How to know if it's time to leave my job....

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Okay so long story here!

I am 24 years old. Ever since my college internship I have been working at a privately owned marketing agency. I absolutely love this place and the people. I have spent some of the best times of my life working, learning, and making friends here. I have moved up in the ranks and been promoted every year I was there. I am lucky enough to also work with my two best friends.

In the past six months things have gone down hill. The company has gone into debt, massive lay offs happened (lots of my friends quit or got let go), we have been working to rebuild but it has been hard. I am the only person left on my "team" so I do not have a boss or a direct report anymore. My work load is extreme since I am the only one who does what I can do. We will not be hiring for a long time.

About a month ago I started looking into other agencies in my town and fell in love with another agency. The benefits, and culture are amazing as well as the work they do. I would finally have a team and a stable company. I got an offer from them and was so excited!

My current company, ended up begging me to stay. I turned down the offer and stayed.

My dear ex boyfriend and best friend passed away two weeks ago. There has been so much change and trauma I was glad I stayed at my current job. These people are like family to me.

Then this week we find out we are being acquired. It is very tough and almost everyone in the company is thinking of looking elsewhere for jobs. Including my two best friends.

I could contact the other company and see if my offer is still available; but I have so much fear over this change.

When do you know it is ready to move to another job? I am so thankful for this place for giving me a job right out of school and giving me a chance. I have faught for them! But it is getting too hard, I am three years out of school I need a team to learn from, and be inspired by. I feel like my company will rebuild but at what expense? They said it could be a year of hard work till we hire again. And who knows if there will be more lay offs or what the acquisition will cause.

I'm so scared for this decision. I feel like my gut tells me to go to the new job, but my heart wants to stay at my current job.

What do you guys think, any advice is welcome

2. You've been through a lot this year with the loss of an ex as well as a dear friend. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. My suggestion would be not to make any rash decisions. I say this because it sounds like you have a support system at your current company in addition to a tad bit of stability for now. Having your company acquired is terribly frightening and stressful. Your staying and seeing them through this transition may be hard, but may pay off in the end for you professionally as well as personally.

With that said, have you researched the company that acquired yours to see how they've handled acquisitions in the past? Do you have a mentor at your company that you could meet with and get their opinion on the state of the company? You're certainly at a crossroads, and you should definitely put your resume out there. Since this is a big decision you might also want to evaluate you life, and where you like to see yourself in the future. Would you ever want to relocate at some point? Is there another company that you had always dreamed of working for? Thoroughly vet any future opportunity; sometimes during troubling times decisions are made in haste

If you stay, you could be well rewarded after a rebuilding period for your loyalty. The restructuring of your current employer may open other opportunities for advancement. If you leave, you could find a wonderful job with potential to grow. On the flip side, you could also still be dissatisfied at your current job as well as at a new job. If you do decide to leave, remember you will be starting over and have to reestablish your yourself at your new place of employment. Weigh all job opportunities heavily and do not depart in a moment of dissatisisfaction and turmoil. Check out any new employers culture, ethics, employee satisfaction...making more money does not always mean a happier environment. You would want to handle any change very carefully as you do not want to burn any bridges. You never know who may end up being a contact in the future. Working with people you respect and trust has always been important in my experience. If you do contact the company that gave you the previous offer, proceed with caution. Other businesses within the industry are now aware of what is going on within your company and might not like that an initial offer was recently turned down to stay with your current employer.

Wishing you the best!

3. First, let me say that I'm sorry that you lost someone close to you.

After reading what you wrote this in particular sticks with me:

"I am so thankful for this place for giving me a job right out of school and giving me a chance. I have faught for them! But it is getting too hard, I am three years out of school I need a team to learn from, and be inspired by. I feel like my company will rebuild but at what expense? They said it could be a year of hard work till we hire again. And who knows if there will be more lay offs or what the acquisition will cause."

I was in the same place you're in 5 years ago. . . Well, sort of. I'm still with the organization that was my first real job after school. I too had conflicted feelings of disloyalty and I think I stuck around way longer than I should've. By the time I realized this it took forever to find even an option of my next move. I've been here thru a hiring freeze, staff reduction, and even had to be reassigned into a similar position because someone left. Oh, and 2 people were trained up and promoted ahead of me. I addressed my concerns with management and in no unclear terms it was told to me that if I wasn't happy I should seek employment elsewhere. That was 2 years ago and the best advice ever from a senior employee here.

I said all that to say; If you have questions about whether you should make your next move, you're already there. Don't pass up a good opportunity to develop yourself professionally. This job market is different than it was for our parents. Loyalty is not a 2 way street anymore. Most millenials move up in the workplace by moving every 2-3 years, especially when we're talking about compensation. If you stay let be because you truly want to, not out of fear. The acquisition in itself is very telling anyway. Do what's best for you! I'm only just coming up on a chance to make a move and I'm leaping at it. Is it scary to think of leaving the job I've been at for almost 6 years? Absolutely! But I'm not growing personally or professionally and I can't pay that price anymore. I hope you make the right decision for you and good luck!

4. when u are tired to see your coworkers when u fed up with your boss, when your salary remains the same for half of the year