How to protect myself from buyer

FWIW, things do get lost in the mail and it's not completely black and white about "liability" when that happens.

My story - not eBay related - -I've been a loyal customer of Apple's for ten years - as in, three computers, six or seven phones, three ipods, three ipads, countless apps/accessories - and I am currently blacklisted from their website because I filed a "did not receive" claim with my credit card for a laptop that I definitely did not receive. (It was sent to an APO/IPO facility that rejected it - deciding not to forward to me as laptops are "hazards" - and then somehow disappeared instead of making it back to Apple. So someone in USPS, US military/state, or Apple returns intake now has that laptop.)

I mention this just to say there are unsavory characters in mail, just as everywhere else... it is *possible* something was lost. Or it was stolen from her porch. When things happen to a shipment from a company, often the company eats that cost - even if they remain skeptical of the buyer in the future. When it happens to a private citizen on eBay, it's no longer the same case. But online stores really bake in "loss" to the cost of doing business... they assume crap happens.

Which is really lucky for me, as it's Apple that's out $1600, not me. And even though I have to buy my toys in-store now, I'm a loyal customer still.

She should be reported to the credit card company for fraud, to do the chargeback, I understand she world have had to submit an affidavit that the item was SNAD. Well, if it was INR, how can it be SNAD? Id be pushing PP to inform the CC company if it were my case.

Thanks, I’ve tried so I hope they do. I called in and basically told them her statements don’t match up now. If she never received it, how can it not be as described

Hopefully they do something about it.

FWIW, things do get lost in the mail and it's not completely black and white about "liability" when that happens.

My story - not eBay related - -I've been a loyal customer of Apple's for ten years - as in, three computers, six or seven phones, three ipods, three ipads, countless apps/accessories - and I am currently blacklisted from their website because I filed a "did not receive" claim with my credit card for a laptop that I definitely did not receive. (It was sent to an APO/IPO facility that rejected it - deciding not to forward to me as laptops are "hazards" - and then somehow disappeared instead of making it back to Apple. So someone in USPS, US military/state, or Apple returns intake now has that laptop.)

I mention this just to say there are unsavory characters in mail, just as everywhere else... it is *possible* something was lost. Or it was stolen from her porch. When things happen to a shipment from a company, often the company eats that cost - even if they remain skeptical of the buyer in the future. When it happens to a private citizen on eBay, it's no longer the same case. But online stores really bake in "loss" to the cost of doing business... they assume crap happens.

Which is really lucky for me, as it's Apple that's out $1600, not me. And even though I have to buy my toys in-store now, I'm a loyal customer still.

This I would understand, if the tracking stopped or disappeared, or was marked as returned or mis directed as yours was, this has happened to me too.

But the buyer asked it to be shipped priority mail, padded rate envelope - because it fits into her mail box - asked I not send it any other way - and I did so.

If it was not only the fact that she stated shipping it priority mail envelope would fit into her mail box, then she contacted me demanding a full refund - because the item did not have signature required, so she didn’t get it, not an inquiry but a full demand, and the fact that she’s now changed her story from INR to SNAD I would be more likely to believe her.

Just because an item was reported as "delivered" on the USPS web site doesn't mean it actually was. A birthday present I mailed to my mom came up as "delivered" but she never received it. I spoke with the mail carrier's supervisor a couple days later. He spoke to the carrier. The carrier claimed he never delivered a package to that address, and had not delivered any packages that day. I suspect the package, which was very small in order to fit inside the mailbox, had been stolen at the post office when it was loaded onto the carrier's vehicle. At the end of the day the carrier scanned the barcodes for all the packages on his manifest as "delivered." That's pretty typical.

Or maybe the package was delivered to the wrong address. That's also common. My neighbors have gotten a lot of packages addressed to me. Some live as far away as several blocks.

When filing a chargeback our Visa card only provides an "item not as described" option. There is no separate "item not received" option.

Just because an item was reported as "delivered" on the USPS web site doesn't mean it actually was. A birthday present I mailed to my mom came up as "delivered" but she never received it. I spoke with the mail carrier's supervisor a couple days later. He spoke to the carrier. The carrier claimed he never delivered a package to that address, and had not delivered any packages that day. I suspect the package, which was very small in order to fit inside the mailbox, had been stolen at the post office when it was loaded onto the carrier's vehicle. At the end of the day the carrier scanned the barcodes for all the packages on his manifest as "delivered." That's pretty typical.

Or maybe the package was delivered to the wrong address. That's also common. My neighbors have gotten a lot of packages addressed to me. Some live as far away as several blocks.

When filing a chargeback our Visa card only provides an "item not as described" option. There is no separate "item not received" option.

I do understand that packages do go missing as this has happened to me.

But its the timing of this all that I find does not seem right

Buyer asks that I send it usps priority mail - since she’s never had problems with them before and has with ups and fedex.

Then she does not contact me until 4/5 days after the tracking says it was delivered. When she does she states there was no signature required so she did not get it and demands a full refund that moment.

Opens a ebay case for item not received - lost - then does a charge back with her amex - from the charge back code I was able to find out it was amex - which does allow for a charge back for item not received but she changes her story to suit her case.

Now today I see she is no longer a registered user on ebay.

This is all why I find that I don’t believe her.

I have had items go missing as both a buyer and seller so I do understand that it happens - It was the fact it seemed right off the bat this buyer was giving off the vibes of strangeness.

The first email I got from her days after the item was scanned delivered - she stated the package had no signature required, she didn’t get it, wants a full refund now and that I can deal with usps for a claim for the missing package - which I had never heard of since the package was scanned delivered.

Then the follow up messages just got worse as she got more ruder in demanding a full refund asap.

I felt by her tone and actions that she did indeed do this before and got away with it.

Hence maybe why she did not want fedex or ups - which has a more lenient “item not received” policy and are more accountable via the drivers - the driver will track down a package - from my experience - if it was delivered to a wrong address - or ask the receiver to sign a letter saying a package that was left on a front door was indeed not received - this is from my own experiences with having a packages go missing with ups.

The USPS will not.

I do understand that packages do go missing as this has happened to me.

But its the timing of this all that I find does not seem right

Buyer asks that I send it usps priority mail - since she’s never had problems with them before and has with ups and fedex.

Then she does not contact me until 4/5 days after the tracking says it was delivered. When she does she states there was no signature required so she did not get it and demands a full refund that moment.

Opens a ebay case for item not received - lost - then does a charge back with her amex - from the charge back code I was able to find out it was amex - which does allow for a charge back for item not received but she changes her story to suit her case.

Now today I see she is no longer a registered user on ebay.

This is all why I find that I don’t believe her.

I have had items go missing as both a buyer and seller so I do understand that it happens - It was the fact it seemed right off the bat this buyer was giving off the vibes of strangeness.

The first email I got from her days after the item was scanned delivered - she stated the package had no signature required, she didn’t get it, wants a full refund now and that I can deal with usps for a claim for the missing package - which I had never heard of since the package was scanned delivered.

Then the follow up messages just got worse as she got more ruder in demanding a full refund asap.

I felt by her tone and actions that she did indeed do this before and got away with it.

Hence maybe why she did not want fedex or ups - which has a more lenient “item not received” policy and are more accountable via the drivers - the driver will track down a package - from my experience - if it was delivered to a wrong address - or ask the receiver to sign a letter saying a package that was left on a front door was indeed not received - this is from my own experiences with having a packages go missing with ups.

The USPS will not.

While I completely agree that many packages are delivered and then stolen off your porch (I had 4 stolen this year, which I suspect was by a certain neighbor, until I got a security camera I put on my porch) the other factors (taking 4 days to note the missing package, her account being suspended) make it seem like it was not a stolen package.

I'm glad you had better experiences with ups, because when my over $1000 handbag was stolen they did diddly squat for me.

ladies - just to give you guys an update

The buyer stated now that they are willing to send the item back to me for a full refund,
this is what paypal has informed me via email today.
Paypal only gave me 24 hours to get back to them on how to proceed with a return or I would have lost my case automatically.

Lucky I checked my email every day - for those how check it every other day - that would have been trouble.

I’ve accepted a return of course. Since I would have anyway - full refund policy.

So I’m hopping she really will return the item.

But paypal has informed me that with a merchandise charge back - if her card company gives it to her - I would be out a lost no matter what. I could call back if she doesn’t return it and gets her money back too and paypal will try to “work with me” what ever that means but I would have to take her to small claims court to resolve it.

ladies - just to give you guys an update

The buyer stated now that they are willing to send the item back to me for a full refund,
this is what paypal has informed me via email today.
Paypal only gave me 24 hours to get back to them on how to proceed with a return or I would have lost my case automatically.

Lucky I checked my email every day - for those how check it every other day - that would have been trouble.

I’ve accepted a return of course. Since I would have anyway - full refund policy.

So I’m hopping she really will return the item.

But paypal has informed me that with a merchandise charge back - if her card company gives it to her - I would be out a lost no matter what. I could call back if she doesn’t return it and gets her money back too and paypal will try to “work with me” what ever that means but I would have to take her to small claims court to resolve it.

She is a scammer since she has the item. I hope PayPal makes note of the fact that she didn't receive the item in her original filing and now is returning it.

My fingers are crossed that she ships your item back in perfect condition.