How to prevent leaky pens inside bags?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
A few months ago I had a pen leak inside my purse. It got all over my cosmetic case which fortunately was washable and came out fine. I don't recall ever having this problem before but I started thinking I just purchased a nice wallet which is light colored leather and wouldn't want ink on it. Right now the pen I'm carrying is a ballpoint retractable tip. It's not the cheapest kind but not an expensive one either. I wouldn't want to use one with just a cap on the end. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to buy a better pen? I really want my pen to be conveniently available. Don't really want to put inside zipper compartment.

This is a good question! I think your retractable ball-point is a good idea. That's what I started doing. Although I haven't had a serious pen leak it's something I've dreaded. Especially as I like writing with fibre-tip pens! So I swiped one of my husband's rectractable Pilot pens. I actually quite like using a pencil as well, so long as I'm not signing cheques, filling forms, etc. I find a 2B pencil soft and dark enough to write with. As I'm a writer I try to keep those lying around in case I want to jot notes in my pad.

I don't keep gel or liquid ink type pens in my purse. The barrels are made out of plastic and can leak. I'd pass on the "clicker" type of pens that have the retractable tip since things can get jostled in your purse and then the pen can get retracted "out" to mark your bag or other items.

The "answer" for me has been to use ball-point (the old-fashioned ink kind) pens that either have a screw on cap or a pen where you have to twist the top of the pen to get the tip of the pen out.

Borders Bookstores have some cute styles in colorful designs that have the twisting top for under $10. Since the pen is "colorful", I always find it easily in my purse and since it's so cute, I'm good about not leaving it behind and being pen-less!

I haven't carried a 'loose' pen in years - I use a leather "pen parapet" by Levenger, available here. They have other styles as well. I highly recommend them. I've been using a red leather case for over a year and it's just perfect for me.

The only pen I will carry is the one in my Coach organizer thingy for my Palm. The pen has the pen part, pencil part and stylus. It is always in it's little leather loop in the zipped up organizer.

Since it is the only pen I carry with me (and I hate using the ones at the grocery stores, yuck) I am careful to put it right back where it belongs.

I don't carry pens in my expensive bags, but if you needed to you could pick up a cute LeSportsac pouch for a pretty reasonable price and carry them in that (works well for cosmetics also).

I don't keep gel or liquid ink type pens in my purse. The barrels are made out of plastic and can leak. I'd pass on the "clicker" type of pens that have the retractable tip since things can get jostled in your purse and then the pen can get retracted "out" to mark your bag or other items.

The "answer" for me has been to use ball-point (the old-fashioned ink kind) pens that either have a screw on cap or a pen where you have to twist the top of the pen to get the tip of the pen out.

:yes: I switched to carrying the twist-retractable pens, and I haven't had an issue in years.