How to keep bugs out of wool/cashmere?

lightdays

O.G.
Feb 18, 2009
I have a few pieces of new clothing I just got which contain wool and/or cashmere. I am wondering how you keep bugs from biting the material? I don't want my clothes to have holes in them!

put cedar blocks around them, you can buy them @ bed bath and beyond. What I do is put them in a huge ziploc bag and throw in 2-3 cedar blocks.
You can also refresh old cedar blocks by rubbing it on sandpaper as well :smile:

put cedar blocks around them, you can buy them @ bed bath and beyond. What I do is put them in a huge ziploc bag and throw in 2-3 cedar blocks.
You can also refresh old cedar blocks by rubbing it on sandpaper as well :smile:

I assume you leave the ziploc bag open? (Is the bag just to protect the clothing from the oils in the wood?)

Bugs go after dirt/sweat in clothes, so wash/dry clean your items before storing them. Don't throw your clothes on the ground where silverfish/carpet beetles can get to them (I have problems with this one!). I also try to wear or at least rearrange items in my closet frequently, as this will disturb bugs/eggs that might be on your clothes.. I've always found that things get motheaten when they sit in your closet, unworn, for months.

I use cedar blocks. I never use moth balls. My mother swears by mothballs, but I haaaaaate them. I think they smell awful, and I don't care what she says, the smell never comes out!