How to Identify Seller with Multiple Accounts

tastangan

O.G.
Oct 14, 2008
I need your input about something. I recently purchases an item from eBay. It was an auction item and as I was the only bidder, I won the auction at the opening price. The seller also has the same item (in the same size) in a separate lsiting at a higher price

Prior to my bid, I asked the seller specific questions on the measurement of the item and she answered my question. I paid the auction abput 1.5 days after it ended. But the next day, the seller duly cancelled my transaction, claiming that she no longer has the item.

I refused to cancel the transaction and asked how it's possible for her to still have the same item listed if it's OOS. She ended the listing after that.

She was somehow still able to refund me money even after I declined the cancellation request.

I was checking for the same item today and lo-behold, another seller is listing the same item for an even higher price. And the seller happens to be from the same city as my selller? Coincidence? Maybe. Note that the new BIN price for the item is nearly two times what I won the auction for.

But this second seller has nearly the same wording in the auction as the first seller.

So my question is what is my recourse as I think this seller cancelled my trasaction because she wanted more money (other than leaving a negative feedback). And how can I find out for sure if these two sellers are the same?

No doubt, she didn't want to sell for the price you won for so she canceled. Because you paid, you are able to leave feedback and in this case, I believe that negging a seller is appropriate.

There are instances where sellers make honest mistakes and might have a listing for a previously sold item. (Ebay has glitches of its own and sometimes, the duplicate listing isn't the seller's error.) In cases like that, I don't believe that a neg is appropriate.

But in a case where the seller was too cheap to pay the reserve fee and the bidding didn't progress as she'd hoped, the fact that she relisted with a different ID sends the message that she's trying to "hide" from you, hoping you might not notice the new listing.

If you leave negative feedback, leave a factual and unemotional comment. You don't want to say something that might get removed.

"Refused to complete sale, price too low. Relisted at higher price with different seller ID."

I'd love to have this seller's ID so I can avoid doing business with her!

I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving a warranted negative feedback
if this is the case but I would be 100% sure that the second seller is one & the same before
I would leave the suggested above feedback of "relisted at higher price with different
seller ID" comment.

While the coincidence may very well be there , just be cautious...IYKWIM (there are
many sellers who copy descriptions & use other sellers photos without knowledge).

You want your feedback to remain & not be removed. You can make your point
with choice words..

Is there any feedback left from other buyers that would indicate the seller has other
selling ID's & has a practice of doing this?

Last edited:
I need your input about something. I recently purchases an item from eBay. It was an auction item and as I was the only bidder, I won the auction at the opening price. The seller also has the same item (in the same size) in a separate lsiting at a higher price

Prior to my bid, I asked the seller specific questions on the measurement of the item and she answered my question. I paid the auction abput 1.5 days after it ended. But the next day, the seller duly cancelled my transaction, claiming that she no longer has the item.

I refused to cancel the transaction and asked how it's possible for her to still have the same item listed if it's OOS. She ended the listing after that.

She was somehow still able to refund me money even after I declined the cancellation request.

I was checking for the same item today and lo-behold, another seller is listing the same item for an even higher price. And the seller happens to be from the same city as my selller? Coincidence? Maybe. Note that the new BIN price for the item is nearly two times what I won the auction for.

But this second seller has nearly the same wording in the auction as the first seller.

So my question is what is my recourse as I think this seller cancelled my trasaction because she wanted more money (other than leaving a negative feedback). And how can I find out for sure if these two sellers are the same?

I don't know how you can find out for sure if these two sellers are the same. You really don't have any recourse other than to leave a negative but unless you are 100% sure it wasn't an honest mistake on the part of the seller I wouldn't do that.

So eBay won't tell me if two sellers have the same paypal email or shipping address (of course the seller could have two different ones)?

Both sellers actually have pretty good feedback and nothing in recent history about backing out of a sale.

I know that sellers could copy listing details from other sellers, but after looking at the other items that both sellers have, I'm pretty convinced that they are the same person. Both seller sells a bunch of stuff and they all have nearly the same words for the 'conditions' of the sale. It's one thing to copy the details of a single listing but to have the same words for all your listings is too much of a coincidence.

Don't forget that the seller was able to give me very specific details of the item just a few days ago so obviously she had it in hand then.

I'm happy to PM the listing details to anyone who wants it.

i found the sellers, both in Chicago.

They're the same person. Look at both their feedback left for others. All are "Excellent buyer. Payment received on time. Hope to do business again."

ETA: Interestingly, in looking through their feedbacks, I see that they've bought from and sold to each other. :nono: It doesn't look like it happened often, but it did happen.

Last edited:
i found the sellers, both in Chicago.

They're the same person. Look at both their feedback left for others. All are "Excellent buyer. Payment received on time. Hope to do business again."

ETA: Interestingly, in looking through their feedbacks, I see that they've bought from and sold to each other. :nono: It doesn't look like it happened often, but it did happen.

You're good! How did you find them?

I didn't realize they bought from and sold to each other. I don't see the point of that (other than to rack up the feedbacks) since money would have to change hands unless they repeatedly cancel the transaction after money is paid.

If I'm not mistaken I think eBay considers this as a big no-no? Surely there must be some way that I can report this seller?

From what I can tell (now that ebay removed most of the history in the feedback) is that it was a long time ago.

There's probably nothing to report now.

From what I can tell (now that ebay removed most of the history in the feedback) is that it was a long time ago.

There's probably nothing to report now.

I can see the exact date that the feedback was left from the eBay app on my phone. There is one single feedback left for each other on the same day in 2010. And it looks like the feedback was left a few days after one of the IDs were established. Probably to give this ID some positive feedback.

Yup, it's not a regular habit.

More disturbing is the fact that she's not honoring a sale because of a low selling price and confirming it by relisting the item on the other ID at a higher price. THAT speaks volumes!