How to help my congested pores?

afsweet

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
anyone have suggestions for which products to use on congested skin?

my skin is dry and flakes (especially now in the winter), and i hate how congested my pores are. i definitely know i need to drink more water, but i don't know which products i should switch to. right now, i use an aveeno anti aging moisturizer, st ives scrub about twice a week, and cetaphil sensitive skin cleanser.

the aesthetician who does my facials recommends a yonka paris moisturizer, but it's pricey. so i'd like to know if there's anything more reasonably priced but effective. i'd also really like a moisturizer with spf already in it.

any suggestions?

St. Ives is kind of rough. Are you using any acids? I'd switch to a daytime or night moisturizer w/ a glycolic acid in it and use it daily.
Definitely up that water intake :yes:

^^ I agree with Sanky, St Ives is rough. My derm says it's because it's made with nut shells - YIKES.

She suggest ask a mask Aztec Clay. you can get it from Whole Foods, Trader Joes, natural food stores or online. After application your face will feel so tight as it dries, but that's because it's working to pull out impurities, cleaning pores, et. Follow-up with a facial steam (or place warm towels on your face) and a good moisturizer.

Cetaphil is a great cleanser, they also have a moisturizer.

Mario Badescu Silver Powder - you can get it at Ulta or Nordstrom. Zaps blackheads and "everyday" clogged pores with 1 use! AMAZING. Pretty much a 1-step thing and the jar lasts FOREVER. 12 bucks too! Also it's not drying as well.

As for sunscreen moisturizer, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Estee Lauder Cyber White SPF 50. My skin feels so soft and not oily and filmy after putting it on.

I agree with Swanky and DC-Cutie, St Ives is ROUGH.

I personally have not had any luck with MB silver powder at all and neither did my sister. Perhaps, you can ask a retail store for a small sample of it before buying?

Also ditto on both glycolic acid and clay masks!

I'm bumping this because I have similar issues to the OP but need to know more about glycolic acid.

I've got kinda sensitive skin - mild rosacea. My T-zone is kinda oily but the rest of my skin is normal to normal-dry. I'm starting to get breakouts around my mouth, chin and nose, and also on my forehead/between my eyes. If I look closely at my face I can see micro tiny acne on my forehead.

Should I switch to a glycolic acid facewash or just switch moisturizers? I don't want to overdry my skin out but I also need to do something to help my face.

^There is no benefit to an acid facewash because the ph will not be correct and it will not stay on your skin long enough.

If you haven't tried glycolic acid before, you might want to start with lactic or mandelic acid. Makeup Artist's Choice dot com has a lot of info on the acids and offer sample sizes.

I love the Dior Hydralife line. I use their moisturizer twice daily - love! ... And then their beauty awakening mask once a week. Its wonderfully moisturizing and I just leave it on 5-7 minutes or so.

Another product I love is Bliss Triple Oxygen energizing mask...I use it twice a week, and it gives my face a great little boost of energy and feels so light and fresh. I top it with my Dior Hydralife moisturizer after rinsing it off. I first got it as a sample at Sephora, and after finishing the sample, I bought the full size bottle...it was $50 or $55 I elieve, but the bottle is a generous size, and you just use a little squirt with each use.

Yes, up your water intake, and perhaps try the Evian water spray. I keep a bottle in my purse and at home when I need a little cool water burst ... Its refreshing! :smile:

I'm bumping this because I have similar issues to the OP but need to know more about glycolic acid.

I've got kinda sensitive skin - mild rosacea. My T-zone is kinda oily but the rest of my skin is normal to normal-dry. I'm starting to get breakouts around my mouth, chin and nose, and also on my forehead/between my eyes. If I look closely at my face I can see micro tiny acne on my forehead.

Should I switch to a glycolic acid facewash or just switch moisturizers? I don't want to overdry my skin out but I also need to do something to help my face.

Have you changed anything in your skincare routine that could be causing the breakouts? If not, I'd go with the glycolic acid facewash (I don't have any experience with it, but it seems to be good for sensitive skin) because that will be more likely to help with the breakouts. I'd keep the moisturizer you normally use and wait and see how your skin reacts. If your skin becomes dry but the breakouts clear up, then I'd change moisturizers or look for a hydrating serum.

Have you changed anything in your skincare routine that could be causing the breakouts? If not, I'd go with the glycolic acid facewash (I don't have any experience with it, but it seems to be good for sensitive skin) because that will be more likely to help with the breakouts. I'd keep the moisturizer you normally use and wait and see how your skin reacts. If your skin becomes dry but the breakouts clear up, then I'd change moisturizers or look for a hydrating serum.

Nothing has changed in my skincare routine in the past 5 months or so. It's like my skin decided to stop liking whatever I was doing.

Peter Thomas Roth has a some glycolic acid options, including a moisturizer. I might try switching out one product at a time and seeing if that helps. I'm currently using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne wash and Aveeno moisturizer.

Nothing has changed in my skincare routine in the past 5 months or so. It's like my skin decided to stop liking whatever I was doing.

Peter Thomas Roth has a some glycolic acid options, including a moisturizer. I might try switching out one product at a time and seeing if that helps. I'm currently using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne wash and Aveeno moisturizer.

I received an email from PTR this morning and some of their kits are on sale.. might want to take a look to see if what you're looking for is included:

http://www.peterthomasroth.com/p-211-blemish-buster-kit.aspx

http://www.peterthomasroth.com/c-15-special-values.aspx

Have you tried Neutrogena oil free Acne Stress Control 3 in 1 hydrating acne treatment? I have all the same issues as you, extremely sensitive, and can't live without this. Tried everything at Sephora, wasted a ton of money, and love this $6 treatment.