How to get used to buying a used bag?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have never bought a used bag in my life. But I noticed that a lot of the older styles that I like that Coach doesn't make anymore, end up on Ebay...USED.

How do you get over buying a used bag? It might be the bit of OCD I have in me that's like, how do I know it's clean? How do I know it's in "good condition?" I know I'm passing on a lot of good deals because of this, which is why I'm thinking of changing my habits. But how do I do this? :confused1:

2. To be honest I do not know. For me I cannot carry a *used* bag. I have tried by finding a great deal on ebay, but even though they seem to be in excellent condition I cannot get over the fact that someone else has carried it. The smell, the small scratches, etc. are to much for me. I just would not actually use them so I resell them. So I gave up trying & just buy new.

3. I haven't bought many used bags on *bay. Every time I have the seller claims it's in perfect barely used condition and it ends up arriving in less than great condition. I'm not opposed to snagging up a used bag. I've sold several of my "used" bags on *bay, I just wish I could find a seller than baby's their bags like I do! I guess I just don't have good luck.

4. I don't like buying used either...you just never know what these bags have seen or been through with previous owners. I'm sure there are a few people on the bay who give accurate descriptions of the bags they are selling, but it probably is not worth the hassle...at least for me its not.

5. I can't do it:tdown:I gotta know what's been done to a bag! I love them fresh from the ol' warehouse!

6. I'm the same way, I can't buy used bags either. My issue is the whole clean thing. I even worry when I take my bags out and I have to put them down somewhere like even on the seat next to me in the movie theatre!

7. I will buy used bags. I sell used bags too. Mine have usually only been used for a max of 6-10 times. Then if I don't like it for whatever reason I sell it on eBay since it would be totally uncool to return it.

I've only had one problem with a used bag and the seller let me return it right away. Just ask for lots of piccys and get it authenticated.

8. Don't feel bad, I don't feel comfortable buying a used bag either, no matter what condition the seller says its in I can't get over the idea someone else used it.

9. I wouldn't mind buying a used bag in very good condition, with no major scuffs or wear. I would wipe the leather down with a damp cloth, let it dry, apply Apple conditioner. On the lining I would pull it out and spot clean any dirty spots but if it was too dirty then I wouldn't want the bag.
    I would be happy about the money I saved compared to new.

10. Some people like myself can't get over the idea of buying used bags either. However, if you really want a vintage bag - most likely (as in all cases) it will be used. Personally, I hate buying anything used but I caved in half a year ago and bought a used book online because it's out of print and extremely rare. It arrived in a disgusting condition (rather than the very good condition) but I had no choice. Beggars can't be choosers - if you want something bad enough, you'll have take your chances with something used. :shrugs:

11. i don't mind buying used bags, especially leather bags. i haven't bought any material or material lined bags, but leather tends to smell and look like leather across time. i :heart: my used hippie and i have a random tooled leather bag from the 70s i love! but i like new bags too.

12. I couldn't get myself to buy a used bag... I hate the idea of getting something and being disappointed with it. I'd rather spend the extra money to make sure it's brand new and spifferific :biggrin:

13. I don't have any advice for you. I am not a fan of used bags. I can do second-hand almost anything else except shoes and bags.

14. If there is a bag you are really interested in, :police:ASK all the questions; is the seller the original owner, where did they get the bag if they are not (estate sale, thrift shop, yard sale, etc. or it belonged to a relative), does it smell, like mildew, or moth balls:throwup: Older bags have been around a lot longer and who knows where they've been? :yucky:

Check the sellers return policy.

It is very rare to find a collectible, vintage or antique piece that has been stored in it's original case, unused in a dresser drawer and in pristine condition.

but, leather can be professionally cleaned, http://www.lovinmybags.com/tips.html

15. LoL i always have my *bay watching list full of used bags and NEVER once have I gotten the guts to buy it...I think a handbag is somewhat a personal item ya know? Plus I've learned that there are some nasty people out there and you never know where you're bag is coming from...just b/c it says "pet free, smoke free home" thats doesn't mean anything...ewe just the thought:sick: