How to give more love to my newly purchased clothes by wearing them ?

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
When you purchase new clothes, how do you make sure you wear them ? And they don´t end up in the closet forever ?

I buy new clothes and "forget" to wear them ! I just have a tendency to always go back to the same old comfortable jeans/tshirt.
I want to change that "non-style" and that´s why I buy new clothes !
It´s just unnatural to wear the new stuff...Or I might wear it once and it stays ignored afterwards...

Anyone ?

I only buy what I will be comfy with - so I love to wear those items. yes, it is quite predictable - jeans, nice t-shirt and great blazer (can so relate to emmanuelle alt) but this is me, so why bother to change it too much. a pant suit maybe, currently one of those maxi jersey skirts in grey (7 euro from h&m) but that is a shocker really (reactions were accordingly).

so, if you want to change your style, you should be convinced with it, or otherwise get new items that you will be comfy with and mix that up, kwim?

Maybe you can give yourself a rule:
If you buy something new, hang it outside your closet until you have worn it. If you haven't worn it after a week, return it!

And there are also clothes that look fashionable, but are still very comfy! Like my isabel marant jackets, they have stretch and feel like a sweater but look very classy!

When you purchase new clothes, how do you make sure you wear them ? And they don´t end up in the closet forever ?

I buy new clothes and "forget" to wear them ! I just have a tendency to always go back to the same old comfortable jeans/tshirt.
I want to change that "non-style" and that´s why I buy new clothes !
It´s just unnatural to wear the new stuff...Or I might wear it once and it stays ignored afterwards...

Anyone ?

Mellecyn, are we the same person? :P I have the same exact problem because I get WAY too comfy in jeans and a tee every day, but in my case I also tend to "baby" the new item (especially if it's pricey) by NOT wearing it because I'm afraid of messing it up. Isn't that nuts?

I think it would help to shift your mindset to think of clothing as an aesthetic to enjoy, as you would a piece of art, or a great meal, or a beautiful jewel. Otherwise the default mindset is to think of clothes as purely utilitarian, just a way to walk around covered in public. I myself am trying to shift my thinking in this way, and I find that when I take the time to dress expressively and creatively, there is a pep in my step and my day is already more interesting!

we are the opposite..:P
i always wear new clothes...usually i hardly put the new clothes in the closet and forget about it. i have limited closet space and after buying expensive purses...i have to limit my clothes purchase. so it def helps. if i can't see my clothes...i'd forget them. but sometimes it's so fun to wear clothes that i haven't worn for a long time.

What if you started getting rid of an item for whatever new item you buy? Then you won't have the old comfies to go to and the new stuff will get worn. And in the store you can choose what to get rid of, and if you can't find something to part with for the new item then you probably wouldn't wear it anyway. ;)

If you buy something new, hang it outside your closet until you have worn it. If you haven't worn it after a week, return it!

And there are also clothes that look fashionable, but are still very comfy! Like my isabel marant jackets, they have stretch and feel like a sweater but look very classy!

This is what I do, but I give myself more than a week because I don't get to wear pretty clothes to work. I don't take the tags off until I'm actually ready to wear it out the door because a lot of times I'll put something on and wear it for a few minutes and then decide it doesn't look right.

Hang up EVERYTHING if you can. Sounds little and simple, but sometimes it's just seeing something repeatedly, keeping it fresh in your head!

What I do is I pick a time and play with the new clothes, mixing and matching, etc. It is usually before bed or after the kids go down to bed. Before I put my pj's on I play with my new clothes.

I then place the night before what I plan to wear the next day so there is no thinking in the morning. I don't change my mind in the morning!

I use to be afraid to wear my new clothes, always falling back on what was comfortable. But this approach really worked for me!

If I play with my clothes and find I still won't "make up new outfits," or wear them, of won't lay them out the night before, then back they go to the store.

this is a great rule!

If I don't reach for the new item I've purchased when getting ready to go out, then I know I won't wear it in the future either. If I pass on wearing the new stuff, then chances are I don't like it enough to wear the next time. Back it goes...

I used to be guilty of buying new clothes and never wearing them. I realised that the reason I wasn't wearing them was because they didn't fit with the rest of the stuff in my wardrobe.

So I only buy something now if I can imagine pairing it in at least three separate outfits. That way, when I bring it home I'm dying to start pairing it up with things and later on I can still reach for it as I know it'll work with other things in my closet :smile:

What I do is I pick a time and play with the new clothes, mixing and matching, etc. It is usually before bed or after the kids go down to bed. Before I put my pj's on I play with my new clothes.

I then place the night before what I plan to wear the next day so there is no thinking in the morning. I don't change my mind in the morning!

I use to be afraid to wear my new clothes, always falling back on what was comfortable. But this approach really worked for me!

If I play with my clothes and find I still won't "make up new outfits," or wear them, of won't lay them out the night before, then back they go to the store.

Thanks Ladies !
Angela, that´s what I´ve been doing, hanging the new item out...so I also get to mentally integrate it.
Purselover, That seems like the best option for me right now, and I have started already. Putting together an outfit, the night before. Matching the colors (especially when you take a distance from black...have some thinking to do !), finding the right accessories to finish...
I´ve managed to wear my new "out-of-comfort-zone" bright pink jacket 3 days in a row...for work, for going out, for casual shopping. And even got compliments :smile:
Basically I need more discipline at setting time aside to do this exercise !