How to politely ask friends to quite sending junk e-mails??

miu2

Chewy Redlands CA Police K-9
O.G.
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know if it's just my age or what, but I am soooo sick and tired of getting forwarded e-mails from my friends. You know, the "just thinking of you.....", "forward this to 5 friends and wait for a miracle to happen in your life........", "thought this was funny.....". "what celebrity-type are you......." etc, etc, etc.

I know that they mean well, but I am just sick of them and most often simply delete all emails that I see are "forwarded" to me. They clog up my mailbox and are just overall annoying to me.

If they are informational, I don't mind. But just those to take a quiz, or tell me that I am a great friend, cartoons, and the like are just a waste of my time.

So any suggestions on how to word a polite request to stop sending them
to me?

I hate these as well. Since I receive so many emails a day at work, sifting through junk really pisses me off.

In the past, when a friend got too prolific with his/her junk sharing, I would send an email to this effect..."Funny/amusing link! I love that you thought to share this with me, but I'm getting so many emails a day that it's really hard to manage them all. Could you send less stuff or forward to this email (said email I use for junk)? Thanks."

The best way is to tell them face to face or on the phone....not in an email to them. There's no 'tone' to the email....your friend will hear your voice and know you aren't trying to be hurtful...you just aren't interested in the junk.

I'm always honest with people

"Hey, do you mind taking me off your distribution list for your joke/politcal/propaganda/baby pics/dog pics/hobbie pics/religious emails?"

You don't need a reason, nor should they expect one.

I hear ya, Mui2

I have a couple of friends who send me political jokes (hate those!) and risque cartoons (hate those more!).

Tried talking to them via phone. Didn't get the message.

So now I just delete all forwarded junk.

If I miss something important to them, that's their fault.

You know, I have a friend who is recently recovering from breast cancer. A few of us really rallied around her and helped her get through the chemo, treatments, surgery, etc. Well since then, she is constantly sending those mushy, 'love you..', love my friends, thank you all...... poems and powerpoints and anything feel good. I understand that she is appreciative of our support, but enough is enough. I really don't want to hurt her feelings, but jeez already. She is just one of the many other friends who send me stuff. I just don't know how they have the time............:shrugs:

I had a friend forwarded all kinds of emails like that, junk. Like Aslan, I asked her to forward any mails, anything to another email (the personal email rather than work email) instead.

i had a friend that would always send me very rude emails, they were mostly of nude chicks...he sent them to my husband as well. we both finally got tired of it and dh replied to him and asked him to not send that to us any more...he pretty much has stopped sending anything at all. so that is nice.

all you can do is ask... :smile:

You know, you might be able to set up a "rule" or something like that, where anytime you get an email with "FW:" in the subject line, it moves it to a junk mail folder where you can review them at your convenience.

A friend of mine (who had no idea of my political persuasion, but assumed it was the same as hers) used to send me political/religious/propoganda emails regularly. Finally one day I refuted each one she sent me that day and referred her to snopes. Fortunately, she continued sending me correspondence emails and stopped the forwarded messages.

My MIL does this NON-STOP and it drives me Crazy!!!!! She forwards everything she gets to me and my husband. And I'm sorry to say this, but this woman has NO life and picks the worst stuff to send us because someone sent it to her. She sends us jokes, inspirational emails, chain emails and the emails that say "send this to 10 people and we will send you a free gift card to ___ restaurant or ___ store, blah, blah, blah."

She has backed off in the last year or so. But it was only when my husband and I told her we don't open anything she sends because there is usually a virus attached to it. Which in her case is TRUE because she gets crap from her other boring friends, who got it from their boring friends and so on, etc. so by the time they reach us they've been forwarded a million times and have all sorts of crap hidden and attached.

Lucky for us she's backed off. In fact I can't remember the last time I got something from her.

My parents do this! I just delete all of their forwards without reading them. Apparently they haven't caught on because sometimes they'll bring up a particular joke forward and I'll tell them I didn't read it...but they keep sending them! I do ask them not to send their e-mails to my work account, though.

Sometimes my mother will send me forwards from friends of hers who have very different political/religious beliefs than we -- because they annoy her so she wants to annoy me with them! I have been know to reply to all and send a snopes link, too! ;)

My MIL does this NON-STOP and it drives me Crazy!!!!! She forwards everything she gets to me and my husband. And I'm sorry to say this, but this woman has NO life and picks the worst stuff to send us because someone sent it to her. She sends us jokes, inspirational emails, chain emails and the emails that say "send this to 10 people and we will send you a free gift card to ___ restaurant or ___ store, blah, blah, blah."

She has backed off in the last year or so. But it was only when my husband and I told her we don't open anything she sends because there is usually a virus attached to it. Which in her case is TRUE because she gets crap from her other boring friends, who got it from their boring friends and so on, etc. so by the time they reach us they've been forwarded a million times and have all sorts of crap hidden and attached.

Lucky for us she's backed off. In fact I can't remember the last time I got something from her.

You crack me up! Oh how I can relate.:smile: