How to get a flawless face?

e_nmn_m

O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
I am new to makeup and am going for a flawless complexion look with the least amount of products. I have pretty good skin (no wrinkles, pimples, or glaring pores). At the Trish McEvoy counter, they gave me a flawless look, but it involved primers, correctors, highlighters, blush, bronzer, foundation, concealer, and powder. Is this all really necessary for someone with good skin?

I have resigned myself to thinking tinted moisturizer won't be sufficient, and am now shopping for foundation. But, how do I evaluate a foundation, especially when the flawless look is also dependent upon the brush and application technique? Should I buy a good brush and practice with a cheap foundation? Find the right color foundation (and how to choose, anyway?) and then look for a brush? And what type of brush--foundation or stippling?

I don't need one with an SPF, but there are bonus points if it is buildable and safe for the eyes to double as a concealer and eye primer.

Where do I start?

Thanks.

just go from counter to counter try on the foundation see the color
in daylight see if it turns during the day.... just experiment.. if you liked the
Trish start there.. try Laura Mercier, YSL, MUFE, Bobbi Brown...

If you're starting out with good skin it shouldn't take many products to look flawless. I'd say exfoliate once or twice a week (I really like LM's Face Polish) use a good moisturizer and maybe a primer if you think you need it. I've been trying out Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau and it's very pretty. My problem with it is that it's not enough coverage for me. (I have mild rosacea) It's medium coverage and the finish is lovely. I apply it with a damp beauty blender and I love the look. Lumious, even and looks very natural.

Ask for samples and use them before buying full sized to make sure the foundations don't irritate your skin and to make sure they look good under different light.

I have good skin, and I can get my flawless face down to 2 steps - a good primer, and a nice powder foundation buffed on with a kabuki brush.

My favorite primer is actually a drugstore buy - L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base. I find that it mattifies my skin and makes it more "velvety" than Smashbox Photo Finish, which always felt slightly slick to me.

For foundation, using a powder type eliminates a step for me. My favorites are Laura Mercier powder foundation and MAC Studio Fix. I take a good, dense kabuki brush (like Bare Escentuals full coverage kabuki) and buff the product on over my primer.

If you prefer liquid or cream/mousse foundation - which I do in the winter - use a duo-fiber or stippling brush (ELF stipple, MAC 187) and watch some YouTube videos to pick up the stipple technique, which gives a really airbrushed finish. For luminous, flawless skin, I would look for foundations that use words like "luminous" or "sheer." I don't think you need full coverage. Then apply a translucent loose powder (I like Coty Airspun from the drugstore, or Clinique blended loose powder) over the foundation.

I do use blush or bronzer, eyeshadow, and a couple of other products on top of this. But as far as my actual "face" goes, I very rarely use concealers, correctors, highlighters, etc.

I find layering a mineral powder (all brands make these, even the drugstore lines if you can find a colour match) over a TM gives me as much coverage as light-medium foundation.

Unfortunately, I find it depends on the foundation - some of mine/ones I've tried do fine with a stippling brush (BB Skin, Revlon PR - MAC#187); others work better with a buffing brush like the Shiseido Perfect Foundation brush, or a flat, traditional foundation brush, like the discontinued Chanel Pro Lumiere, for me. Unfortunately, it's all trial & error, but if you have a foundation in mind, it might help us suggest which brush - if any - you need.

I really hope more people will weigh in. PMburk, thanks so much for describing your routine.

Yesterday, a Laura Mercier artist--one of theirs, not the department store's--got me a flawless face using primer, tinted moisturizer, some concealer, and finishing powder. Nice. I'm still waffling though over the color, and the Cosmetics Cop does NOT like her tinted moisturizer; she says it doesn't provide the proper protection. (I wanted to try her illuminating moisturizer, but I forgot. I really like the slightly glowy look.)

Then I started looking at Neutrogena's Healthy Skin (that got raves from Paula the Cosmetics Cop) but I am again confused over colors (I wish the company would send me a small sample pack!) and I also wonder how much of the flawless face is really technique.

Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating.

I really hope more people will weigh in. PMburk, thanks so much for describing your routine.

Yesterday, a Laura Mercier artist--one of theirs, not the department store's--got me a flawless face using primer, tinted moisturizer, some concealer, and finishing powder. Nice. I'm still waffling though over the color, and the Cosmetics Cop does NOT like her tinted moisturizer; she says it doesn't provide the proper protection. (I wanted to try her illuminating moisturizer, but I forgot. I really like the slightly glowy look.)

Then I started looking at Neutrogena's Healthy Skin (that got raves from Paula the Cosmetics Cop) but I am again confused over colors (I wish the company would send me a small sample pack!) and I also wonder how much of the flawless face is really technique.

A lot of it is technique, more than product.

When a MUA for a store does your face, they're trying to get you to buy as many products as possible, so to answer your question...yes, it is possible to get a similar effect w/ fewer products. I remember when I had a makeover done at MAC, the MUA used FOUR products for my lips alone (five if you count the special brush she used).

If you have great skin, why not try (as others have suggested) mineral foundation? Just use a primer underneath + mineral foundation and you're pretty much good to go. If you don't have anything you want to mask, then there really is no reason to pack on the face makeup.

Well I don't. Relieve they try to get you to buy a ton of products. The poster above refers to MAC they are known for heavy hands.

I have used Laura Mercier flawless face kit for some time and enjoy it and people compliment my skin a lot! For night I tend to use bare minerals foundation but my blushes and bronzer are a mix of nars and bare minerals. I don't think you need a lot but you need the right products and regimen.

I can use any where from 3 products (primer, tinted moisturizer, bronzer) to several - varies for the look I want.

I suggest visiting a few counters. Every face and experience is different.

Good luck.

I'm pretty eclectic with my choice of makeup and have zero brand loyalty, LOL.

Right now here are my faves for flawless face (I am 44, dry skin on cheeks and oily t-zone - yep you can still get zits at my age, ugh and LOL) and very pale with ruddy cheeks:

Neutrogena healthy skin moisturizer with alpha hydroxy and spf. FWIW, SPF will PAY OFF big time over the decades, just sayin' ;)

Smashbox primer (BUT I also like NARS' and also Chanel Le Blanc)
Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation (or MUFE High Def). I've tried mineral makeup but it doesn't work for me and I've been wearing liquid foundation 30+ years too, hee hee.

...set with MUFE HD loose powder with the kabuki brush (focus on the eyelid area, not all over as I like a glow-y look).

I use a 3 step rule

A primer is a must for a flawless look. I use Dior skin flash primer, it's very light weight and best of all it comes in two shades. Smashbox photo perfect primer is pretty good too. It comes in green (to conceal redness), purple ( for brighter looking skin), beige and no color. Smashbox gives a really nice and smooth finish.
Followed by Dior skin nude foundation. I use a sponge to blend so as not to look to "heavy". The foundation is light yet surprisingly provides a really good coverage. I have a little acne scars and bag dark eye circles but with this foundation I don't even need concealer. My friends started to comment on how fresh i look. This foundation gives a more dewy and glowing look so if u want something Matt, opp for MUFE Matt liquid foundation.
Lastly I use a highlighter on the cheekbones and t zone. Highlighters might seem unnecessary to some but it really gives me the oomph!

In addition, you can have a thin layer of light moisturizer before primer if it's winter or when your skin is dry :smile: hope it all helps!! I recommend clinque dramatically moisturizing cream or Laneige (a very popular Korean brand) for light moisturizers.

I don't use primer, so I skip that step. I use Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge tinted moisturizer and put it on with a foundation brush. Usually that's enough for day time, but sometimes I'll use a MUFE concealer palette to touch up under the eyes and cover up a few spots. The reason I like the Peau Vierge is that you don't need a primer--it's pricy but it gives gorgeous and even coverage with fewer steps. If I'm going out at night I may add a layer of Nars loose powder on top for a tiny bit of extra coverage and then blush, a little highlighter and that's about it.

I do think it's more important to focus on technique and your skin. If you have a good base, you will need less product (so peels, good skin care etc can help with that). As for technique, there are lots of great youtube vides that help.

UPDATE: I was playing at the MAC counter, and after dotting on some of their Studio Fix concealer, thought: Hey! I'm done! Just need a little powder for the T-zone!

So, the MUA buffed my face with their mineral skinfinish. It looked fantastic...for about 5 hours, at which point it oxidized and my face turned 3 different colors!

Also tried on some of the Shiseido. That stuff is as light as air. Unfortunately, the MUA from another counter was unable to help me find the best color/type and develop a plan.

I use either

LM illuminating primer, concealer and tinted moisturiser plus a little translucent powder if needed - I use a German one made for stage, it has a sheen like silk (I bought into this after enquiring what the LM SA was wearing - she looked great)

OR

MAC primer, Joe Blasco concealer and LM mineral power with a Chanel kabuki brush

OR

(for evening) YSL Top Secrets Flash Radiance, LM concealer/YSL Touche Éclat (to get rid of shadow or highlight) YSL Tient Radiance plus a little YSL champagne powder I bought last year (I know sounds long but actually pretty quick once practiced)