How to Find a Job/Internship

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. How does one land an internship or job... as a soon-to-be college student? Now that I'm waiting for my acceptance/rejection (hopefully more of the former and less of the latter) letters, I want to focus on securing a summer job, which I know will be impossible in this economy. I'm willing to do an unpaid internship, but often this required you to get school credit for it, doesn't it? I love advertising, media, TV, fashion, etc., and I'm not above working retail. But I've never had a real job before. And I wouldn't be able to work there year-round because I'm going out of state for college. Plus I don't live in a advertising/fashion/TV capital like NYC.
    How the heck am I supposed to find work?
    And fellow students, feel free to offer your own work questions... I can't be the only one thinking about this!
    Thank you:smile:

2. internships for college credit are usually only available for college junior/seniors thru their college/university. i am not sure how you would go about getting one at your level. but good luck - it is tough out there.

3. Kudos to you for thinking about your future so early.. I didn't start interning until my junior year of college. An unpaid internship will probably be better for your path to something in the Advertising/Comm./Fashion world than a regular summer job, but if you need the money, don't worry.. you're doing great by thinking ahead. Most students don't intern until their junior year.

I'd probably send out emails to potential employers stating your passion for the industry of choice (Advertising, Communications, Fashion, etc.) and let them know you want to learn as much as possible, and if there is a way you could intern for them without school credit. A lot of employers will like your initiative. In the meantime, when you get to college, do join clubs relating to your major and maybe even join the executive board, so you will have further experience for when you go for the best internships later on in your junior/senior year. Good luck.

4. I interned the summer before I headed off to college at my local Chamber of Commerce. It was advertised through my high school's career center. Does your HS have anything like that?

I did a lot of boring work (like mailings and data entry), but had several more in-depth projects to work on. I'd definitely start small. Businesses or non-profits with limited staff are going to be more willing to let you come on.

The way I see it, it's never too early to start networking!

As far as income goes, you can always find a job as a waitress. I was a waitress for six years. The experience is invaluable--knowing how to deal with difficult people is a skill that will continually help you professionally.

5. i interned the summer between junior and senior years of high school at my local CA state senator's office, and the summer after high school at Merill Lynch with one of their financial advisors. as pinkdancer mentions, as a high school student you'll likely be doing some pretty mind-numbing work, but it's actually a great way to preview a working environment without the pressure of having to perform anything too complex.

i agree that non-profits will be more willing to take any help they can get. i currently volunteer with the princess project, which collects donated formal dresses to distribute to underprivileged high school girls so they can attend their proms. it's a great way to channel my love of fashion into a worthy cause. there are similar organizations like dress for success which provide career apparel for unemployed women, or you might consider helping any nonprofit with their promotional & PR materials too

hope that helps! (^(oo)^)v