well loved and I am so glad someone donated it!

I found one of my dream bags (not high end) at a thrift store. It was wayyyy more money than I could have ever dreamed of when it came out (around $300 many years ago) but over the years I never stopped thinking about it. I searched eBay and other online sites ... But one day I walked into a thrift store and found it. $5!!! The condition was ... Not great ... I could have seen someone throw it away thinking no one would want it. But I bought it and rehabbed it as much as I could. To me, it is cool and well loved and I am so glad someone donated it!

Wow! That would be so cool to find one of my original dream bags in a thrift store. :biggrin:

Donate. I found a vintage Coach bag at a thrift store that I loved scratches and all. After A LOT of research, I discovered that it is from the Bonnie Cashin era. I threw a tassel on it to make it a little modern. I would love to hear the stories that this bag could tell.

Definitely donate. You never know what floats someone's boat. I once bought a tan lamb skin bag on eBay despite it having big black stains on the back because it was a bag I really wanted when it came out and regretted passing up. I don't regret it because I have never seen that bag on eBay again.

Third alternative, if you can´t bear (yet) to let her go: turn it into your grocery goods carrier, your library books carrier, your foul-weather quick-errands carrier.

Fourth alternative: turn it into your currently-reading-pile catch-all (books, magazines, TV programme) at the foot of your favourite reading chair.

Fifth alternative: turn it into your "launching station pod" by the front door (where you put stuff you mean to have repaired or returned, outgoing mail like letters and parcels, gifts you´ve prepared for upcoming parties, extra house or car keys, emergency purse first-aid kit, umbrellas & scarves, etc). This way, you can still see and enjoy her every day.