How to Move LV when relocating.

RealHouseWife1

The Universe Guru
O.G.
May 23, 2011
Hey guys,

My husband's job transferred and we are moving to Houston!! On a side note I'm finally going to have a LV store in my town! So his company is offering a relocation package which includes movers packing and driving down all our belongings. We will be flying down a few days later with the kids. Do I let the movers take my LV collection or fly it there? Either way it seems risky!!!

What to do?

Fly them with you! I'd put them in a carry-on or two rather than check it in. It's the safest way because only you handle your carry-on and it's right there above your head the whole time.

oooh, that would be scary, I think I would package them up, take them somewhere safe (a relative's house, maybe) and then ship them to myself in the new house before I would trrust them with movers or baggage handlers! I just read an article in my paper a few days ago- it's a weekly column written by a military wife who moves a lot- she has never once been moved that her belongings haven't been stolen by moving companies, so I definitely wouldn't trust them!

I know your pain!! When we relocated from Japan to Finland I couldn´t take all my beloved bags with me on the flight home, so I did some preorganizing and packed myself the bags I didn´t love too much and then chose the very nearest and dearest to fly with me... some went into the suitcases and some were in my carry-ons! And I did this thing twice, actually! :sweatdrop: We flew for a pre-visit for kids' schools a month and a half before the actual move, and I took several bags with me then and they stayed with my parents until we got home permanently.

I have to say that everything was packed really well by the Japanese company and nothing was lost on the way home ! Domo arigato!! But it may be a bit different in the U.S. as trumanfinn noted... Good luck!

I've relocated for work twice in the last two years and allowed movers to pack and ship my belongings including my luxury RTW, shoes, accessories and handbags. I supervised the movers and made sure the items were well packed. My peace of mind came from knowing the items were well insured!!! Just take your jewelry and fave items on the flight with you. Congrats to your hubby and good luck in Houston!

I would first look at the guarantees of the moving company...if something comes up "missing" are you able to be refunded? If so, then I would pack up your bags that can be replaced (meaning that you can go to the store and purchase those exact bags because they are still being made). For anything LE, I would bring those as a carry-on...I NEVER check LV because I'm terrified that they will lose my luggage.

Definitely don't check any of your bags on your flights. If you can -try to put them in your carry-ons--maybe your DH can take one also and your kids too--to keep them by you in the overheads. This would be my first choice.

But, Trumanfinn's idea of packing and shipping them is good too but you'd have to make sure you can sign for them or better yet--have them hold them there so you can pick them up. Fedex is pretty good with that. Maybe others can chime in if they've had USPS do that.....

When I had to move from California to East coast, I boxed and shipped my bags with insurance to my mother's house so she could sign for everything and make sure it was all there. I carried one of my beloved handbags with me on the plane--I didn't dare check-in any of my handbags.

Fly them with you! I'd put them in a carry-on or two rather than check it in. It's the safest way because only you handle your carry-on and it's right there above your head the whole time.

oooh, that would be scary, I think I would package them up, take them somewhere safe (a relative's house, maybe) and then ship them to myself in the new house before I would trrust them with movers or baggage handlers! I just read an article in my paper a few days ago- it's a weekly column written by a military wife who moves a lot- she has never once been moved that her belongings haven't been stolen by moving companies, so I definitely wouldn't trust them!

OH No!! Okay now I definitely will take inventory of everything that is going with them - even my non LV items!

I know your pain!! When we relocated from Japan to Finland I couldn´t take all my beloved bags with me on the flight home, so I did some preorganizing and packed myself the bags I didn´t love too much and then chose the very nearest and dearest to fly with me... some went into the suitcases and some were in my carry-ons! And I did this thing twice, actually! :sweatdrop: We flew for a pre-visit for kids' schools a month and a half before the actual move, and I took several bags with me then and they stayed with my parents until we got home permanently.

I have to say that everything was packed really well by the Japanese company and nothing was lost on the way home ! Domo arigato!! But it may be a bit different in the U.S. as trumanfinn noted... Good luck!

Good to know you had a positive experience moving!! Hope I do too!

I've relocated for work twice in the last two years and allowed movers to pack and ship my belongings including my luxury RTW, shoes, accessories and handbags. I supervised the movers and made sure the items were well packed. My peace of mind came from knowing the items were well insured!!! Just take your jewelry and fave items on the flight with you. Congrats to your hubby and good luck in Houston!

I would first look at the guarantees of the moving company...if something comes up "missing" are you able to be refunded? If so, then I would pack up your bags that can be replaced (meaning that you can go to the store and purchase those exact bags because they are still being made). For anything LE, I would bring those as a carry-on...I NEVER check LV because I'm terrified that they will lose my luggage.

I looked into the insurance/gurantee after reading the two above comments and do they have insurance. Good point on the LE bags though.

Definitely don't check any of your bags on your flights. If you can -try to put them in your carry-ons--maybe your DH can take one also and your kids too--to keep them by you in the overheads. This would be my first choice.

But, Trumanfinn's idea of packing and shipping them is good too but you'd have to make sure you can sign for them or better yet--have them hold them there so you can pick them up. Fedex is pretty good with that. Maybe others can chime in if they've had USPS do that.....

Great idea but my husband will throw a fit if he learns that I'm carrying so much baggage on the flight when we had movers lol. He is just starting to accept my LV obsession so I don't want to push my luck!

After reading all above comments and great ideas I think I will fly with a few and have my sister ship me the rest when I'm there and settled in.

Thanks guys!!

When I moved (a few times out of state) I packed what LV bags I was not taking with me in front of the movers and they sealed the box with security tape. Also they had a value form that I filled out with each bag listed and the price. I got a copy and they had one for their records. I think it was something like high value claim form. The one moving company told me to do this, I never heard of it before. All moving companies say they have insurance but it is hard to prove what is in a box and this gave me peace of mind. My bags all arrived safe. On a personal note I really would have a problem with packing people touching my stuff. Moving companies hire workers, that does not make items safe. My one friend had things stolen when her stuff was packed for a move and she did not realize things were missing until she unpacked. I guess they took things home with them while they were packing. I would have no desire to let anyone go through my clothing, and personal papers.

When I moved (a few times out of state) I packed what LV bags I was not taking with me in front of the movers and they sealed the box with security tape. Also they had a value form that I filled out with each bag listed and the price. I got a copy and they had one for their records. I think it was something like high value claim form. The one moving company told me to do this, I never heard of it before. All moving companies say they have insurance but it is hard to prove what is in a box and this gave me peace of mind. My bags all arrived safe. On a personal note I really would have a problem with packing people touching my stuff. Moving companies hire workers, that does not make items safe. My one friend had things stolen when her stuff was packed for a move and she did not realize things were missing until she unpacked. I guess they took things home with them while they were packing. I would have no desire to let anyone go through my clothing, and personal papers.

That's horrible. I'm thinking of taking pictures of things that are designer or more expensive and emailing them to myself for reference.

this is a great idea.

and welcome to Houston! you'll have a free-standing store plus the boutique in Neiman Marcus and the boutique in Saks, all at the Galleria Mall.