How to Clean Sticky Neoprene bags - My Story with my Vintage Fendi Baguette

gellee_cup

Mar 14, 2020
Hi guys!! I thought that I would share how I successfully cleaned my Fendi neoprene baguette because I haven't seen any post which really addresses how to do so. This is how I did it based on reading other threads on cleaning canvas/fabric bags and it's not really that much different. Please remember this is how I did it so it may not work for you, depending on the state etc of your bag etc so tweak it to fit your needs.

For context, I bought my bag from a Japanese eBay seller and was surprised just how sticky it was. It was so sticky that just after a few seconds of touching it I could feel the residue on my hands (ikr really gross). I tried wiping with just baby wipes but it was just not doing anything. The inside of the bag was especially sticky from age, storage and humidity etc. Also, the inner lining of my bag is neoprene as it is outside.
  • To clean it, I first removed the leather handle - you don't really want to submerge in water if you can help it. The main body of the bag did have leather parts i.e zipper but I couldn't help that (washing it in water didn't damage it thankfully).
  • Then I took some gentle detergent and poured about 1 teaspoon into a clean basin, and filled it with lukewarm water. You don't want to use hot water throughout this process because (apparently) it can set the stickiness.
  • I submerged the bag in the water and let it soak for a few hours.
  • When I came back the water looked quite dirty and brown (from the black dye of the bag I think + dirt). I then took a bit of detergent on my fingers and rubbed the parts of the bag which was most sticky (the inner edges). I also used a toothbrush dipped in a bit of detergent to scrub the zippers because they were also covered in grime.
  • After that I thoroughly rinsed the bag with cold water to get rid of the detergent. I also squeezed the bag to get rid of any excess water.
  • I didn't clip my bag to dry, instead I laid it flat on a rack so that it wouldn't lose its shape.
  • I also took a dry cloth and wiped the metal hardware and leather parts so that it wouldn't be that affected by the water. Tbh idk if that did anything but I wanted to be sure.
  • I let it dry overnight and it was done! It smelt great and I could really feel how clean the bag was compared to before. Be sure to let the bag dry thoroughly especially if it has leather bits.
I actually washed my bag 3 times because I had trouble getting rid of the stickiness in some parts of the bag, but if your bag isn't as crazy sticky as mine you wouldn't need to do it more than once.
Other things I did to clean my bag:
  • polished the hardware on my bag with a silver/gold/steel etc fluid which was really effective in making it shiny and removing dirt,
  • used a deep cleaning leather spray and leather conditioner on the leather parts of the bag (strap, zipper etc).
I've read that you could put your fabric bag in the washing machine on a low/gentle setting but I didn't want to risk that. I just think hand-washing is a lot safer.

I'm really pleased with the results as this was my 1st vintage luxury piece I bought with my own money and cleaning a bag like this!! Anyway I hope that this will help someone! I'm not an expert so if you have anything else to add please fire away! :biggrin:
IMG20200410170926.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks so much for posting this! I’ve been searching for a solution to clean my sticky fendi baguette for several months now. I had no luck when I took it the dry cleaners and basically wasted $20. I’m excited to test this out!

Reactions: gellee_cup
Hi guys!! I thought that I would share how I successfully cleaned my Fendi neoprene baguette because I haven't seen any post which really addresses how to do so. This is how I did it based on reading other threads on cleaning canvas/fabric bags and it's not really that much different. Please remember this is how I did it so it may not work for you, depending on the state etc of your bag etc so tweak it to fit your needs.

For context, I bought my bag from a Japanese eBay seller and was surprised just how sticky it was. It was so sticky that just after a few seconds of touching it I could feel the residue on my hands (ikr really gross). I tried wiping with just baby wipes but it was just not doing anything. The inside of the bag was especially sticky from age, storage and humidity etc. Also, the inner lining of my bag is neoprene as it is outside.
  • To clean it, I first removed the leather handle - you don't really want to submerge in water if you can help it. The main body of the bag did have leather parts i.e zipper but I couldn't help that (washing it in water didn't damage it thankfully).
  • Then I took some gentle detergent and poured about 1 teaspoon into a clean basin, and filled it with lukewarm water. You don't want to use hot water throughout this process because (apparently) it can set the stickiness.
  • When I came back the water looked quite dirty and brown (from the black dye of the bag I think + dirt). I then took a bit of detergent on my fingers and rubbed the parts of the bag which was most sticky (the inner edges). I also used a toothbrush dipped in a bit of detergent to scrub the zippers because they were also covered in grime.
  • After that I thoroughly rinsed the bag with cold water to get rid of the detergent. I also squeezed the bag to get rid of any excess water.
  • I didn't clip my bag to dry, instead I laid it flat on a rack so that it wouldn't lose its shape.
  • I also took a dry cloth and wiped the metal hardware and leather parts so that it wouldn't be that affected by the water. Tbh idk if that did anything but I wanted to be sure.
  • I let it dry overnight and it was done! It smelt great and I could really feel how clean the bag was compared to before. Be sure to let the bag dry thoroughly especially if it has leather bits.
I actually washed my bag 3 times because I had trouble getting rid of the stickiness in some parts of the bag, but if your bag isn't as crazy sticky as mine you wouldn't need to do it more than once.
  • polished the hardware on my bag with a silver/gold/steel etc fluid which was really effective in making it shiny and removing dirt,
  • used a deep cleaning leather spray and leather conditioner on the leather parts of the bag (strap, zipper etc).
I've read that you could put your fabric bag in the washing machine on a low/gentle setting but I didn't want to risk that. I just think hand-washing is a lot safer.

I'm really pleased with the results as this was my 1st vintage luxury piece I bought with my own money and cleaning a bag like this!! Anyway I hope that this will help someone! I'm not an expert so if you have anything else to add please fire away! :biggrin:
View attachment 4707175
I have the same bag that I bought many years ago in my closet and haven't been able to use, because of the same issue. I am going to try you suggestions to try and remove the residue. Can you list exactly what you used in the steps? Thanks

View attachment 4707175
You are such a lifesaver! I just bought the same bag from a Japanese seller and had the same problem. I used your steps and then kind of tweaked them a little. I also found that if you use Oxiclean with the detergent it helps take out the vintage smell. In another wash cycle, I tested Dawn dish soap and it took away most of the stickiness on the bag and hardware, with less scrubbing and wash/rinse cycles. I definitely won't be worried about buying a sticky neoprene bag anymore!

You are such a lifesaver! I just bought the same bag from a Japanese seller and had the same problem. I used your steps and then kind of tweaked them a little. I also found that if you use Oxiclean with the detergent it helps take out the vintage smell. In another wash cycle, I tested Dawn dish soap and it took away most of the stickiness on the bag and hardware, with less scrubbing and wash/rinse cycles. I definitely won't be worried about buying a sticky neoprene bag anymore!
Hi I'm so glad to hear that! Since we have the same bag, I was wondering is the stitching on the inside of your bag perfect, in particular the seams? Sorry if this is a weird question, I just wanted to check. I think mine is counterfeit since it isn't perfect or even all around and I will be returning it. What a shame!

Hi I'm so glad to hear that! Since we have the same bag, I was wondering is the stitching on the inside of your bag perfect, in particular the seams? Sorry if this is a weird question, I just wanted to check. I think mine is counterfeit since it isn't perfect or even all around and I will be returning it. What a shame!
I wouldn’t say the stitching on mine is perfect but it does seem to be pretty uniform. Here’s a picture of mine, after I turned it inside out.

7A1D3011-A5E5-44B4-A3FD-5CB193A1961F.jpeg

I wouldn’t say the stitching on mine is perfect but it does seem to be pretty uniform. Here’s a picture of mine, after I turned it inside out.

View attachment 4782691
Thanks for the pic! The stitching on mine looks like that but maybe a bit more uneven. I also found that there are loose threads inside the upper corners of the bag. May I also ask if the "FENDI" engraving on the left side of the buckle perfect on yours?

Thanks for the pic! The stitching on mine looks like that but maybe a bit more uneven. I also found that there are loose threads inside the upper corners of the bag. May I also ask if the "FENDI" engraving on the left side of the buckle perfect on yours?

No problem! Glad to help. My bag also has a few loose threads near the top of the lining. I think it's just from the age and wear of the bag. I haven't noticed any popped or torn stitches where the loose threads are so I'm not too worried about it. As for the engravings, my engravings on the bag are pretty clear. Here are some pictures of mine:

IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0696.JPG

Thank you for posting this! I inherited this bag from my now-deceased mother-in-law. It became sticky while in a closet in its protective purse pouch/cover. Kinda gross that this happens to such an expensive item. I'm going to try your cleaning solution!

I bought the same vintage Fendi baguette from Vestiaire and it arrived soooo sticky. Was so disappointed but then tried your method and it worked a treat! Thanks so much for posting :smile: