How to protect and care for Deerskin

ahhgoo

Shopaholic
O.G.
Oct 30, 2010
Just bought a deerskin bag. Heard that deerskin absorbs oil so will need to get some leather protection products that doesn't contain silicon.

Wondering if anyone has experience or recommendations on products to protect this skin? Looking for products that ships to North America.

Just bought a deerskin bag. Heard that deerskin absorbs oil so will need to get some leather protection products that doesn't contain silicon.

Wondering if anyone has experience or recommendations on products to protect this skin? Looking for products that ships to North America.

Honestly, all leathers have somewhat similar base qualities to start with (more or less). So deerskin similarly tanned and finished to calf for instance, will have similar properties.

Your deerkin bag could be very absorbant, or it could be very protected, there is no way of knowing just by the leather type.

Try this: drop a tiny bit of water on the leather (somewhere on the base for instance). If it absorbs it, it will also absorb everything else (oil etc). If it wipes off without leaving a mark, then the leather is well protected.

How does the leather feel when you touch it? The softer and more tactile the surface feels, the less covered it is. If it feels 'plasticy' then there is a bunch of pigment on top of the leather surface and it shouldnt absorb much.

Hope this helps.. let me know how you get on!

Oliver

Honestly, all leathers have somewhat similar base qualities to start with (more or less). So deerskin similarly tanned and finished to calf for instance, will have similar properties.

Your deerkin bag could be very absorbant, or it could be very protected, there is no way of knowing just by the leather type.

Try this: drop a tiny bit of water on the leather (somewhere on the base for instance). If it absorbs it, it will also absorb everything else (oil etc). If it wipes off without leaving a mark, then the leather is well protected.

How does the leather feel when you touch it? The softer and more tactile the surface feels, the less covered it is. If it feels 'plasticy' then there is a bunch of pigment on top of the leather surface and it shouldnt absorb much.

Hope this helps.. let me know how you get on!

Oliver

Thank you Oliver for your input. It is very soft and tactile, and definitely absorbent. I usually like to smell new leathers and there was a bit of oil on my nose that marked the leather. Had to use my fingers to gently wipe it off.

Now I haven’t used it yet until I can find a proper product that is non-greasy but protects against grease.