How to get rid of perfume smell from a pre-loved bag?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I searched the forum for this and most issues are for moth ball or cigarette smells in bags.
    I purchased a preloved bag in excellent new condition but unfortunatly it has a perfume scent in it. Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. took forever for me to find this but I think there may be some information in here, maybe towards the end with some suggestions about baking soda. HTH!

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbag-care-and-maintenance/how-to-get-a-smell-out-of-bag-629710.html

3. I had to use baking soda for a week to get a cosmetic smell out of a totally. I also put dryer sheets in (unscented) and changed them out every night.

4. Put a bowl of cat litter inside for a few days

5. I was able to take the perfume smell out of my Tivoli with Arm & Hammer fridge and freezer. It has sides that have cloth lining so no powder will spill out. I put 2 in mine and put it inside a big box and closed for 4 days it really worked for me. I guess it also it depends on what type of material your bag is, mine is canvas, but I don't know if it would work on leather. Good luck dear.

6. Yep done this as well! I put one box in there for a couple days and air it out as best as I can. I think when you start using it and when it's been able to breathe the smell goes away.

7. Thank you so much. I will give the baking soda a try. This is for a monogram artsy I want to use the bag so bad but its giving me a headache. :faint:

8. I place ground coffee in a plastic bag and let it sit inside the bag overnight. It works wonders!! Dryer sheets are also a great option.

9. HELP!! I can't start a thread because I'm brand new to the site..... I just purchased a batignolles from Hong Kong and it smells horribly musty. I'm on the verge of sending it back after trying "fridge-it", which the seller suggested. Will this smell ever come out? It's not only the inside but OUTSIDE too!