HOW TO - Cleaning Make Up Brushes

1) You should definitely get your eye looked at. I somehow developed a Corneal ulcer that almost permanently blinded one eye. I went to Urgent Care, the ER, experienced vomitting, and was on a strict regimine of compound antibiotic drops every 15 mins for a few days. It was definitely attributed to bacteria.
2) I've read a good way to wash brushes is to use a gentle facial cleanser or shampoo. That MAC cleanser sounds like a winner, too. I might have to try that!

Thanks, everyone! ETenebris found a product from Smashbox, and I got a bottle of it at Ulta. It is a disinfectant, but I think it also has conditioners to protect the brushes. I think it did the trick. The antibiotics drops have just about cleared the whole infection up; the symptoms are almost completely gone. Unfortunately, school starts on Monday and I still might not be back in contacts by then, and will have to wear my glasses. But since I have all this great makeup and new clothes, I still look good!

I use bare escentuals and use their brushes. I just got their brush shampoo. I was wondering how often you all shampoo your brushes? Once a week? etc.

I use the brushes about 3-4 times per week.

Yes, this is the kind of question that makes me feel guilty because the honest answer is 'not often enough' and certainly not more than once per week, or even per fortnight.:shame:

I really don't clean them often enough, but I do use their "Quick change" cleaner between uses...it's a spray and it's good to use if you use the same brush for multiple products.

I make myself feel a bit better for not soaking them when I use that spray!!

I use those sponge things and about 3 different tip style Q-tips way more than I use my brushes, so I hardly ever shampoo them. Maybe a few times a year I just rub them in the soap, rinse them out, and stick them back in the little ornamental tin cup from Cambodia.

I clean my professional brushes after each use, for obvious sanitary reasons. My personal brushes I only clean every week or so. Unless, it's an eyeshadow brush. Those I clean more often because I use different colors often. In between cleanings I just brush them back and forth over a Kleenex to remove the bulk of the residue.

I clean my eyeliner brushes (my two thin-angle brushes as well as my pointy one) after each use. It's not hard; just a few seconds of gentle shampoo (Aveda Shampure is what I use) and then I let them dry on their side.

I am bad about doing my blush and powder brushes though ... much less frequently, maybe 3x per month?

I should probably clean than more, but I clean them about twice a month and then buy new ones every 6 months, my eyeliner and shadow brushed get cleaned much more though..