How to make earrings more secure?

Clinn236

Jul 27, 2017
My FIL bought me a pair of gorgeous pearl and diamond earrings to wear for my wedding. They are rose gold posts with friction backs. I only have one other pair of diamond studs and they have screw backs, which always felt secure and never gave me too much worry. The friction backs on these freak me out, though. Besides knowing that these earrings were expensive, they are also very special, sentimental, and beautiful, incorporating all of my favorite elements (pearls, rose gold, and a bit of sparkle). I would be absolutely sick if I lost one of them. I wore them for the wedding with no problem, but I want to wear them for everyday as well. Is there a way to make the backs more secure? Am I just being paranoid?
pearl earrings.JPG

I bought these on Amazon a couple of years ago (wearing them now with a pair of fave earrings) and they really work, though some of the reviews say they can get tangled in long hair (I haven't had that problem). Two pair for $12 or so. And your earrings are fabulous, btw!!

LOX™ Mega-Grip Earring Backs

Thank you all for your suggestions! Those of you who have tried these backs, do you find that they are better/ more secure than the backs that came with the earrings?

Just wanna say those are gorgeous earrings, Clinn!

I was given a pair of pearl and diamond earrings many years ago and I'm embarrassed to say that I've never worn them out of fear of losing them. I want to try some of these recommended locking backs too. Although the Amazon reviews for some appear to be mixed.

@kemilia @BigPurseSue Thank you! I love these earrings so much but I am just petrified to lose one. I have successfully worn them once since my wedding, but kept reaching up to check that they were still there, which I am sure probably jostled them and made them less secure than if I had just left them alone!

I bought these on Amazon a couple of years ago (wearing them now with a pair of fave earrings) and they really work, though some of the reviews say they can get tangled in long hair (I haven't had that problem). Two pair for $12 or so. And your earrings are fabulous, btw!!

LOX™ Mega-Grip Earring Backs
Kemilia, what kind of earrings do you wear these backs with?

There are several other options that you could consider bling dots https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B...WoToL&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1505921500359 and lobe wonder https://www.amazon.com/Lobe-Wonder-...gs/dp/B00EXPX37A#immersive-view_1505921549489 to keep earrings tight and give you support by holding their weight so they sit proportionately. I have both and they work well. I get these from Amazon.

If they are really super special like you state it might be worth it to just get your family jeweler to change the backs to make them more secure like the screw ons or put notches in the back and do the La Poussette backs.

Several people have also had luck with Levears. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...ing+backs+secure#immersive-view_1505921417966

Jumbo backs might also be an option, but I have found the most secure to be the screw backs and La Poussette. HTH! Good luck and I hope you find backs that make you feel safe wearing them so that you can enjoy wearing them frequently.
IMG_1505921880.046816.jpg

@kemilia @BigPurseSue Thank you! I love these earrings so much but I am just petrified to lose one. I have successfully worn them once since my wedding, but kept reaching up to check that they were still there, which I am sure probably jostled them and made them less secure than if I had just left them alone!

Kemilia, what kind of earrings do you wear these backs with?
I wear these backs with all my stud earrings now and they are really secure, so much that I sometimes have to really concentrate to get them off (you have to squeeze them while pulling them off).

I know about always reaching up to check my earrings--I have a pair of gold hoops that are always trying to get away from me (can't use backs on them). Good luck with whatever you choose, but these backs work well and they are CHEAP!

Your earrings are gorgeous, @Clinn236. :love: Like others have said, there are several different options for you from specialized backs for pearls to patches for stability. You will have to research & read the reviews. I have used Levears earring backs for my large pearl studs for security & stability with no problems. I have 14K gold & Sterling Silver. They do make plastic ones but I wouldn't waste my time with those. They don't fit as well as the metal ones. Since these earrings are very special, I would recommend taking them to a jeweler you trust & have the posts changed out for screw backs with a larger back for stability. I did that with a pair of diamond & Tahitian pearl drop earrings DH gave me years ago. I didn't want to lose them because they mean so much to me. I have never regretted it. You can discuss it with your jeweler to decide if the screw post would be sufficient or if you should go with Omega backs. Good luck & let us know what you decide.:smile:

Thanks everyone for all of your help (and your compliments on my earrings!). I have never taken anything to a jeweler to have it altered before, with the exception of ring sizing, so that seems a bit intimidating. I might try some of the backs that you have all suggested first. The earrings do have notches on them, so maybe the La Pousette would be a good option. I will let you know what I try!

Reactions: cdtracing
There are several other options that you could consider bling dots https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B...WoToL&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1505921500359 and lobe wonder https://www.amazon.com/Lobe-Wonder-...gs/dp/B00EXPX37A#immersive-view_1505921549489 to keep earrings tight and give you support by holding their weight so they sit proportionately. I have both and they work well. I get these from Amazon.

If they are really super special like you state it might be worth it to just get your family jeweler to change the backs to make them more secure like the screw ons or put notches in the back and do the La Poussette backs.

Several people have also had luck with Levears. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...ing+backs+secure#immersive-view_1505921417966

Jumbo backs might also be an option, but I have found the most secure to be the screw backs and La Poussette. HTH! Good luck and I hope you find backs that make you feel safe wearing them so that you can enjoy wearing them frequently.
View attachment 3829969
Do you need to have a special type of post for the la pousette to fit?

Do you need to have a special type of post for the la pousette to fit?

I believe any notched post should work.

But, posts do vary in thicknesses so it would be best to get the backs from a jeweler to make sure that you get the best (tightest) fit. All of my La Pousette earrings have come directly from their respective jewelry manufacturer that way.

You might be able to use calipers to measure and order the La Pousette backs yourself, but I would rather pay a bit more and go to a jeweler and get the perfect fit. It is worth the security and peace of mind. JMHO.