How to Clean Fabric Purse w/ Patent Leather Accents?

Apr 7, 2014
Michigan
Hi guys!

This is my first post :smile:

I'm a bit of a Coach newbie, but I am totally obsessed now that I have started buying a few, especially when you can get them at such great prices on eBay.

So, my question is this: I got a used blue Coach Poppy 3D Art Glam Tote (style #14983) & the fabric on it is dirty. It's a canvas like material, but the accents around the handles are aqua patent leather, and I am so afraid that in the process of getting the stains out of the fabric that I will ruin the patent leather trim.

My initial thought was to try OxiClean on the fabric (because that stuff is seriously a miracle worker) but I am so afraid that it will ruin the leather as I've heard of people having that issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to ICON card members.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 thread.
Apr 7, 2014
Michigan
I'm in the kitchen now taking soap and water to the handles with a toothbrush. It's quite effective actually! And, according to Coach, soap & water won't hurt patent leather.

There is just very very faint brown on the handles now (much less than in the before pics) & so I'm going to take OxiClean to it very sparingly and try my best to avoid the leather parts, which shouldn't be too hard such I used to soap & water to do the majority of the hard work.

Apr 7, 2014
Michigan
The cleaning is finished. I guess it's a good thing I was willing to take risks on my $50 purse, since nobody else had any advice to contribute.

The purse is next to perfect. It looks very gently used, but much better than when I first got it. I am really impressed with how much of a beating this tote will take without becoming damaged. I used 3 different stain fighters on it (outdated OxiClean, Grease Lightening, & Shout). I can't really say which one worked best - honestly I think the plain soap & water was the most effective.

I spot treated the handles with soap & water & a toothbrush & then I put it in the tub and soaked it in water & put a ton of stain fighter on it & let it hang in the shower. I repeated this process about 4 times within an hour and scrubbed the bag with a toothbrush each time. When it looked as good as I was capable of getting it, I stuffed it very taut with white towels taut & it is now hanging in the shower to dry. I think when it dries I am going to be really impressed & happy, especially since this was only my 3rd Coach, & my first cleaning project with a used one.

I'd post after pics if anybody is interested, although the before pics don't really show how brown some of the canvas was (especially the handles!).