How to deal with receiving a fake

Apr 8, 2007
I bought eyeglasses off eBay and turned out they were fake. I opened a SNAD and the buyer wants me to ship them back. I told him to send me the return shipping cost and I would ship them back so I could get my refund. He refuses, should I ship them back anyway? I want my refund even though I think its unfair I have to pay for shipping. And when I ship them back as long as I have signature confirmation/tracking will I be OK with PP if he tries to cause trouble for me?

Thanks!

OK, so now after requesting the money to ship it back, the seller escalated it to a claim saying I am holding the item and trying to get the money and keep the item.. Will PP decide in my favor? He sounds very angry in the communication I have had with him and feel if I send them back he will try and say I messed them up. All I want is my refund back. How will PP decide in this case?

If paypal decides in your favor (very likely), they will ask you to send the item back to the seller then they will refund you the full amount including shipping that you paid the seller. You will be out of the postage to return the item to the seller.

Last edited:
OK good.. so PP has record of the seller's agreement to refund upon return. The return shipping is normally a buyer's expense. CALL PP tomorrow and advise them that the seller HAS agreed to refund upon return and ask them should you now proceed w/ the return.
IMO, once a dispute is escalated to a claim, you need to be chatting w/ PP on the phone.
Depending upon the PRICE of the transaction, you will have certain obligations on your return.. such as insurance and either signature confirmation or delivery confirmation. Be very certain to follow PP's guidelines for return shipping.
CALL PP ASAP.....

If pp has instructed to return, then do so according to their instructions.

You might need to have delivery confirmation, insurance or signature confirmation
for your own piece of mind that the seller has received the return of the item and you may even want to take a pic of the enclosed item so there are no additional issue about the condition or the item in question being sent back.