How to give a wedding cash gift?

I wouldn't take it to the wedding, too easy to lose in all the excitement.

We were older and both had full homes before we got married, so we asked for charity donations, but for young people just starting out I think cash is a nice gift. It must be a drag getting 5 toasters and no plates, or whatever - much better to be able to choose what you want/need.

Am in SEA as well, cash gift are normal here. We just pack the money in a red packet and write down names behind the red packet and hand it over to the reception table (where there is a box to place in these red packets) during the wedding dinner.

We had an envelope box (that was shaped as a big wedding cake) at our wedding and most people slipped either cash or a check written to Mr. and Mrs. LastName inside of a wedding card. We got a few Chinese red envelopes too. All worked out great. No money was lost or anything. We had a family member (actually one from each side, one from DH and one from mine so that way no family can be in the blame if anything goes wrong) be in charge of taking care of the box (they never cut the box open, that was for us to do so we knew all the money was still in tact when we got to it). All was good.

Also, we had a money dance when the dancing was over, our families took all the cash off of us (and the pins so we didn't get poked or poke anyone) and stuffed it in a huge manila envelope and stuffed that money into our big envelope box.

HTH. :biggrin::biggrin:

it's pretty much the norm at Italian weddings to give cash gifts also. Very very few people give actual gifts. If the bride is registered, that is considered stuff to buy for the shower, not the actual wedding gift. just write a check, put it in a nice wedding card and give it to them the day of the wedding, that is how most people do it and how it was done at my wedding.

In my country money usually is handed to the bride in an envelope with some kind of pattern and ornaments :smile: 100$ per person should be fine enough but I'd give more if the bride / man are close to me or my family

I think a check is nice, but don't feel like you have to give $100 if you are young and not working full time...friends understand that it's tough to make ends meet these days!

Slightly OT but how do you ask for cash as a wedding gift? We dont need anything typical of a wedding gift but we would like money to put towards the honeymoon...what do you tell people?

I know someone using honeyfund.com ...there are other websites like this too.

I was looking at Honeyfund and it seems like a good idea..but how do you let your guests know about it? Do you just put a little card in your invitations or do you specifically say something like "no guest list, please put your money towards our honeymoon via Honeyfund?"

oggers86 said:
I was looking at Honeyfund and it seems like a good idea..but how do you let your guests know about it? Do you just put a little card in your invitations or do you specifically say something like "no guest list, please put your money towards our honeymoon via Honeyfund?"

We didn't mention anything about where we were registered on our invitations. On our wedding website though it listed the places we were registered including the Honeyfund (or some similar site. I forgot which to be exact though). I will say that because it's custom in our culture to give monetary gifts no one in our family really bought us gifts and NONE of our guests used Honeyfund. Instead, we just got cash.

Something to that effect...say you have everything you need and support to fund your honeymoon would be appreciated