How to get rid of scent in PRE-owned bag

Laneige

love watches
O.G.
Mar 20, 2007
Just recd the beautiful bag i have bidded. I must say that I have extremely sensitive nose (to smell etc). When a door opens (abt 40 steps away from the restaurant I'm seating at), I can smell cigarettes smoke within secs when my SO n waiters etc cannot smell anything. But later, they told me that oh the area outside has people puffing away with their cigarettes.

Now, even my SO said the bag has a scent. O am suspecting its the tissue (wrapper) used to wrap the bags. Both inside n out.

Its very strong to me, so much that I cough and want to vomit. I am now trying the bicarbonate soda solution. Anymore ideas to get rid of the scents. I don't want to add in more scents inside. I Just want to get rid of it.

Thanks!

^^There are a number of threads on this topic--it's pretty common.

Try a rag sprayed with Febreeze and leave it inside the bag, then put the bag in a plastic bag and tie it closed for a day or two. Or try that same thing with kitty litter (tied in an old pair of hose).

Good luck!

I've used a little baking soda sprinkled in the bag and then a few dryer sheets. Close it for a few days and then shake out the baking soda.

Baking soda is good for getting rid of odors.

I have used the "spot cleaning" method on a DIY home dry cleaning kit called CUSTOM CLEANERS. Instructions included. Was very simple and even removed the lipstick stain that was on the lining.
Always spot test first tho!! My lining was light colored twill.

^^There are a number of threads on this topic--it's pretty common.

Try a rag sprayed with Febreeze and leave it inside the bag, then put the bag in a plastic bag and tie it closed for a day or two. Or try that same thing with kitty litter (tied in an old pair of hose).

Good luck!

I'm sensitive to smell as well and I absolutely cannot tolerate the smell of Febreeze, YUK! I find it leaves a worse scent than what you were trying to get rid of. I would definitely never ever spray it in my bag or on it's dustcover. I'd try the unscented kitty litter instead or Lovinmybags has these bag candies -

http://www.lovinmybags.com/shop3.html

Linda

Old fashioned baking soda has always worked for me. I just put it in a little open container inside the bag so it doesn't get on the lining (won't hurt it anyway).

I once got a scarf that reeked of perfume and hung it on the back of a door for a week. Worked like a charm. So I'm a big fan of letting things air out, too.

I'm sensitive to smell as well and I absolutely cannot tolerate the smell of Febreeze, YUK! I find it leaves a worse scent than what you were trying to get rid of. I would definitely never ever spray it in my bag or on it's dustcover. I'd try the unscented kitty litter instead or Lovinmybags has these bag candies -

http://www.lovinmybags.com/shop3.html

Linda

LOL - sorry!

I wouldn't spray it directly on the bag, either - just on an old sock or something. Bag candies are kind of intriguing, though.

the one from LMB sounds good. Will be placing an order for it.

I am now hanging it indoor to air it out and also placed the baking soda in a plastic bag, inside the bag. Thanks!

if anyone has better suggestion, pls contribute!

I had this problem, except my bag was covered in sickly strong perfume. I tried everything I read on this forum, and other places on the internet. The Lovin My Bags company told me their bag candies don't work for perfume, but will for cigarette smoke. I'm very sensitive to smells, also. I can't even wear perfume or get around anyone that's wearing it. I hope you can save your bag, I had to sell mine. Good luck!

We recently found a deodorising method using a new rabbit litter tray mix. It was a large bag of small marble looking things. I put the marbles into a hosiery wash bag and put them inside a bag that smelled of smoke. I shut the bag and left it for a few days. Then the smell disappeared. Afterwards, it smelt sort of neutral, so I left it open.

I don't know if it was a Japan only product or a worldwide one, but it worked very well. Next time I am at the shop I'll check for the name on the packaging.

Laneige, after the bag airs out and the baking soda has absorbed interior odors, I'd recommend using a leather cleaner and conditioner made for bags to wipe off any nicotine residue on the outside.

LOL - sorry!

I wouldn't spray it directly on the bag, either - just on an old sock or something. Bag candies are kind of intriguing, though.

Ha, it's ok! I know some people are not bothered by Fabreeze but I think for those of us that have a strong sense of smell it's a lot stronger, an artificial perfumy scent. I was horrified to read TPFr say on this forum that whenever she sells a bag she hoses it down with Fabreeze, that and it's dustcover and sends it on it's way. Eeeeep! :wtf:

Marnee, I can't wear perfume either or sit next to someone that does, I get a migraine headache and it feels like inside my nose is burning.

Linda

shinymapie
pls keep me updated on that japanese kit

RE: the scent is not a cigarette smell.
I bought it in for cleaning yesterday and the lady told me that it might be mouldy scent and that the bag has been kept too long (never used or air before). as she is considered less experienced than the lady boss, i am waiting for the boss to get back to me as she's on overseas trip.

i hope she is wrong. the bag looks excellent (very new) except for chain area thats been slightly stained with clothes. i really dont think its mould and of course hope it isnt! she said the smell may still stay on after cleaning (OMG). so wish me luck.

I don't know about the LMB bag candles. I use their leather products and am very pleased with them, but I once used their bag candles and the smell was sort of sickeningly sweet. I'm not sensitive to scents either, since my allergies make it difficult for me to pick up scents easily, but I didn't like the bag candles. I ended up just airing out my bag