How to clean/disinfect used shoes

minimomo

May 28, 2007
Hi!

I'm new to buying used shoes and in search of ways to clean, I mean reaaallly clean, it without damaging the shoes (and fairly new to this part of the forum). I found these instructions: Link

I was wondering if anyone done this before. I wasn't sure:

1. if you're supposed was literally pour the rubbing alcohol on the shoe inside and outside, or just inside or pour the alcohol onto a cotton pad or paper towel and soak the inside. I do know you need to get it with less than 10% water to prevent damage.
  2. if the bleach water will damage the leather/suede/color
  3. if I should opt for Master Rental XK-12 Shoe Spray to disinfect and deodorize
So how do you girls clean, and disinfect your newly bought, used CL's without damaging them?

TIA!

P.S. I'm a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to shoes since my aunty had a bad experience but I bought my first pair of CL's even though they were used because it was an awesome deal.

Last edited:
I don't think there's talk about disinfecting shoes in that thread so it would be great to add it. I believe i read somewhere that someone used Lysol. I would not spray the shoes though. I would spray a paper towel then gently rub the inside of the shoe and the sole.

Thanks Jet, I'll be sure to do that instead of spraying the shoes.

Thanks for the links meggy!

Maybe I'm just way too paranoid with this. I'm imaging myself slowly wiping the shoe with alcohol first, letting it dry, and then redoing it it twice... wait half a day then lysol/clorox it, three times... then wait until the next day to do the anti-fungal stuff. lol. I'll probably skip the bleach step in fear that it will damage the shoe.

OMG That's hilarious! How dirty are these shoes? I think a gentle clean with leather gleaner and a little Lysol should do the trick more often than not.

Rubbing alcohol could also damage the shoes, people recommend it for the sock trick when you're stretching the shoes, but I think it's caused the colours to run for some people, you might want to talk to a cobbler.

Jet - It's not really visibly dirty at all inside but I'm concerned about germs/fungus that might be lingering around. lol. The only thing in dire need of help are the soles but I'm taking them to the cobbler for rubber soles.

hay_been - Ah, okay. I'll be careful with that. I read if you use rubbing alcohol that contains more than 10% water will damage shoes.