How to look more sophisticated?

are you talking about something like these??...i thought the model looked so chic and sophisticated in those leather pants, the one wearing leather leggings looked trendy instead. the difference between skinny and cigarette?? i
View attachment 3790646
8036896f23502e79cb66c06a22c392eb.jpg
View attachment 3790646

To me they're both in smart-casual. Kinda mainstream fashion does edgy, like when pop does rock.

Sophistication isn't inborn, following trends or any specific silhouette. Sophisticated (IMO) should mean informed, worldly, complex, deceptively 'effortless', having had experiences (at whatever age) and so on. It's very hard to import because as Swanky pointed out, it's more about the person than a thing, but I do think, like most desired qualities, it is possible to become something authentic by becoming and transforming through emulation.

The difference between 'skinny jeans' (slang/abbreviation) and cigarette pants (forbidden/androgynous) is not the silhouette, nor the 'thing', it's the language.

Last edited:
I'm thinking more along the lines of "first lady sophisticated". Like Jackie O. She's been known to wear plain things and still look fabulous.

For example, if I read the news everyday, speak foreign languages, don't get mad at people and never go to work without tucking my blouse in my suit pants, wear simple make up and perfume everyday, am I sophisticated?

Just my opinions, and as has been mentioned none of this is worth anything if your behavior doesn't match:

No miniskirts

Good grooming

Dress your age

Make sure we can't see your underwear through your clothes

Dress for the occasion (i.e. avoid athleisure unless you're actually working out)

Wear high-quality natural fabrics wherever possible, avoid cheap fast fashion

Avoid neon

Wear scarves and hats, gloves if you can get away with it

Avoid flip-flops if you're not at the beach

Avoid clingy stretchy fabrics for everyday wear

Just my opinions, and as has been mentioned none of this is worth anything if your behavior doesn't match:

No miniskirts

Good grooming

Dress your age

Make sure we can't see your underwear through your clothes

Dress for the occasion (i.e. avoid athleisure unless you're actually working out)

Wear high-quality natural fabrics wherever possible, avoid cheap fast fashion

Avoid neon

Wear scarves and hats, gloves if you can get away with it

Avoid flip-flops if you're not at the beach

Avoid clingy stretchy fabrics for everyday wear
Agree with everything said here! :tup::tup:

When I think of sophisticated women I have met these come to mind: perfect grooming (smooth hair and groomed brows), expensive yet subtle watch and rings, diamond studs, toned down make up, monochrome clothes (beiges, taupes, blacks), silk blouse, polished and well kept shoes, mani/pedi in neutral colors, red or very dark (no in between or funky colors), semi structured bag without embellishments in neutral colors again.

movie references: Gwyneth Paltrow in A Perfect Murder, Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine,

When I think of sophisticated women I have met these come to mind: perfect grooming (smooth hair and groomed brows), expensive yet subtle watch and rings, diamond studs, toned down make up, monochrome clothes (beiges, taupes, blacks), silk blouse, polished and well kept shoes, mani/pedi in neutral colors, red or very dark (no in between or funky colors), semi structured bag without embellishments in neutral colors again.

movie references: Gwyneth Paltrow in A Perfect Murder, Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine,

Ditto

What an interesting thread! Looking forward to the replies.
Let me see if I can remember what my grandma told me over the years.
Iron everything.
Proper undergarments- no straps showing.
Trim stray threads and tighten buttons.
Keep shoes clean and in good repair.
Tailor as many of your clothes as you can.
Spend money on coats because it's the first thing people see on you 9 months of the year.
Buy well fitting bathing suits because it's the ONLY thing you're wearing out there.
No obvious logos.
Buy jewelry in real metals.
Smile.
Have good manners. No matter how well dressed you are, acting like an igmo ruins the whole effect.
Have fun. Hope this helps!

Great ideas everyone! @Murphy47, I second the manners suggestion. And the smile. :smile:

It’s funny how some of the things with the greatest impact don’t cost a thing, but require self-discipline. Impeccable manners at all times is one of those qualities that will really set you apart. One reason is that you appear to operate from your own code of values. Manners also conveniently create a distance between you and another person. A few other ideas...

-Posture. Notice her posture in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Perfect posture will immediately make you look regal, confident, well-bred, taller, more svelte, and make clothes fit better.
-Slow down. Elegant women don’t rush unless the house is on fire. In the movie, even when she is hurrying, she doesn’t rush.
-Grace. Pay attention to your gestures. Eliminate jerky movements, fidgeting and fussing. Graceful movements are both calming and riveting to those around you.
-Walk well. Her walk is graceful and deliberate, like a dancer.
-A pleasing voice. This is very important, and AH is a great example. Notice how slowly she speaks. And how clearly. She takes all the time she needs to say what she needs to say. Drop filler words like “Um,” and “Like.” Eliminate gravelly voice and that sing-song preppy voice. Avoid slang and swearing. Jackie Kennedy famously spoke softly so that people would have to lean in and listen more carefully. It also created a sense of intimacy with the person she was talking to.
-Nails short and buffed or pristine polish.
-Hair. Classic cut, color kept up.
-White teeth.
-Attention to skincare.
-A sense of humor.

Last edited:
Here are a few tips come to mind:
- don't show too much flesh. Nothing too low cut or too short
- well groomed, e.g. nice non-greasy hair, nice nails with neutral nail polish, nice skin, simple make-up
- echoing @prepster good posture is essential! Stand tall, shoulder relaxed
- elegant shoes, doesn't have to be high heels but quality leather shoes
- coordinate outfits with accessories rather than matchy-matchy
- proper underwear which isn't on show in anyway
- not too many items with visible designer logos in one outfit

Honestly, I think sophistication is more behavior than appearance often.
Couldn’t agree more. IMO cultivating your mind is just as important as how you dress. By that I mean being able to carry on a conversation with all kinds of people (can be learned), keeping abreast of current events, being plugged into your community, and having one or more hobbies or interests, all go into making a sophisticated person.