How to read Chanel tags?

Hi guys,

I just bought a maxi jumbo at the Cambon Chanel shop In Paris.

The 2 first numbers start 18.

I was surprised cause it meant to me that the bag was from 2012/2013.

2 sellers and the shop manager assure the timeless was from 2017 and said that numbers had no meanings at all and were random.

I asked the manager to check on Chanel's data base the year of my bag and after
supposedly checking it (sorry for my bad english) came back and told me it really was from 2017.

Are you totally sure that 2 first numbers represent the year ?
They made me doubt

It means she lied to me, from the most famous Chanel shop, it just seems incredible to me.

Show you picts :

Attachments

• IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_4364.JPG
    IMG_4364.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 685
Wow, that is strange. From all the sites I did research on when I got mine is that there are specific numbers for years and they didn't go backwards. I could understand if it was a seasonal bag but this is a gorgeous sought after classic and wonder how it could sit that long without being purchased. I hope someone more experienced here can answer the question. :confused1:. Someone will! :smile:

Thank's Whiteswan, I hope too.

And it was one of the manager's pretext; "absolutely impossible It is from 2012 or 2013 cause it's been sold out in 2014 and 2015 ..."

I wrote to Chanel to explain my problem, and no answer. I'm angry. That's the first Chanel I buy at the store, other ones are second hand and I don't know if they will accept I return it back.

Thank's Whiteswan, I hope too.

And it was one of the manager's pretext; "absolutely impossible It is from 2012 or 2013 cause it's been sold out in 2014 and 2015 ..."

I wrote to Chanel to explain my problem, and no answer. I'm angry. That's the first Chanel I buy at the store, other ones are second hand and I don't know if they will accept I return it back.
That's what is puzzling to me ----- the popularity of this bag! By the way it looks beautiful on you and strange enough, I have been contemplating getting one too, but have not asked about availability with the stores yet I deal with. I did try one on in black last week at my Florida store and was happy to see it in stock. I go twice a month and mostly they do not have them when I go. Surprised they did not answer your letter too. Someone here please help.

Since it's Classic line, it's possible it was "hidden" in the stock room. It's not like that's been unknown to happen. Does your bag look new, no issues? From Rue Cambon it wouldn't be a return. If the older hologram makes you uncomfortable, exchange it.

Since it's Classic line, it's possible it was "hidden" in the stock room. It's not like that's been unknown to happen. Does your bag look new, no issues? From Rue Cambon it wouldn't be a return. If the older hologram makes you uncomfortable, exchange it.

They only had 2 maxi silver and got both of them, numbers started 18.

Are you sure they don't accept returns ?
Cause they made a mistake, then, manager lied to me by telling me she checked the date, so it would be outrageous not to refund me the bag if they don't have the one I want and paid (expensive) for it.

Anyway, I'll call the shop tomorrow.

Reactions: whiteswan1010

Cause they made a mistake, then, manager lied to me by telling me she checked the date, so it would be outrageous not to refund me the bag if they don't have the one I want and paid (expensive) for it.

Anyway, I'll call the shop tomorrow.[/Q

I was thinking the same thing that somehow it got hidden in stockroom but with 2 others that say 18? I would call tomorrow and believe you should get a refund for the bag. At some point, you might tire of it and want to sell for some reason. Although it's supposedly from 2017 and brand new it will have the "18" code number attached to it. Experienced buyers know this. I would tell Chanel that. It's not right in my opinion for that amount of money. Or ask management for a good explanation.

Reactions: Boydophile
Eh, I don't think it's that much of a big deal as long as your bag is new. While a new bag most likely shouldn't be 18xxxxxx, you got it direct from the store and the other you saw also had the same 18xxxxxx. You never know when an anomaly can occur, such as they found numbers that weren't used or something. I remember in 2011, there were new half moon wocs that were showing 11xxxxxx holograms instead of 14xxxxxx.

But since it really seems to be bothering you, no harm seeing what can be done. Lets us know what the shop tells you.

Eh, I don't think it's that much of a big deal as long as your bag is new. While a new bag most likely shouldn't be 18xxxxxx, you got it direct from the store and the other you saw also had the same 18xxxxxx. You never know when an anomaly can occur, such as they found numbers that weren't used or something. I remember in 2011, there were new half moon wocs that were showing 11xxxxxx holograms instead of 14xxxxxx.

But since it really seems to be bothering you, no harm seeing what can be done. Lets us know what the shop tells you.

You're right, the bag is absolutely new, but I guess its design changed since 4 or 5 years, may be I'd prefer the 2017's one, but may be not. I consider that when you go to the official shop spending a big amount (at least for me) for an iconic bag, you are entitled to have the last version, and if not, to be informed of it.
I saw a third one ghw, started 21 ... But what you say about half moon wocs is very interesting; cause it would mean that mistake may occur and my bag could be from 2017.

The other point who´s bothering me is if one day, for some reason, I had to sell it, in spite of the bill, I'm fearful that I won't be able to sell it at the same price if it is from 2012 or 2013 rather than 2017.

Anyway, I'll let you know. ☺️

You're right, the bag is absolutely new, but I guess its design changed since 4 or 5 years, may be I'd prefer the 2017's one, but may be not. I consider that when you go to the official shop spending a big amount (at least for me) for an iconic bag, you are entitled to have the last version, and if not, to be informed of it.
I saw a third one ghw, started 21 ... But what you say about half moon wocs is very interesting; cause it would mean that mistake may occur and my bag could be from 2017.

The other point who´s bothering me is if one day, for some reason, I had to sell it, in spite of the bill, I'm fearful that I won't be able to sell it at the same price if it is from 2012 or 2013 rather than 2017.

Anyway, I'll let you know. ☺️
I don't think the design has changed on the maxi. The numbers just denote the year of production. As far as I am aware the 2017 bag will be the same with just a more recent serial number. You are obviously not happy with it so see what they can do. Goodluck

Hi - I went to my local Chanel store today. I asked if they had any maxi's. She had a silver hardware and a gold. I told her about your situation and asked if I could look at the authenticity cards they both started with 24. Then I looked at two other bags that were on the counter and we checked the cards on those too. They were both 24. Please keep us posted. The saleslady didn't want to get into it and talk about it too much. I'm sure the bag is new, the style is exactly the same, but it's the 18 series on the card in case you want or need to sell the bag down the road. They buyer will think it's years older than it really is and you won't get top dollar. I would return the bag and demand a new one with series starting 24. 24 is 2017 and that's when you purchased it. They should have not trouble understanding this.:smile:

Hi - I went to my local Chanel store today. I asked if they had any maxi's. She had a silver hardware and a gold. I told her about your situation and asked if I could look at the authenticity cards they both started with 24. Then I looked at two other bags that were on the counter and we checked the cards on those too. They were both 24. Please keep us posted. The saleslady didn't want to get into it and talk about it too much. I'm sure the bag is new, the style is exactly the same, but it's the 18 series on the card in case you want or need to sell the bag down the road. They buyer will think it's years older than it really is and you won't get top dollar. I would return the bag and demand a new one with series starting 24. 24 is 2017 and that's when you purchased it. They should have not trouble understanding this.:smile:

Wouaaa !! Thank you so much WhitesWan !
I called Cambon shop today and they don't accept returns, only exchanges, Lalybelle was right.

I only received a mail who said they well had my reclamation and will be soon back to me.

Let's just hope they will admit that series' numbers are not random as 3 of them told me, manager included ... (still can't believe the great "professionalism" ...)

May you tell me as you saw the new ones if they're exactly the same ?
The extern rabat of the bag falls the same way ? (Hope I'm clear in my question)
Show you a large pict of mine, so if you remember, it would be adorable to tell me if you remember (the more the extern rabat falls on rest of the bag, the more I like)

Thanks again WhitesWan. Didn't you say you hesitated to buy the maxi ? So ? Did you try it ? Could you resist ? ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_4351.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 535