How to handle insistent buyer

why? maybe I have been buying retail all along and now wish to buy vintage items that are not available anywhere else except ebay? and $500 is a low ticket item in my mind.

I guess my advice would be, buy some low ticket items on the site you are trying to buy something from. I think alot of sellers just want to make sure that there is a real buyer at the end of the transaction and not a scammer who just signs up with another account. I think even having just one feedback is better than zero. Again it is not a foolproof way to determine scammers but it's one way for sellers to get to that comfort level. Plus since the sites let sellers automatically block offers from buyers with low feedback, why not just get some feedback and then you can sail through the transactions for items you really want to purchase. You have to remember that the actual site application lets sellers make these feedback restrictions so what the sellers are doing is perfectly in their rights.

I guess my advice would be, buy some low ticket items on the site you are trying to buy something from. I think alot of sellers just want to make sure that there is a real buyer at the end of the transaction and not a scammer who just signs up with another account. I think even having just one feedback is better than zero. Again it is not a foolproof way to determine scammers but it's one way for sellers to get to that comfort level. Plus since the sites let sellers automatically block offers from buyers with low feedback, why not just get some feedback and then you can sail through the transactions for items you really want to purchase. You have to remember that the actual site application lets sellers make these feedback restrictions so what the sellers are doing is perfectly in their rights.

Totally within your rights, and you can refuse service to anyone really. I've definitely not sold to people that I've felt uncomfortable about, esp. if someone has been rude. However, if there was something that you really wanted, and could pay for, and the seller said to you, "Go buy a bunch of other things that you don't want, and then I'll sell you this," would you really be okay with it?

You're right I will try that. But I'm not really sure what to buy just to build a history. I am really only looking to buy a few items that are vintage and are only available here and are unfortunately big ticket items. I have just discovered vintage chanel and that is really all I am interested in buying. But I know there are some very nice sellers out there that I can buy from. And yes, all sellers are within their rights to not sell to someone like me.
I guess we can go on and on forever. I guess if its meant to be, it will be.

why? maybe I have been buying retail all along and now wish to buy vintage items that are not available anywhere else except ebay? and $500 is a low ticket item in my mind.

yeah, but the sellers don't know you and your finances or your morality or how you conduct business. and all they have to go on is your feedback. so when you have absolutely none, well then they are taking a risk losing their personal property, and/or money. it's one thing for nordstrom to lose $500, it's another for just the average person.

and to most, $500 is high ticket, or at least a substantial amount of money. it's not pennies.

start out buying smaller items and build up your positive feedback. zero feedback looks odd when ebay has been around for so very long.

Since buyers can only receive positive fb now it is really meaningless. There is no way for a seller to leave a warning- any negatively worded fb will be removed and the seller will be sanctioned. The only place a seller can leave an honest comment is in their response to buyers fb.

I hope that in your auction that you stated something along the lines of, "unfortunately any bidders with less than 5 positive feedback will not be allowed to bid on this auction, sorry for any inconvinence."

This way you will not get their hopes up. I think that you should also look at the feedback they have received, if they are buying expensive things etc you might feel more comfortable, make sure you ship with sig confirmation. If its a buy it now auction make sure you select that immediate payment is required.

As long as the buyer has some feedback, I feel so much more comfortable in selling to them.

I know we are always on the internet and probably most of us have a lot of ebay feedback, but there are also very many people that are not that into shopping online and they are not going to have a lot of history. You just can't expect to have a buyer with a ton of feedback. If you exclude based on feedback and even where they live(I know some sellers don't want to ship internationally) you will miss out on a lot of sales.

Every bidder has to start somewhere, but they don't have to start with you.

Ebay has made their policies very hostile towards sellers. As a seller you have to protect yourself now. Can't count how many times I had newbie bidders win auctions and never pay, or just do things that made the transaction not worth the effort. Simply put, new bidders are higher risk. And that's going to affect the good bidders along with the bidders that can't play nice in the sandbox with others.

The problem isn't the seller's policy of no new bidders, it's the climate that eBay has created which puts sellers in the position to act defensively.

Oh well, this and sooo many other reasons why I stopped selling on eBay...

Not all sellers are unwilling to sell to a new buyer.

As slow as things have been I am sure you will find a seller willing to sell you something you really want.

You're right I will try that. But I'm not really sure what to buy just to build a history. I am really only looking to buy a few items that are vintage and are only available here and are unfortunately big ticket items. I have just discovered vintage chanel and that is really all I am interested in buying. But I know there are some very nice sellers out there that I can buy from. And yes, all sellers are within their rights to not sell to someone like me.
I guess we can go on and on forever. I guess if its meant to be, it will be.

Have you tried consignment stores, either brick and mortar or online sites? I purchased a beautiful mint condition XL vintage flap from a NYC consignment store back in 2008. Unfortunately their name escapes me but I can find it if you're interested in contacting them. You can regularly check websites like annsfabulousfinds.com, yoogisloset.com and malleries.com. They often have vintage chanel bags for sale.