How to get packages scanned at Post Office when dropping off

FALLAX COR

Members Only
Jun 5, 2007
I remember seeing something about some kind of shipping manifest, but I ran a search and can't find it.

Basically, I'd like to get a receipt from USPS when I drop off packages. Isn't there a way to do this? I can't figure out how though!

I'd like to know as well. When you print a shipping label online, you are supposed to bring to the PO the bottom part and they are supposed to do something with it (maybe stamp it?) to prove you dropped off the package, but when I brought it over to the PO no one knew what to do with it. So I requested that my package would be scanned right away and they said no. Obviously I was a little worried. If the package gets lost at the PO before it gets scanned, there is no way you can prove you actually dropped it off. I now either fill out the shipping label manually so that the agent is forced to scan it when I pay for it (which is a PITA because there's always a huge line) or I just ship it Fedex.

I always just take them to the counter, tell them the packages are already paid but I need them scanned - they'll ring them up, and credit you for the shipping you've already paid, you'll get a receipt for the $0 transaction

HTH!

They'll tell you that scanning is not required because the scan for priority mail is not a tracking number but a delivery confirmation only. I skip the line, drop them on the counter and walk away. After 9 years on ebay and almost 4 years of selling, I have only had one package lost and it was to Italy - notorious for package theft. And all my packages are insured against loss as well.

We have a small town Post Office and know everyone personally. They went from "we are told not to scan" to "we are now told to scan" six months ago. Much is still left up to the "mood" of the Post Office employee.

I suggest getting to know one or two counter persons. My wife loves to make cookies, brownies and decorated cupcakes for all the holidays and takes them to two local Post Offices that we use frequently. We have not had an un-scanned package in quite a while and the one time we had an insurance claim, the Postmaster paid us immediately with no "investigation".

This was not "asked for" by any Postal employee. We just started doing it, along with sharing the bounty from our organic garden during the season.

It's always made me nervous to just drop a prepaid postage package at the counter and walk away. I've never had any problems but my post office won't scan or stamp a receipt. They insist that packages are just dropped off.

It's always made me nervous to just drop a prepaid postage package at the counter and walk away. I've never had any problems but my post office won't scan or stamp a receipt. They insist that packages are just dropped off.

If your package fits, use the parcel drop. Most of the standard Priority Mail boxes fit in it. I do this whenever I can because I also don't like to leave packages on the counter. They can get stacked pretty high!

I remember seeing something about some kind of shipping manifest, but I ran a search and can't find it.

Basically, I'd like to get a receipt from USPS when I drop off packages. Isn't there a way to do this? I can't figure out how though!

DO NOT TRUST USPS TO SCAN IN YOUR PACKAGE AT THE PO IF IT HAS A CLICK AND SHIP LABEL! They don't always
scan those because of the prepaid label...I have waited on pins and needles for any info on some packages until
the package was recorded as being delivered 4 days later!

In a nutshell, click and ship your postage ( I always do it through directly through usps.com, NOT paypal. Just my preference cuz I don't trust paypal....) , click yes to a SCAN form, (tiny box at the bottom) and print out the SCAN form after you print your shipping label. From there you have two, possibly three options. If shipping from home you can 1) Have your USPS carrier scan in your item from the SCAN form bar code (it gives them directions right on the sheet) when they are there to deliver your daily mail, or you can schedule a package pickup for free and leave the SCAN form there for them to scan, or you can wait for them to make sure it gets done right. :P What I do is put the red flag up on my mailbox so they know I have something to go out, and then place a note inside telling them I have a package pickup, or if I won't be home, on the porch. Once they scan the barcode on the SCAN form, the customer keeps the SCAN form for their records.

I ALWAYS check the USPS.com website the next AM and make sure that it says that it was picked up. An example of the last package I sent out:

Label/Receipt Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Signature Confirmation™
Insured

Your shipment was accepted/picked up at 11:52 AM on October 30, 2009 in xxxxxxxxxxxx .

Detailed Results:

Electronic Shipping Info Received, October 30, 2009
Shipment Accepted; October 30, 2009, 11:52 am, xxxxxxxxxxx

More info on SCAN forms here:
[B]http://www.usps.com/clicknship/scan-form.htm[/B]

The other option is taking your click and ship postage paid package to the post office, stand in line and request a Certificate Of Mailing. I think it costs $1.50. More info here:
[B]http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/certificateofmailingservice.htm[/B]

I have used this as well.

Of course if you purchase your postage right at the post office, you should receive a receipt showing proof of shipment...although unless you purchase insurance, if the package gets lost, you are basically SOL.

Good luck!!

Last edited: