How to re-purpose old dress>

Mar 10, 2007
Inspired by the divorce thread below...

My wedding dress was custom made for me out of 5 yards of aquamarine silk from Britex. The fabric is absolutely gorgeous.

It's a two piece corset style with a detachable train. I will never wear it again, even without the train.

I found an amazing seamstress who can pretty much do whatever I want. Problem is I am not sure what I want done with this. I'd like to turn it into something not-trendy and classic, but given that it's silk I'm not sure it's appropriate for anything except a dress? Maybe a summer blazer?

Is it psycho to turn your wedding dress into something else? I feel like that gorgeous fabric is just wasted.

Or, I suppose I could save it for my nieces' prom and revisit having it remade for one of them at that point? But who knows if the fabric will do well for another 10 years? It's already 10 years old...

Thoughts?

It's really up to you. You could remake it into a dress, but how often would you have the opportunity to wear it? Do you want it for a specific function, like a formal for example. I would not count on anyone else wanting to wear the dress. (No offense, please.) Often times people want to go and pick out their own dress for special occasions. If you would like to save the dress in its original form for sentimental reasons to show your children or reminisce over I think that's a great idea. Sorry, not much help.

Aquamarine silk? :graucho: I'd make a cocktail dress. After taking plenty of high quality art photos of the original, of course (for framing).

And only when you are ready to part with the wedding dress.

It's been ten years -- it's just a question whether to keep it forever just because, or to make use of such amazing fabric.

I know my nieces probably won't want anything to do with it. I know I wouldn't. :amuse:

Hmmm...

If it were me, I would have it disassembled & rolled into a bolt of fabric until I could make up my mind.

With 5 yards of fabric to work with, it could be fun to create something original. For some reason, my head went straight to things for the house... like a fun tufted headboard or tufted upholstery for a dainty chair...

Have fun! :hugs:

(edit: whoops... misinterpreted this post... since you referenced the other wedding dress post...)

It's been ten years -- it's just a question whether to keep it forever just because, or to make use of such amazing fabric.

I know my nieces probably won't want anything to do with it. I know I wouldn't. :amuse:

Last edited:
To the original poster. I will just chime in here. You have a lot of fabric in the skirt. I don't think top is very useful, unless you like very fitted tops to wear. With the skirt fabric you pretty much can do anything you want as long as it fits in size. Jacket is fun, or some interesting "summer dress", duster, spring coat to wear on top of t-shirt. Have fun!