How to get a Chanel while avoiding the Chicago sales tax?

Starium

O.G.
Aug 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

I feel in love with this Chanel patent purse in red color, but I was disappointed that it was a small purse. I talked to Pamela the SA in Chicago, and she told me that in a couple of weeks they will be receiving a bigger version of the red patent Chanel purse. This is going to be an addition to my collections. Is there any way I can avoid the sales tax her in Chicago? Chicago's tax is 11%. Could I buy the purse somewhere else, and avoid the Chicago tax or any other tax? Any idea is highly appreciated by my husband who's going to spend the money. I copied a photo of the Chanel purse I love from one of the person here in TPF.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,624
Last edited:
You can either try to find it from Bergdorf Goodman and have it shipped to you in IL or buy it from Chanel and ship it to a friend or family member in a state that doesn't have a Chanel store. You'll be able to avoid Chicago tax in either case.

Hi everyone,

I feel in love with this Chanel patent purse in red color, but I was disappointed that it was a small purse. I talked to Pamela the SA in Chicago, and she told me that in a couple of weeks they will be receiving a bigger version of the red patent Chanel purse. This is going to be an addition to my collections. Is there any way I can avoid the sales tax her in Chicago? Chicago's tax is 11%. Could I buy the purse somewhere else, and avoid the Chicago tax or any other tax? Any idea is highly appreciated by my husband who's going to spend the money. I copied a photo of the Chanel purse I love from one of the person here in TPF.

Thanks guys

You can either try to find it from Bergdorf Goodman and have it shipped to you in IL or buy it from Chanel and ship it to a friend or family member in a state that doesn't have a Chanel store. You'll be able to avoid Chicago tax in either case.

Thanks for this information, I'll try to ask around. I would be worried shipping my Chanel around though.

^She can tell you if Hirsh bought the bag you are looking for now if the bag is out for Spring. She knows what the buyer got for their store already....

WOW! I didn't realize tax was so high there. I was in Chicago this summer and didn't buy anything major...but I would have :faint: if I saw that sales tax that high at CHANEL! I don't blame u one bit. In fact, I think that's higher than NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
^She can tell you if Hirsh bought the bag you are looking for now if the bag is out for Spring. She knows what the buyer got for their store already....

WOW! I didn't realize tax was so high there. I was in Chicago this summer and didn't buy anything major...but I would have :faint: if I saw that sales tax that high at CHANEL! I don't blame u one bit. In fact, I think that's higher than NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is ridiculous, but there is nothing I can do if I disparately wanted a specific purse. A lot of the designer brand store here in IL are close to Chicago or belongs to Cook county which charge the same amount of tax as Chicago. My SA told me that the purse I wanted to get is probably $4,000, so that is about $440 in sale tax alone.

How can I make sure that I will get the exact purse? Do I need to call my SA for the model number? Is that going to be tacky on my part?

Thanks

So you want the 11C Red patent, but in jumbo? Hirshleifers was definitely getting this. When you talk to Penney she will know what you are talking about. Have her send you a picture so you know for sure. She is the best.

I know what it's like. I used to live in Chicago area..and when I needed something (LV, Chanel)..I'll have the store ship it to my friend in Madison, WI and have her ship back to me again.

I know what it's like. I used to live in Chicago area..and when I needed something (LV, Chanel)..I'll have the store ship it to my friend in Madison, WI and have her ship back to me again.

yes, it is such a pain to pay so much on just the tax itself. I will do keep that in mind about ordering and shipping to another state. Thanks

So you want the 11C Red patent, but in jumbo? Hirshleifers was definitely getting this. When you talk to Penney she will know what you are talking about. Have her send you a picture so you know for sure. She is the best.

is that what you call it 11C Red patent? That might be the one, I wanted it dearly. I will definitely call Hirshleifers today. Thank you so much

I live in Chicago and I ship stuffs all the time to my friend's apartment (where I used to live until last year) in Madison, WI. I feel completely safe with shipments just because I do it all the time and fortunately for me, nothing has ever gone wrong.

I live in Chicago and I ship stuffs all the time to my friend's apartment (where I used to live until last year) in Madison, WI. I feel completely safe with shipments just because I do it all the time and fortunately for me, nothing has ever gone wrong.

great! I'll call my friends outside of IL. Thanks

Hi Israeli,
Thanks for the recommendation. I called up Hirsh and talked to Penny, and you are right, she is so nice. I can order the Chanel purse without the Chicago tax. I am very happy! Thanks for your help.