How to dress when going into an Hermes store?

TokyoBound

Singing the Sorrow
Nov 7, 2011
Weird question, but do you purposefully dress up when you know you're going to be checking out an Hermes store? To me, it seems like the most elite out of all of the luxury brands, and I'm kind of freaked out about how I'll be perceived when I walk in (I've been to the the Paris store before when I was studying abroad, and I found the most helpful salespeople there. I was thinking though that they were used to tourists so maybe that's why they didn't shun me for looking like a student).

Basically, I'm really wanting to go to visit the South Coast Plaza one day after work (I want to work on building up an enamel bracelet collection), but in my office we dress really casual and are allowed to wear jeans every day. I usually wear jeans and a cardigan, with some nice jewelry added. My current bag is an Onna Ehrlich one, which is not inexpensive ($600 retail) , but not a well known brand. Would it be totally weird to go home in order to dress it up a little more before venturing into Hermes?

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident. If dressing up a little more will do that, by all means do so.

That being said, being dressed well in Hermes is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for receiving good service there. I've gone into plenty of stores on a whim while wearing very casual clothing and gotten great service. I've also gone into stores wearing a dress, a scarf, and a Kelly and gotten followed around and glared at as though I were about to hold them up (*coughcoughMonacocough*).

Weird question, but do you purposefully dress up when you know you're going to be checking out an Hermes store? To me, it seems like the most elite out of all of the luxury brands, and I'm kind of freaked out about how I'll be perceived when I walk in (I've been to the the Paris store before when I was studying abroad, and I found the most helpful salespeople there. I was thinking though that they were used to tourists so maybe that's why they didn't shun me for looking like a student).

Basically, I'm really wanting to go to visit the South Coast Plaza one day after work (I want to work on building up an enamel bracelet collection), but in my office we dress really casual and are allowed to wear jeans every day. I usually wear jeans and a cardigan, with some nice jewelry added. My current bag is an Onna Ehrlich one, which is not inexpensive ($600 retail) , but not a well known brand. Would it be totally weird to go home in order to dress it up a little more before venturing into Hermes?

I am eager to hear what people say about your question. The only H store I have been it was in Vegas and I tried very hard not to look like a sloppy drunk tourist. I am working up my courage to go to other stores cause snooty SAs intimidate me. BH would be my home store and I thought I would work my way up to it.

There has been a raging debate on a thread on the general forum about whether or not you get better service if you dress up. In that thread, people had very strong opinions even though they were in total disagreement about whether it matters or not.

Some of the old threads I have read on this subforum said that SCP is more relaxed, causal and friendly than BH. Since you work so near SCP, why don't you stroll the mall over lunch one day. You could check out how people are dressed going in H. It seems like the general shopper at SCP looks upscale in terms of bags and shoes, but not really dressed up.

I figure the SA holds my future in their hands and you never get a second chance to make a first impression. I hate that the SAs have so much power in the lottery for who gets offered bags.

SCP is my neighborhood H store and I've seen people wearing jeans shopping there. I've dropped by after work too, but I wear suits to work. SCP also gets tourists and out of towners who seek out the high end shopping so I imagine that they see all types. Also, the OC casual look (jeans, bright top and tendy heels) is pretty much the uniform of most pretty, young things around here. I think you'll be fine, but if you want to be comfortable, just kick up a notch on your work oufit for the day you plan to visit. Wear some cute shoes, maybe. Also if you wore something H, it wouldn't hurt you.

There is a "reputation" that SCP SA are snobby, which I found to be occassionally true at the LV store, but never at the H store or Tiffany's.

I do most of my shopping in Vegas, since free time to shop usually falls on a weekend get away. In Vegas, I've been dressed down in a sundress and sandals and/or dolled up in a nightclub outfit. Either way, I was always welcomed.

I also have to confess that I am a scarf addict, so I probably wear H scarves during my visits to the SCP store since I wear them to work.

Obviously I have not thought about this question enough, the time before last, I visited H in an original 1960s sailor suit. Sometimes I just have enough time to pop in between doing other things :coolio:

I think the worst thing is to dress-up like 'someone else' as you will just look uncomfortable (plus the SA cant judge your real style) but if you want to show you mean 'business' I think a few well-chosen accessories to show you are not afraid to spend wouldn't do any harm.

It also depends on what H you're visiting :yes:

Another tip is go in only once or twice a year and spend a lot rather than in dribs and drabs. It used to annoy me when a former employer (in retail) fawned over 'big' spenders while regulars who spent the same but less money more frequently were not so well treated. For some reason lots of sales people fall over themselves for big bucks spends and these people's faces stick in their minds.

When I travel/vacation and want to visit an H store, I like to bring a couple of pochette/gavroches to wear with a tee or crisp white shirt if I am vacationing, and I do wear a nice pair of sandals or a small H bag if convenient. I love showing H how much I love their designs. I often appear at my own H store in totally casual attire /jeans-they know I am taking the day off. I just smile at the SA's when I walk in, go directly to the scarf counter and ask to see the current collection. It helps to look at the silks first before moving on to the more expensive items such as bags. If the SA's know you know the product, they are happy to assist. HTH.

Obviously I have not thought about this question enough, the time before last, I visited H in an original 1960s sailor suit. :coolio:

You tease. :coolio: Drop this line without a modeling pic?:coolio:

Another tip is go in only once or twice a year and spend a lot rather than in dribs and drabs. It used to annoy me when a former employer (in retail) fawned over 'big' spenders while regulars who spent the same but less money more frequently were not so well treated. For some reason lots of sales people fall over themselves for big bucks spends and these people's faces stick in their minds.

Good idea, but I was under the impression that inventories are so low, it is impossible not to purchase in dribs and drabs as they have stuff.

wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident. If dressing up a little more will do that, by all means do so.

That being said, being dressed well in hermes is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for receiving good service there. I've gone into plenty of stores on a whim while wearing very casual clothing and gotten great service. I've also gone into stores wearing a dress, a scarf, and a kelly and gotten followed around and glared at as though i were about to hold them up (*coughcoughmonacocough*).

ita!

Well . . . In Paris, my Church's ankle boots had three of the George V H SAs asking where I'd gotten my shoes because they were so nice. Maybe Church's? :P

Now, more seriously (although that was a true story), I tend to stumble into H on my travels when not at my sartorial best--traveling/touristing does that. I haven't felt under served by a SA because of what I'd worn, so I don't think you should worry. Typically, all I need to do is start asking specific questions, and they become very warm and helpful. Still . . . it's true they notice the bags--I admit that. And that farandole necklace . . . But those came AFTER being so well served that I wanted more Hermes.

Have fun!