How to safely return expensive (fake) jewelries overseas

Recently, i was duped into buying fake designer jewelries for over 10k. Luckily I managed to get an ok to return. I am still not sure how to fill out customs form as well as properly insure the items against loss/theft. Please give me any advices you may have. Thank you.
I always ship with FedEx internationally because they will fill out the paperwork for me. It is worth a little higher shipping rate to know that the paperwork is all correct. FedEx and UPS require you to get external insurance in order to receive a payout if an item is lost or damaged, they will let you declare a value, but it is clearly indicated that this does not result in an insurance payout. I believe their declared value limit for jewelry is also $10,000 domestically, perhaps it is less internationally. I know businesses are able to insure for more through their own insurance, so presumably you could do the same, but I have not figured out how to do so. UPS and FedEx will give you some options for external insurance if you call their 1-800 number, and I believe it is also under FAQ on the websites.

Thank you so much for your response. How do you usually ship with them? You print out a label online then drop it off? Do you know of any external insurance company that would insure a shipment? Lastly, I was told anything thats value more than $2500 will require an export license. How do i go about getting that? and is it even legal for me to insure fake jewelries for 10k? Thats how much i paid but since its fake, its worthless.

If it's a fake "designer" it's fraud and I wouldn't be trying to insure anything for up to 10K...when you are also now aware it's fraudulent goods. Can you not just contact your CC company and make a claim to chargeback?

Reactions: lulilu and JulieKat
Apologies I have no experience or insight on returning expensive items overseas.

But some food for thought:
How did the seller ship it to you? Was there a signature process like FedEx?
Do you still have the invoice? How did the seller fill out the invoice?

If anything, you could ship it back the way the seller shipped to you. That way the "quality" of the item would match the seller's description and/or process. I probably wouldn't bat an eye if I saw some item that was a return that matched the way it was initially dispatched.
I'm not saying this is recommended though. If the seller sent it you through normal post, that does feel like somewhat of a redflag to me.

There was no paperwork included in the package. The seller wrote on the label "custom jewelries" value $700. I could ship them back just like that but im so scared it gets lost paypal wont reimburse me. I guess i can do credit card chargeback but since paypal allows me to return, im just happy that im close to having my money back, just one last step.

And yes i had to sign it. I will just ship it back the way she shipped to me. I think that makes the most sense. Same value, same description. I just hope fedex wont screw up.

Reactions: lill_canele
I assume you think the seller thought the item was authentic and has a reputation to protect i.e. that is why they've agreed to give you a refund? Or is it possible the seller isn't legit and is stringing you along? In that case rather than returning the item, I would think you'd be better off contacting your credit card provider / PayPal about the fraud and see what coverage they offer. Good luck.

She knows its fake. I disputed the payment with paypal. They told me to return. Im now just looking for the best way to return it safely. I want her to get her stuff back so i can receive a refund.

There was no paperwork included in the package. The seller wrote on the label "custom jewelries" value $700. I could ship them back just like that but im so scared it gets lost paypal wont reimburse me. I guess i can do credit card chargeback but since paypal allows me to return, im just happy that im close to having my money back, just one last step.

And yes i had to sign it. I will just ship it back the way she shipped to me. I think that makes the most sense. Same value, same description. I just hope fedex wont screw up.

She knows its fake. I disputed the payment with paypal. They told me to return. Im now just looking for the best way to return it safely. I want her to get her stuff back so i can receive a refund.

If PayPal has told you to return the item, it seems that you should be contacting them to find out, in writing, how they want you to return it so that you are covered.

I would also take pictures before you package it and the packaging you use. That way if they try to say they sold you authentic goods and you tried to return fakes you'll have proof on your end

Sorry this happened to you ! I would take it a step further and take VIDEOS of you putting the items in the box, sealing them, and then handing to FEDEX and them handing you back the receipt. Show the receipt in the videos. I know it sounds extreme, but these are strange times and people are predators. Video proof is indisputable. Photos can be claimed to have been "doctored".