How to clean the clasps and metal work on Phoebe

HMT

Jan 17, 2013
Hi, you very knowledgeable ladies. Have received my pre-loved Phoebe and am managing the leather but wondered if there is anything I could do to improve the metal work which is looking a bit sad and tired. Thank you.

Hi - congratulations on your Phoebe - which colour/hardware is it please? Must admit, I'm not brave enough to try anything like 'Brasso' on the hardware, but hopefully, someone will be along to help you out.

HMT said:
Hi, my Pheobe is Darwin oak with brass coloured metal. I have tried to put pictures on from my iPad but can't manage!!!

Is ithe metal tarnished or scratched or just discoloured. In a test area, ie move strap away from brass ring so you get to the bit thats usually hidden and putting cloth over leather, use a baby wipe, if no joy, then a baby wipe with lemon juice, if no joy, add a tiny of almost dissolved salt or ive used products called bar keepers friend, its a powder that you mix into paste, rub in and wipe off......but in tiny amounts.

But must must try in hidden atea to see if you like result because it will make brass look lighter and newer.

To be honest one a lovely classic phoebe, id leave as it is though unless its really really bugging you.

Ellsxx (owner of 2 gorgeous vintage phoebes)

I've used brasso which stripped the metal totally and changed it but i liked the result, although it tarnishes quite easily afterwards which can be removed by regular toothpaste :smile:

Thank you for your replies. Will have a think which approach I will take. Not doing anything in a hurry in case I make a disastrous mistake and regret it.....I would cry!!!!

Thank you for your replies. Will have a think which approach I will take. Not doing anything in a hurry in case I make a disastrous mistake and regret it.....I would cry!!!!
You can always start somewhere that it will not show and see if you like it or not. I had a chocc Tooled Bays that I thought the brass had tarnished far to much as it was extremly dark and I started with the inside buckle on the straps and I really liked the resulats so I did the whole bagw ith Brasso. But it does get the old look back quite soon again but I think it looked a lot better and almost perfect after 3-4 weeks time when the new shine had worn off and it looked more worn in. :smile:

I used toothpaste and an old toothbrush on my EW Bays which lifted the tarnish a few shades but did not make it super shiny if you know what I mean. I used this because I was worried about damaging the surrounding leather as I cleaned it!

I used toothpaste and an old toothbrush on my EW Bays which lifted the tarnish a few shades but did not make it super shiny if you know what I mean. I used this because I was worried about damaging the surrounding leather as I cleaned it!
Thanks. Still a coward and debating what to do!!! Am sending for some of the furniture clinic stuff today so will wait and see the leather when all loved and cared for as it may make the brass look different.

Thanks. Still a coward and debating what to do!!! Am sending for some of the furniture clinic stuff today so will wait and see the leather when all loved and cared for as it may make the brass look different.