How to dress when going into an Hermes store?

Yesterday we went to Madison store to check out SS 2022. We tend to wear casual clothes like we normally do(knitwear, jeans and H sneakers)

Upon arriving in RTW, clearly SAs paid no mind to us which is fine but when I politely asked one of the SA for sizes, he looked me up and down and clearly wasn’t really happy to help. He said he will check but pretty sure he had nothing for me with a snobby attitude then disappeared for 2 mins and came out “No we don’t have anything in stock” and walked away from us without even asking if we wanted him to check in the system or anything.

My DH was like “okkkk I guess he’s having a bad day or he probably thinks that we wont buy???” I then said to my DH “well, this is the reason why we changed to MP as our main store.. yes MP is a lot smaller and limited inventory but I’m a lot happier there.. and yes I want that jacket but at this point I’d rather not buy it even if he has the size…”

Yes, we have our lovely and super helpful SA at MP and we tend to get everything through her. We also talked to our SA about inventory( if she can’t get it via order or transfer, she doesn’t mind that we get it from Madison)

And we don’t waste any SAs time on us.

I’m not quite sure if it was because of how we look or how we dressed or anything in between. But it wasn’t the first time that this happened at Madison.

I’m beyond bummed with Madison at this point. :sad:

Last edited:
rachrach1017, sorry that you had this experience at Madison. It just happens to be my
choice boutique to go into & perhaps because I am known at that shop, I do get the service
I expect.
If you are able to find what you are looking for at MP, I'd say stick with that store & maybe
give Madison another shot down the road..

rachrach1017, sorry that you had this experience at Madison. It just happens to be my
choice boutique to go into & perhaps because I am known at that shop, I do get the service
I expect.
If you are able to find what you are looking for at MP, I'd say stick with that store & maybe
give Madison another shot down the road..
Thank you! Yes I’ll stick with MP but they tend to have such a small inventory. That’s why my SA and I discussed that if she can’t get anything I want via ordering or transfer. I can get from Madison. Obviously, I’d rather get everything from her since she’s been such an amazing SA. But I sometime wandering around Madison Ave and find myself there. lol I wish I could have an SA at Madison too. I would be super happy with both stores.

Thank you! Yes I’ll stick with MP but they tend to have such a small inventory. That’s why my SA and I discussed that if she can’t get anything I want via ordering or transfer. I can get from Madison. Obviously, I’d rather get everything from her since she’s been such an amazing SA. But I sometime wandering around Madison Ave and find myself there. lol I wish I could have an SA at Madison too. I would be super happy with both stores.
+1 @Love Of My Life, and I am so sorry about your terrible experience. Madison is my home store, but I have to say that when my SA is not there, i just don’t go in. Your SA at meatpacking should be able to transfer things in for you. Long ago, I shopped both Wall St and Madison, and I found it best to stick to one boutique. good luck

Reactions: rachrach1017
During Covid, I wanted to go into Meatpacking, but the door was locked and the sign said only by appt. I knocked and a staff member told me that I could not enter as no one was available without appointment. I responded that my home store was Madison, and since I was in the neighborhood, I just wanted to peek inside. She let me in with the understanding that no one would help me lol. So DH and I wandered around. I sighed enviously at MP’s expansive and comfy shoe area (so much nicer than the shoe attic uptown. We watched some of the TV display (I think on saddles) and then we left. DH asked me why no one even said hi, and whether it was because we were just wearing exercise clothing, and I just said no, it was bc we don’t belong to anyone there. i just figure it’s the weird culture of H boutiques. So, then we went to brunello next door where they were very nice and insisted on showing us everything even though we explained that Madison was our home store. Lol

Last edited:
LOL I reread this and thought you said stables :biggrin:

over 20 years ago (well before emotional support animals) I saw a (presumably) wealthy well groomed, well dressed woman lead a very well groomed Shetland pony out of an UES hair salon. I presumed the hair salon appt was for the woman though.

Or maybe they have the same groomer? How did her mane (er...hair) look? :lol:

Yesterday we went to Madison store to check out SS 2022. We tend to wear casual clothes like we normally do(knitwear, jeans and H sneakers)

Upon arriving in RTW, clearly SAs paid no mind to us which is fine but when I politely asked one of the SA for sizes, he looked me up and down and clearly wasn’t really happy to help. He said he will check but pretty sure he had nothing for me with a snobby attitude then disappeared for 2 mins and came out “No we don’t have anything in stock” and walked away from us without even asking if we wanted him to check in the system or anything.

My DH was like “okkkk I guess he’s having a bad day or he probably thinks that we wont buy???” I then said to my DH “well, this is the reason why we changed to MP as our main store.. yes MP is a lot smaller and limited inventory but I’m a lot happier there.. and yes I want that jacket but at this point I’d rather not buy it even if he has the size…”

Yes, we have our lovely and super helpful SA at MP and we tend to get everything through her. We also talked to our SA about inventory( if she can’t get it via order or transfer, she doesn’t mind that we get it from Madison)

I’m not quite sure if it was because of how we look or how we dressed or anything in between. But it wasn’t the first time that this happened at Madison.

That was my attitude about Madison forever. I am usually in a sweatshirt and jeans and every SA at Madison would be very cold. Then we clicked with one and it’s a great store for inventory if you can establish that relationship. We have had the opposite reaction to MP. First SA looked us up and down politely. Sat us at the table in the back and asked us how she could help us. Wife started saying what she was looking for and the SA started to say things like “Those dream bags….” All in a very friendly way, but that just struck us as “the game” so we never followed back up with her. Casual dress has its ups and downs but it’s retail shopping. I’m not going to wear a suit on a Saturday to buy stuff.

i dont shop at the store much but when i do go in for appts prob just few times a year i wear H rtw and bag , just bc i think its a nice tribute to my SA -- but they are also pretty casual items.. and they would be things im wearing on wkds regardless

That was my attitude about Madison forever. I am usually in a sweatshirt and jeans and every SA at Madison would be very cold. Then we clicked with one and it’s a great store for inventory if you can establish that relationship. We have had the opposite reaction to MP. First SA looked us up and down politely. Sat us at the table in the back and asked us how she could help us. Wife started saying what she was looking for and the SA started to say things like “Those dream bags….” All in a very friendly way, but that just struck us as “the game” so we never followed back up with her. Casual dress has its ups and downs but it’s retail shopping. I’m not going to wear a suit on a Saturday to buy stuff.

Oh yes, totally agree. I wouldn’t just get up and dressed up head to toes just for retail shopping. But I was a bit thrown off by the vibes and attitudes that day. I totally understand that there are MANY great SAs at Madison but I guess it was just my luck to have found myself in that situation.

I now have found myself a Homes store (MP of course) and it’s been amazingly wonderful. My SA was superb and really helpful. Even my DH said that she’s way above our expectations and our CC bills are going through the roof because of her LOL (She got us almost every single things that we asked for and never pushy).

Do I wish to have SA at Madison? Yes I’m not gonna lie because Madison has a lot more inventory than Mp.
But as for an experience, I wouldn’t trade it for another way. :smile:

Just curious, was this SA a slender, well-dressed Asian man? I've seen several of those, and they are often leading around bands of elderly asian women saying in Mandarin "Oh, sonny, just tell me what to buy! I'll buy whatever you have! Who cares if it fits! You know me, I'll take anything."

LOL. I think the crazy rich asians at Madison are playing a completely different game than the rest of us.

Just curious, was this SA a slender, well-dressed Asian man? I've seen several of those, and they are often leading around bands of elderly asian women saying in Mandarin "Oh, sonny, just tell me what to buy! I'll buy whatever you have! Who cares if it fits! You know me, I'll take anything."

LOL. I think the crazy rich asians at Madison are playing a completely different game than the rest of us.

Oh No, it was the RTW SA guy. And I tried to stay cleared from him every time when I just popped up at Madison.

I’m Asian and most Asian SAs were nice most of the time if they aren’t busy with their clients.
But yes agree with you, bands of crazy rich Asian ladies, they would buy anything, they don’t care lol
If I were to take my granny, she would have said the same thing lol ( but we aren’t crazy rich Asians though lol)

Reactions: Tykhe
Oh No, it was the RTW SA guy. And I tried to stay cleared from him every time when I just popped up at Madison.

I’m Asian and most Asian SAs were nice most of the time if they aren’t busy with their clients.
But yes agree with you, bands of crazy rich Asian ladies, they would buy anything, they don’t care lol
If I were to take my granny, she would have said the same thing lol ( but we aren’t crazy rich Asians though lol)
Lol yeah they are pretty adorable but also a bit scary.

Last edited:
Oh yes, totally agree. I wouldn’t just get up and dressed up head to toes just for retail shopping. But I was a bit thrown off by the vibes and attitudes that day. I totally understand that there are MANY great SAs at Madison but I guess it was just my luck to have found myself in that situation.

I now have found myself a Homes store (MP of course) and it’s been amazingly wonderful. My SA was superb and really helpful. Even my DH said that she’s way above our expectations and our CC bills are going through the roof because of her LOL (She got us almost every single things that we asked for and never pushy).

Do I wish to have SA at Madison? Yes I’m not gonna lie because Madison has a lot more inventory than Mp.
But as for an experience, I wouldn’t trade it for another way. :smile:
It seems rather universal that smaller stores provide better service and hence a better experience.

Bigger stores tend to have more inventory and more generous with bags. I feel.

Saw this mentioned randomly at another thread regarding dress code for an event and advised to not wear other big logos like Chanel, is it frowned upon wearing other brand to shop? I wore all of my Chanel to my last boutique appointment and was offered to meet the SM :eek:is that bad? I mean I think they know that I’m relatively new to the brand and have yet to be offered a bag….

Reactions: BabyBellaKH