How to convert tapes into CDs???

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Does anyone have experience converting casette tapes to mp3 format? :confused1: I searched online and found a number of software that can convert them. What equipment do I need? I want to throw out those tapes forever, but have valuable songs/lectures on them!!!

2. I haven't done tapes, but I've done my Dad's old LPs. This is my setup:

• A phonograph
    • Audio cables
    • Griffin Powerwave (which I just looked up and I see is discontinued)
    • Roxio Toast
    • iMac
    The Powerwave is a USB device that converts the sound coming from the phonograph to digital. I was disappointed to see that they discontinued it, I have sent them an email to see if they have a new device; I looked on their website but didn't see anything similar. It was about $100 at that time.

Roxio Toast is software that cleans up the sound (does a good job removing cracking and hissing) and I use it to burn the CDs. If your CD player can display song names, you can use Toast to add the names to the CD before burning.

I did the converting for my Dad about a year and a half ago, I can't remember all of the small details, but it took me a while to get everything set up properly. Once I did that, it took me a week or so to record about 30 albums and create the cover art for the CDs and burn them. I bought him a nice CD case and presented it all to him for his birthday, since he doesn't have a phonograph that works anymore, and he loves his old music. :yes:

Check out this website, they have a nice tutorial, and have a simpler setup option for connecting the tape deck to the sound card in the PC:
    Converting Tapes and Records to CD

3. Thanks for the info and the site....
    I am sure your Dad loved the gift. What a genius idea!!

4. This is an outrage. They can send a man to the moon, but they can't make a boom box with a slot for CD, a slot for a tape, and a button that says "Make CD From Tape."