How to Protect Myself With an eBay Return

Stophle

Loyal Browncoat
O.G.
Jan 28, 2007
(I'm sorry if there are tons of threads about this, I wasn't sure what keywords to search for.)

I've never had this happen to me before and am not sure how to handle it.

I bought a necklce on eBay and just received it the day before last. When I opened the package, a stone was missing from the clasp. It hadn't fallen out during shipping, because the stone was nowhere to be found inside.

I contacted the seller immediately and she requested pictures of the missing stone. I took them last night and sent them to her and she said to return the necklace to her and she would give me a refund.

My question is, do I need to file a PayPal dispute to protect myself? How should I proceed? I'm going to send it back UPS with signature confirmation, but do I need to file a complaint with eBay first or anything like that? My concern is that once I send the necklace back, she will have that and my payment and if she doesn't give me a refund, I'll be stuck.

Any advice on what I should do from here out? I've been very lucky and have had nothing but good transactions on eBay so far and don't want to botch my first return!

Thank you for any help/advice. :smile:

(I'm sorry if there are tons of threads about this, I wasn't sure what keywords to search for.)

I've never had this happen to me before and am not sure how to handle it.

I bought a necklce on eBay and just received it the day before last. When I opened the package, a stone was missing from the clasp. It hadn't fallen out during shipping, because the stone was nowhere to be found inside.

I contacted the seller immediately and she requested pictures of the missing stone. I took them last night and sent them to her and she said to return the necklace to her and she would give me a refund.

My question is, do I need to file a PayPal dispute to protect myself? How should I proceed? I'm going to send it back UPS with signature confirmation, but do I need to file a complaint with eBay first or anything like that? My concern is that once I send the necklace back, she will have that and my payment and if she doesn't give me a refund, I'll be stuck.

Any advice on what I should do from here out? I've been very lucky and have had nothing but good transactions on eBay so far and don't want to botch my first return!

Thank you for any help/advice. :smile:

I would definitely open a case with eBay or Paypal, just to make sure you're covered well. I can understand your concern...I would love to believe everyone on eBay is honest, but I know that's not always the case. I would just email her and tell that you have opened a case on eBay for your protection as well as hers.

I've had to return things from eBay before, and I've always started out with eBay to open a case.

You could also get on live chat with someone at eBay, and they can point you in the right direction as to whether to file with them or Paypal.

Good luck!

You don't need to file a complaint with Ebay just yet, since the seller seems to be cooperating with you. Return the item like she said. If you use UPS you, of course, get a tracking number automatically. When the tracking shows that it has been delivered then contact her to make sure she has the item. Once she gave you the refund then that's that, end of story. If you don't hear from her after, say, 2 tries of contacting her, then you can open a dispute with Ebay. Ebay will give you an instruction of what will happen next or what the next step will be.

I agree, no need to open a case (I've learned that no matter how many times you write someone a nice e-mail saying "By the way, I'm going to open a case to cover myself but this does not mean I'm unhappy with you" they almost always get upset that you're opening a case. Just return it with tracking, and that should be enough. Chances are, she's an honest seller since she's being so reasonable right now.

If the seller is responsive and agrees to take back the return, I would not open a case. Just make sure you have tracking and a signature confirmation attached so you won't have any problems. If seller receives item and does not refund your payment in a timely manner then you can open a case.
I think you have 45 days to file a dispute on paypal

Filing a dispute counts against the seller. No need to file a dispute if she agrees to a return.

Just make sure it goes back to the PAYPAL address (call paypal and make sure you are sending it back to the right place) and get DC.

Everyone who said not to open a case yet is correct. Just please make sure you keep all communications via ebay messaging. Nothing thru personal email.

Also make sure to get insurance and signature confirmation. Send her a message with the tracking number and be sure to say in your message this is for the damaged necklace you agreed to take back and refund me. Once it shows delivered message her thru ebay again and confirm.

You do have 45 days to open a dispute, once she receives it and she does not refund you, then open a case. Good Luck and I am sure she will refund your money.

Thank you all for your very helpful responses! I'm sure everything will be fine, I just didn't want to insult her by asking all of these questions. I figured it would come across as "Please tell me how to stop you from cheating me. Thanks!" *LOL*

I really appreciate your time with this. :smile:

Update: I returned the item before Christmas and this morning I received an eBay transaction cancellation request from the seller. I've never had to do this before, do I accept the cancellation request before I receive a refund? Something I read in the email from eBay suggested I only accept if a refund has been received.

I'd be checking in with Live Help to make sure of what to do if it were me. Did you see tracking information confirming that the seller has received it.

Good luck with it.

I contacted the seller and told him/her ebay said I shouldn't and asked what the next step was and the seller said that typically the buyer accepts the cancellation so the seller will get his/her fees back, then the seller issues the refund. I'm not comfortable with that so I contacted ebay's customer service and asked them what I should do (I don't want to do the wrong thing and end up without any leverage to ensure I get my refund) and the associate is researching it for me, but said the cancellation the seller started is for when the buyer doesn't have the item, not for item not as described.

Did you check your PayPal account to see if the refund is there? Proper protocol is for the Seller is to issue refund THEN have order officially cancelled so they can receive their fees back. Let her know that you will be happy to send back the email to eBay AFTER you receive your refund.