How to look more sophisticated?

This thread is such a good idea! I enjoyed it all so much so far!
I also think it is important to define what determines unsophisticated people. IMO, unsophisticated is often due to:
- A nervous character. Being stressed and acting stressed. Being in control of one's emotions is definitely a sign of sophistication.
- Not enough confidence and showing it. Like not looking people in their eyes when talking, or letting your shoulders low. Bad posture, like already mentioned above.
- Bad mood and showing it to everyone. Also a negative attitude in general. Negativity is such an unattractive thing. No matter how much you make, your negativity says it all.
- Oversharing information. Whenever you tell too much personal information is far from being sophisticated.
- Showing off. Bragging about your last and expensive holiday or purchase. Or telling how cheap something was. I can also recall that when you host a dinner party, and someone compliments you for your cooking skills, simply say thanks and leave the conversation. Never start telling how your food was made and what twist you've added to the recipe.
- When someone cannot listen and let other people talk.
- When there's a lack of modesty and humility. With that in mind, do not try to prove everyone that you are such a diva, by criticizing or commenting loudly the food, location, drinks or other people or any other aspect of the social situation you are into. Respect everyone, no matter how rich or educated you consider yourself in front of the other person. Smiling and making other people feel welcome adds sophistication. And humility.
- People who speak loud, or are hectic. Nothing more awkward than to sit in a posh restaurant and to have someone sitting next to you who looks groomed and sophisticated, but then someone calls them and all the beauty is suddenly gone.
- When people do not look groomed or like if they care.

I'm not sure if by sophisticated, you are also asking about education and wealth, but the face can be a clue about that also. Unfortunately there are notable exceptions, but since you're working on the visual, and we're speaking in generalities, people who are comfortable and secure, and have come from a long line of comfort and security generally look pleasant and at ease wherever they are. A hard, tense, or b****hy face tends to look like one is trying too hard and is forced to strive in the world. Anything that looks mean, vulgar or trying too hard is the antithesis of sophistication. Dropping in a few pics of Aerin Lauder, who always seems pleasant and at ease no matter how dressy or casual...

03-aerin-lauder-9-to-5.jpg 4f61bdea86972d0519adabdd2886ee90--aerin-lauder-summer-hair.jpg AerinLauder_Tunic-570x740.jpg 102737881_w.jpg aerin-lauder-holiday-entertaining-hp.jpg

(And why shouldn't she?) :smile: A little smile looks intelligent, well-adjusted, and happy.

This is a fun thread. The point isn’t so much walking around smiling like a big goof all day, it’s that one’s expressions and self-carriage can make or break an otherwise elegant look. I stumbled across a website comparing photos of celebrities looking pleasant and then caught in a scowl. Interestingly, what they were wearing could not begin to compensate when they looked angry or unhappy. Ideally we’d all actually be relaxed and content for real :smile: but since we’ve been discussing working on the visual aspect of elegance and sophistication, it’s pretty hard to simply concentrate on clothes without considering the effect of everything else about one’s look.

It is hard to define, but elegance and sophistication have a countenance about them, it goes beyond just choosing the right designer dress. Sometimes I wish it was as easy as choosing from a menu to be elegant, because then money would always be a guarantee of chic: Fur coat- check, Chanel suit- check, Hermes scarf- check, Dior bag- check, big diamonds and expensive watch- check. I’ve just found in my own life that it’s not quite so straightforward as that. :smile:

Last edited:
This is a fun thread. The point isn’t so much walking around smiling like a big goof all day, it’s that one’s expressions and self-carriage can make or break an otherwise elegant look. I stumbled across a website comparing photos of celebrities looking pleasant and then caught in a scowl. Interestingly, what they were wearing could not begin to compensate when they looked angry or unhappy. Ideally we’d all actually be relaxed and content for real :smile: but since we’ve been discussing working on the visual aspect of elegance and sophistication, it’s pretty hard to simply concentrate on clothes without considering the effect of everything else about one’s look.

It is hard to define, but elegance and sophistication have a countenance about them, it goes beyond just choosing the right designer dress. Sometimes I wish it was as easy as choosing from a menu to be elegant, because then money would always be a guarantee of chic: Fur coat- check, Chanel suit- check, Hermes scarf- check, Dior bag- check, big diamonds and expensive watch- check. I’ve just found in my own life that it’s not quite so straightforward as that. :smile:

yes - there may be some cultures where this is a very desirable look, however in others cultures, it would simply appear as a little vulgar and completely devoid of imagination.