How to save up for one big ticket item without getting distracted

suchi

Apr 30, 2015
Hello all, just wondering what are the self motivating methods you use while saving up for a big purchase. Presently I wear diamond studs of. 46cttw and really want to save up for at least 1.50cttw with the best cut and d-f color. But the problem is I really really like silver jewelry and once I save up I find some interesting earrings or a bangle and buy it. I have been trying for the last 1year I have been trying to save up for my studs but instead have collected a box full of silver, which I wear and love, but I think once I buy my dream studs those will remain in my ears 24/7. Please help.

I put extra money left over after expenses into an envelope that has "My (insert item here) fund" written on it with a smiley face, lol. It makes things more light-hearted and fun for me.

What also helps is saving an image of what I want as my wallpaper on my cell phone to keep my eyes on the prize every time I am tempted to buy something that will set me back from my dream purchase.

Thanks Bambiee, that wallpaper sounds like a good idea to keep myself motivated.
I tried that envelope approach, didn't work for me, little sudden household expenses crop up and all savings are gone.

Reactions: Bambieee
I put extra money left over after expenses into an envelope that has "My (insert item here) fund" written on it with a smiley face, lol. It makes things more light-hearted and fun for me.

What also helps is saving an image of what I want as my wallpaper on my cell phone to keep my eyes on the prize every time I am tempted to buy something that will set me back from my dream purchase.
Get a 5X6/11X12 picture of the desired studs. Attach to your bathroom mirror so it's the first thing you see when you get up in the morning to give you inspiration!.

I can relate! This year I managed to save up for a big-ticket piece of jewelry for the first time ever. It was REALLY tough, but every time I considered a small purchase, I asked myself was it worth moving $X farther from my goal? I helped focus myself on my goal by hunting down photos of the piece irl (vs the "glamour shot" on the website) and by scouring the internet for other jewelry pieces in that price range so as to assure myself that I was making the right choice. Basically, the more I fantasized about my goal, the easier it was for me to resist temptation.

I just purchased the piece yesterday, after seeing it person for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I LOVE it, and I'm so glad I remained disciplined in saving for it, as the piece is now discontinued and nonexistant on the secondary market.

Thanks Skyqueen and joseybird. Great ideas.
Joseybird what did you get. Please tell.
The Enchant platinum flower pendant with diamonds, medium size. I ADORE it! It's bigger than its carat size (~0.8 ct?) would suggest, and I love how the edges shimmer but the rose-cut "petals" are more subtle. The only photo I could find of it was the promo shot on the Tiffany website, but I was able to find a couple of photos of the small version online and basically bought it based on those. I saved on my phone all of the various images I could find and looked at them every day. Obsessing over the pendant for a year as I slowly saved was difficult but it REALLY helped me maintain the willpower not to spend my savings on smaller items I knew I wouldn't love as much as my pendant.

(Thanks for letting me share! ^__^ )

Attachments

• IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 653
It's definitely hard. I am currently saving up for a yellow gold diamond tennis bracelet (they are not really cheap. If it is not heavily used, you can't really find any under 2k, or maybe two hundred dollars less than that.) But I have wanted one my whole life, to be honest and just bought other things along the way like OP was saying because it is difficult to save up. So far I am remaining dedicated to my goal, but along the way I am seeing other things as well that are less expensive & more attainable that I also want like ohh I can get 1/2 carat diamond studs, I can get this ring, etc. But then I remind myself that while I would be happy for a short time with a lesser item, it would also come with a slight level of disappointment because the level of funds that you have saved up for your item were now spent on something else so that you know inside that you might never reach that big ticket item.

It's also hard for me because I have to pick one item very carefully--I am probably going to back to working PT after the next year and a half, as right now I am doing FT and then some for personal reasons (blasting out the last few semesters of my degree as I went back to college, and with all the fieldwork for my major it is easier to work PT instead of FT and then overtime too. Then after that is finished, I can go back to FT. Went back to school after many years.), so once I start going back to PT work my expenses will be paid for, but I really won't be able to buy a ton of super nice things anymore. So this bracelet would be my last real indulgence for maybe 2 and a half years, or 3 years. The little voice in my head is telling me to pick my item very carefully because after this last item there may be no more for a year or two, or maybe even three year. But I really think I will always be happy with a diamond tennis bracelet and I should stick to that.

Reactions: Julide and Bambieee
The Enchant platinum flower pendant with diamonds, medium size. I ADORE it! It's bigger than its carat size (~0.8 ct?) would suggest, and I love how the edges shimmer but the rose-cut "petals" are more subtle. The only photo I could find of it was the promo shot on the Tiffany website, but I was able to find a couple of photos of the small version online and basically bought it based on those. I saved on my phone all of the various images I could find and looked at them every day. Obsessing over the pendant for a year as I slowly saved was difficult but it REALLY helped me maintain the willpower not to spend my savings on smaller items I knew I wouldn't love as much as my pendant.

(Thanks for letting me share! ^__^ )

congrats on this beauty -- I love it!

Joseybird the enchant pendant is so beautiful. Wear it in good health. Mcb100 thank you. I need to remind myself of the studs now everytime I plan to window shop.

I have an automatic funds transfer to a savings account. TBH, I normally forget it is even there until the statement comes each month, and I usually end up with far more money than I thought. Although we use ours for vacations and/or unexpected expenses, it could easily be earmarked for jewelry or any other indulgence. It is money you never see and so you never think to spend, and it adds up faster than you might imagine.