How to grow long, thick hair?

jeh3v

RM Love
O.G.
Jun 5, 2008
I'm in the process of trying to grow my hair out, and have been for about two years now. I feel like no matter what I do, it gets to a certain point (just past shoulder length) and then stops growing! Anyone else feel my pain? :confused1: I want it to be about mid back length eventually!

So I figured what better way to get tips than to ask all of you lovely ladies at TPF. What products/tips do you use to grow your hair long and strong? I'm already avoiding heat styling, taking Biotin, and using good products. Can't wait to hear what you ladies suggest! :tup:

I'm also having the same problem. My hair is about 2 inches below my shoulders, and I've been trying to grow it longer for what seems forever! But it hasn't seemed to really be growing any more.

One of my friends chats with her hair dresser all the time, and her hair dresser said that for everyone, hair will stop (or slow down) growing at a certain length. Like that's your maximum your hair will grow. Some people will have hair grow to their waist and then stop, while some will have hair grow to their bra strap and that's it.

I don't know if that's totally true though, I hope not! :crybaby:

I've been trying to do the same thing!! I was also taking Biotin but it caused me to break out so I returned the bottle that I didn't open. Did anyone else have this problem with Biotin.

I'm also having the same problem. My hair is about 2 inches below my shoulders, and I've been trying to grow it longer for what seems forever! But it hasn't seemed to really be growing any more.

One of my friends chats with her hair dresser all the time, and her hair dresser said that for everyone, hair will stop (or slow down) growing at a certain length. Like that's your maximum your hair will grow. Some people will have hair grow to their waist and then stop, while some will have hair grow to their bra strap and that's it.

I don't know if that's totally true though, I hope not! :crybaby:

Luckily, this is not true!! Your friend's hair dresser must have misunderstood something. Hair is an outgrowth of protein which "doesent know" what length your hair has. I think that the reason why one can feel like ones hair stops growing at a certain length is that hair can start breaking at a certain length. Therefor I would say that it is important to keep the hair healthy and don't use to much damaging products and hair dryer/straightener. Moreover one could maybe take some sort of dietary supplement like "silikum" that makes the hair "coming out" stronger and in better condition.

I haven't ever really had short (above the shoulders) hair but I should know a thing or two about long hair.

I have pretty long hair (nearly waist length) and its straight. Everyone usually has a point at which hair just falls out. If your hair is still intact and not falling out - it should still be growing.

For long hair - thing is - it has to be really healthy - so when you see split ends - snip them off. Get a good trim to start off your journey of long hair growth. But dont' get a trim every month or so since hair only grows about half an inch each month. I get my hair cut max 3 times a year.

Also, long hair has gone through a lot of damage - hair that is boobie length could even be up to 5years old. I cant' use normal conditioner anymore. I now use kiehls olive fruit moisturising pak instead of regular conditioner each day. Since I only use about the size of a quarter - it actually lasts me longer than a regular bottle of conditioner.

Also, with regards to diet. I think its important to just be healthy. I don't think there is need for any extra supplements etc..

One last comment - Judging from your photo it looks like your hair is slightly wavy? What I think usually happens is that when hair gets to around shoulder length - it gets even more curly at the ends. So I feel that even when hair is growing - you might not realise it and feel like as if it is just stopping there. Even straight hair does this as it bends inwards. Try letting your hair just grow for a few more months when it gets to that length.

Last of all - be patient =)

long hair takes years.. to grow

I'm prone to breakouts too, but haven't had any problems. Then again, I'm not taking actual biotin products, but instead a hair, skin, and nail vitamin from GNC. Maybe that makes a difference?

Goodmornin, Thanks so much for all of the great tips! I would love to have hair as long as yours is! I've gotten a good trim, but I think I may be getting them too often. As soon as I start seeing split ends, I go get a trim. Maybe I'll try to start just snipping them off myself! This will save money too as constant "trims" can get pricey! I would love to know more about the Kiehls product you mention and where I can get it! I'm on a healthy diet and don't use flat irons or blow dryers, so it's good to know I'm doing a couple of things right. Yes mine is pretty wavy (downright curly if I sleep on it).

It seems like your hair is breaking and you're getting split ends at a certain length. This usually means the ends of your hair don't have enough moisture. You can try to prevent that by using a good hair treatment on the ends only. You can also (additionally) use a leave in treatment specifically designed for ends. Make sure it doesn't contain alcohol though, because that will dry out your hair and therefore cause split ends.

I've been trying to do the same thing!! I was also taking Biotin but it caused me to break out so I returned the bottle that I didn't open. Did anyone else have this problem with Biotin.
I had the same problem! Actually, it was the Prenatal vitamins that I took to make my hair grow (when I was not pregnant).

Try taking Biotin supplments, at least 1 mg (1000 mcg) a day. They help the growth of healthy, strong hair and nails. I take 5 mg a day, and so far my nails have been growing faster and healthier. Can't comment on my hair though, since I just cut it recently and it has always been pretty healthy and strong.

JEH3V -Try this:

http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/hair/olive-fruit-oil-deeply-repairative-hair-pak.htm

I really love this stuff and use it in place of a conditioner everyday. The smallest dollop goes a long way, They have the conditioner version of this hair pak too - but its just like the hair pak except watered down. You can get it online, or at any concession store in a department store like bloomingdales etc.

There was a point where I thought I could be really cheap and just use Tresemme. How wrong I was. I tried it for a week and you could feel the change in texture in my hair! I threw that stuff out and went back to Kiehls - my hair has been happy, soft and healthy since. It only takes me about five brush strokes to detangle my hair.

I've also tried phyto, frederick fekkai, loccitane, and they're just not as good.

I'm also not sure what kind of brush you use - a lot of people say its better to use combs yada yada - but I use a small paddle brush and that works fine for my hair. Just make sure its decent quality and won't pull out your hair.

Can anyone reccommend a leave in treatment for the ends of my hair? I've noticed that even after i use conditioner now, my hair will be soft but my ends will be rough and dry. I can't say I haven't ever heat styled my hair, but I don't know, and it can be really hard to erase past heat damage with your hair. I feel that even when I used to use heat protectant, the flat iron still damaged my hair.

my hairdresser told me to try folic acid tablets, and i did that for a while... i think it started working, i just decided i didn't want to take anything else extra... try that though!