how to dress like a hipster?

short vintage babydoll dress with the back cutout, extreme showing of the bra out the back, dirty messy stringy hair, messy 'ive thrown up twice already' make up, bruised legs and arms from falling over

at least that how hipsters look in melbourne

Wow, there's a lot of stereotyping going on in here. It's kind of narrow-minded and a little hateful.

You don't see people going "how do I look asian or 'thug'" and so on an so forth. Just seems a little interesting that it's ok to stereotype one group of people, but if you do it to another you're being disrespectful and small-minded.

^^^ Whoa. "Hipster" is a way of dressing and a sub-culture of sorts. It's not remotely comparable to an entire ethnicity, so let's not even go there. The hipster style of dress is distinctive...that's how they self-identify and that's what makes it a recognizable group. They are generally anti-establishment, so it follows that they strive for a deliberately unkempt, non-commercial look. Just because we are able to describe the elements of that look does not mean we are stereotyping them.

I've been to a "coffeehouse culture" party where everyone showed up in black turtlenecks, slick-backed hair and wire-rimmed glasses. Heck, I've even been to a Mom Jeans party (which was awesome). No one accused us of being disrespectful in either case.

It's absolutely stereotyping. The very definition of the word is an image used to describe a group of people.

My point is that when is it ok to point out certain criteria about a group of people, and when is it not? I'm just trying to compare these things so that people understand that regardless of what group you're picking out traits on, doing it in a mocking way is still wrong.

It's absolutely stereotyping. The very definition of the word is an image used to describe a group of people.

My point is that when is it ok to point out certain criteria about a group of people, and when is it not? I'm just trying to compare these things so that people understand that regardless of what group you're picking out traits on, doing it in a mocking way is still wrong.

You're right that there is a mocking tone in this thread. But the whole point of it is that it is a *costume* for a *party* so it's all about playing into stereotypes. There is an element of camp here. If the OP had come in here with serious intentions and said, I want to overhaul my image and start dressing like a goth, how would I do that? (just using a random example), then I'm pretty sure everyone would have responded in a respectful tone with constructive suggestions, i.e. wear lots of black, dye your hair black, etc..

This, however, is for a party. There really is no need to read into it more than that.

okay..the hipster look: fedora..big blazer..skinny jeans, possibly with a vintage wash and some tears in it...chucks with the tongues out, emo glasses with thick, black lenses