how to NOT get scammed when selling on eBay?

bellsbells

Nov 21, 2012
I have been buying and selling on eBay since 1999, with only a few problems over the years, all of which were resolved. I have sold mostly clothes, cameras, computers, etc. and never luxury items. I now have a major luxury label bag I want to sell that is worth 1300 euros. I really don't want to go through consignment because they take at least 40% and I will lose a lot of money. All I want it to get back what I paid (the bag is unused). Since the bag is very hard to find in stores and is basically sold out, I think I may even be able to get a bit more than retail via eBay. But, I've read a lot of horror stories here and I was wondering if there is some solid advice to prevent being scammed? My biggest worry is that the buyer will try to claim I sent a fake item, or the wrong item, or a used item, etc. (I have the original receipt and the item is 100% authentic).

You can specify that bidders with negative feedback be banned from bidding, but unfortunately you can't ban new bidders or those with no feedback at all. I can manually cancel bids from new accounts, but if the bidding gets heated in the end and a new bidder wins, I'll be at a loss for what to do about it.

Any advice appreciated!

You can set up buyer requirements to block low feedback buyers. Also I would ( even thought you have the receipt) get the item authenticated by a third party that way if there is a dispute you have proof of authenticity because I don't think eBay will accept receipts as proof of authenticity because they can be faked.

Sorry, but I know of no way to block low fb buyers.

What you can do is set the price a bit high and do Best Offer. That way you can check out the prospective buyer before agreeing to accept their price.

Good luck!

I would have the bag authenticated by a third party & include that info
in your listing & would also mention in the listing that a security tag will
be on the item. If the tag is removed the item will not be accepted for a
return.

Receipts can be faked & are not of much use because of that.

You can also have a best offer or set a higher price & check out
the "buyers history" & you can check out that buyer on toolhaus.org as well.

Can you try to sell your item privately??

Good luck...

What you can do is set the price a bit high and do Best Offer. That way you can check out the prospective buyer before agreeing to accept their price.

Good luck!

Ah, excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that!

BTW, how can I get the bag authenticated in Paris? (Celine boutiques may or may not authenticate bags depending on the SA, but I'm pretty sure in no case would they provide written proof.) Do you think authenticating here here in the tPF forums would suffice?

return.

How can I get a security tag?
I would love to sell the item privately, but I don't know a reputable place to list it and don't know people who would consider spending that much on a handbag :shame:

Remember reading awhile back,that a seller put a security tag that had a combination
on it. Buyer had to contact the seller for the "combo" & once the combo was
given & the security tag removed, no returns.

While there isn't much to discourage a determined scammer, a seller
can make it more challenging by doing this.. you just never know what
will work & won't work.

Others may chime in what other things might work.

Is there something like a Craig's list in Paris?? Where you can list items
in a newsletter type of way??

Good luck!

return.

Receipts can be faked & are not of much use because of that.

You can also have a best offer or set a higher price & check out
the "buyers history" & you can check out that buyer on toolhaus.org as well.

Good luck...

Authenticate4U does Celine I think.

IMO tyveks don't really do a thing to discourage a determined scammer.

Wuao!! You both (poopsie2, and hotshot) have wonderful suggestions! Thank you both for that:smile: sorry for asking but, May I know what tyveks mean? TIA for giving us great tips!

Wuao!! You both (poopsie2, and hotshot) have wonderful suggestions! Thank you both for that:smile: sorry for asking but, May I know what tyveks mean? TIA for giving us great tips!

Tyvek is a security tag that can only be removed if cut..

It is used on clothing, jewelry, handbags, etc...

Some people have success using them others not...

There are many of us here on the forum that give great advice

that's why its always good/important to ask your question.

Many of us have either experienced a similiar situation or
can help according to what the issue might be.

Some say they are good, and they write that once they have been removed, the bag cannot be returned (so a seller knows their bag isn't switched out for a fake, or "rented" for an occasion). The only problem is that if they claim SNAD, the tags are useless in the eyes of ebay/paypal, the same as videotaping boxing/sending. Scammers will find a way around most anything with the way ebay is so slanted towards buyers.

Tyvek is a security tag that can only be removed if cut..

It is used on clothing, jewelry, handbags, etc...

Some people have success using them others not...

There are many of us here on the forum that give great advice

that's why its always good/important to ask your question.

Many of us have either experienced a similiar situation or
can help according to what the issue might be.

Thank you for explaining! And yes I posted my question yesterday and some people including tutushopper were helping me out. Thank you again;)

Some say they are good, and they write that once they have been removed, the bag cannot be returned (so a seller knows their bag isn't switched out for a fake, or "rented" for an occasion). The only problem is that if they claim SNAD, the tags are useless in the eyes of ebay/paypal, the same as videotaping boxing/sending. Scammers will find a way around most anything with the way ebay is so slanted towards buyers.

Tutushopper you know I have told you many times, I can't thank you enough for always helping me and it's great to have you always everywhere to talk about everything!

Thank you for explaining! And yes I posted my question yesterday and some people including tutushopper were helping me out. Thank you again;)

Tutushopper you know I have told you many times, I can't thank you enough for always helping me and it's great to have you always everywhere to talk about everything!

You are such a sweetie! I'm very glad to help and be here for talking, shopping, or just listening. :smile: :hugs:

Yes, that is so... but if it is a SNAD the seller should take the return
& thus get their bag back with the security tag still in place. I don't
know how else one can circumvent that.

However, I most certainly think that scammers will figure out a
way to do what they do... after all they are professional for the
most part at scamming...