How to convert tapes into CDs???

mos

Whatever......
O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
Does anyone have experience converting casette tapes to mp3 format? :confused1: I searched online and found a number of software that can convert them. What equipment do I need? I want to throw out those tapes forever, but have valuable songs/lectures on them!!!

I haven't done tapes, but I've done my Dad's old LPs. This is my setup:

• A phonograph
  • Audio cables
  • Griffin Powerwave (which I just looked up and I see is discontinued)
  • Roxio Toast
  • iMac
The Powerwave is a USB device that converts the sound coming from the phonograph to digital. I was disappointed to see that they discontinued it, I have sent them an email to see if they have a new device; I looked on their website but didn't see anything similar. It was about $100 at that time.

Roxio Toast is software that cleans up the sound (does a good job removing cracking and hissing) and I use it to burn the CDs. If your CD player can display song names, you can use Toast to add the names to the CD before burning.

I did the converting for my Dad about a year and a half ago, I can't remember all of the small details, but it took me a while to get everything set up properly. Once I did that, it took me a week or so to record about 30 albums and create the cover art for the CDs and burn them. I bought him a nice CD case and presented it all to him for his birthday, since he doesn't have a phonograph that works anymore, and he loves his old music. :yes:

Check out this website, they have a nice tutorial, and have a simpler setup option for connecting the tape deck to the sound card in the PC:
Converting Tapes and Records to CD

This is an outrage. They can send a man to the moon, but they can't make a boom box with a slot for CD, a slot for a tape, and a button that says "Make CD From Tape."