Workplace How to improve my essay writing skills?

Mince

Aug 10, 2018
I started to study in my university during this autumn and essays seem the biggest problem for me. I wasn't very bad with them in school but now they became a really difficult task for me. How did you solve this problem?

I started to study in my university during this autumn and essays seem the biggest problem for me. I wasn't very bad with them in school but now they became a really difficult task for me. How did you solve this problem?

What is it that you’re struggling with?

1)Form a main idea.
What do you want to tell/prove to reader?
2) Consider how to build upon idea. How do you convince reader it is valid?
3) Decide where work is going. What will your last sentence be? What's the big finale?
---
State main idea in opening paragraph.
Be clear. Grab attention. Opening feeling should be, "Hey! We're beginning a great journey! All aboard!"

Write 2-3 supporting paragraphs.
Begin each with focus words, as "Firstly," "Secondly," "Thirdly."
Keep essay flow smooth & logical, as train carriages moving along track.
Flesh-out/prove main idea & interest reader with supporting points.
May add quotes/research from other works to help--do not plagiarize!--site sources.

Write concluding paragraph.
This ties together suppporting + main ideas & gives solid end to essay.
As train stops at next station & reader disembarks.
A brilliant lingering thought, left in reader's mind= truly stunning work.

Hope helps.
We learn to write better only by writing more.:choochoo:

Common situation. I had a similar problem when I first started studying at the university. School and university essays are completely different levels of difficulty. It was difficult for me to write good essays, but I was advised to have a good service, which I still use today.

Buddy, if you are interested in what I wrote in my post earlier, I can share the service I use. But the most important thing is that you have to decide for yourself whether you need the help of professionals or you are ready to deal with your own problems.

Reactions: uhpharm01
I graduated from university this year. When I learned I wrote all works for myself. At least before I started working. Several times ordered the writing of works from writers. And I ordered professional dissertation editing. I didn"t want to make mistakes.

Review how academics in your field write essays (although I think 99 per cent of the time its all thesis writing). Check whether the top five universities, e.g., Oxford, Harvard, have essay writing pointers. If you get really lucky, an academic that put the unit together, lectures in the unit (or similar) or is marking may have a published thesis or essay to cross-reference. If not, you could also keep an eye out of academics they may reference. Good luck :smile:

Reading.

I have a BA in the arts. I read SO MUCH. By the end of it, my writing improved dramatically.
This is probably the best out of what’s been said so far.

I read a lot growing up—and paying attention to the different writing styles helped me tremendously.

Just a few tips:
1. Always think of your audience.
2. Reread what you wrote. Go and do something else, and reread what you wrote again.
3. Take English composition courses.

Reactions: purrsiantea
When you write, reread what you write. Does it sound okay? Reread it again.

take time to do something else, and then go back and reread with fresh eyes.

It also helps if you’re reading literature (of different genres).

lastly, feel comfortable to ask peers to review your paper.

practice makes perfect.

Reactions: wisconsin