How to determine skin tone?

jstreete

. . .
O.G.
Feb 22, 2006
How exactly do you determine your skin tone? I've looked it up online and I'm having such a hard time. Warm, cool, olive, yellow, golden, neutral? HELP?!
When picking out foundations I just usually go with what looks best, but I still don't know my skin tone.

*Most* people are some variation of warm; truly cool coloring is pretty rare. Way too many women wear pink foundation that shouldn't IMO.

The best test I've tried is going somewhere like Sephora or MAC that has lots of makeup and take two shimmer powders (like loose eyeshadow or pigment), one silver one and one gold one and put swatches on your arm. Whichever one seems to disappear into your skin and blend in, that's what tone you are. It works way better than the gold/ silver jewelry test :yes:

Olive skin has some green undertones and can look really washed out when pale, but it always tans into a nice bronze color. Think of Jessica Alba when she's really pale, no makeup. She tends to look gray and ashy... But when she wears the right colors and makeup, her skin looks so gorgeous and healthy, kwim?