How to clean/sterilize used gold earrings?

smallfry

My Sweet Angel
O.G.
Dec 18, 2005
Yay! Got an amazing deal on a pair of used 18kt yellow gold earrings on an auction site, and am wondering how to sterilize them prior to wearing. Thanks in advance :smile:

Alcohol will kill most things and I highly recommend it for cleaning and getting your diamonds super sparkly. However, to really disinfect and be certain to kill any potential bad things, get a cup of really hot water and add just 2-3 drops of bleach. Soak for no more than 5 minutes. And rinse. You don't want too much bleach because it can pit your jewelry, but bleach will kill it all. I'm really paranoid about this because I once got a wart on my ear and it was traced back to just trying on a pair of earrings.
We learned at first aid that if we could figure out how to put bleach in the blood system without killing you, AIDS and many other diseases would be cured.

Alcohol will kill most things and I highly recommend it for cleaning and getting your diamonds super sparkly. However, to really disinfect and be certain to kill any potential bad things, get a cup of really hot water and add just 2-3 drops of bleach. Soak for no more than 5 minutes. And rinse. You don't want too much bleach because it can pit your jewelry, but bleach will kill it all. I'm really paranoid about this because I once got a wart on my ear and it was traced back to just trying on a pair of earrings.
We learned at first aid that if we could figure out how to put bleach in the blood system without killing you, AIDS and many other diseases would be cured.

Sorry to hear about your wart, Kitsunegrl...that must have hurt. Bleach with water sounds like the way to go! Thank you so much :flowers:

^I wasn't sure what most people have access to; luckily I have access to an autoclave so that's what I use if the earrings are all metal. I know people say it can discolor gold, but I have never seen it happen.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and put mix some windex in there with the soap/cleaner. Adding a little alcohol would not hurt I feel sure. Or if you don't have the ultrasonic cleaner, just cleaning the backs with alcohol sounds good. I carry the little individual alcohol wipes in my bag so I can use them if I have to try on anything like earrings (works for disinfecting cuts too) :smile: