How to clean a pen mark / ink stain

First thing to do is to make a mark with that pen or a similar one on a scrap piece of colored leather or an old thriftstore bag as your test area..if you have no access to leather I guess you could use a piece of fabric ..use your test leather to find out if the ink is water soluble, oil soluble or alcohol soluble..ie does water and an inert soap such as woolite help remove it,..or does oil such as a baby wipe or orange oil help remove it, or does alcohol dissolve it better..when you find which helped best on the scrap leather or fabric you are ready to try to repair the pen mark on your beautiful wallet..For a tool you need to find something that is almost as narrow as the pen line..I have succesfully used the tip on the handle of an artists paintbrush where it comes to a point, then I covered that tip with a paper towel scrap..I have also tried a q tip although I whittled it to a narrower point before I started..then it is a matter of applying the cleaner that worked best on your test penmark to the mark on your wallet..try to get the cleanser on JUST the penline and do only a little area at a time, changing the cotton or the paper towel constantly so that you are NOT spreading the ink-stain..First I suggest waiting until more folks respond as you might get more skilled advice than mine..and remember that pen is one of the HARDEST of all stains to remove..

Last edited:
I am so thankful for this forum.....
This morning, I got pen on my bag :sad: boo hoo.... I felt sick...

But, after reading this thread, I decided to try the white eraser and it WORKED! I couldn't be happier!!!!

Now, to clarify this was a ball-point pen, the mark was long... about 1-1.5 inches, and of varying intensity. I did not dare use alcohol as the mark is right on the front of my bag. So, I used an Engineer's white block eraser and as I 'erased' I could see the eraser picking up the ink. The mark is SOOOO faint. Hardly noticeable.....
Thanks to those that suggested the eraser. I am not sure I would recommend it for a felt-tip pen that could smear, but it worked perfectly for ball-point :smile: I wish I had thought to take before - after pics.

Does anyone know how to remove a small ink stain from a B bag? I can't believe this but I bought an anthracite city gsh with a small ink stain on 1 handle, it was the last one at Barney's. So if anyone has a miracle stain remover please let me know. THANKS!:tup:

I'm afraid that anything that will pull the ink out, will also remove the bag's color. :Push:

I could be wrong. If you decide to try anything be sure to test it on the end of a tassel, or somewhere hidden first.

If you are good with color, you might try mixing some Tarrago dye colors to match your bag, and then dab it on the ink stain to cover it. I'd make it a bit paler, to compensate for a little fading. It seems inevitable.

I just got ink on my jaune day and I am too scared to try anything. I guess I will try my LMB cleaner...but I am thinking it will never come out. Has anyone ever had success getting ink out?

^I used isopropyl alcohol to remove ink stains from my cream colored Chanel flap. Know that this can remove color and you have to be very, very careful. I used an alcohol swab (like the swabs used in hospitals) but a small amount of isopropyl alcohol from the bottle on a q-tip will also suffice. I followed this up with leather conditioner to combat any dryness and can't even tell where the ink stains were located.

Perhaps because my bag was cream colored is the reason no color lifted off. If you try this on your jaune day, don't rub hard, gently glide the swab or q-tip over the ink stain only, carefully avoiding any surrounding color.

My results were great but I would hate to see someone try this and end up with a worse situation. Proceed with caution and if you want it done right, consult a professional.

Old wives tales are a major cause of most repairs that leather technicians go out to fix and hairspray and solvents are the most common. Taking notice of these untested/unproved old wives tales could cost you a great deal of money if it goes wrong.
Just repaired a very expensive jacket that had been virtually ruined by using hairspray to remove ink. It did not remove the ink and left a far worse problem to solve.

Successful ink removal will depend on the type of leather you have, please see the following:

http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk/whatkind...

For ink removal:

Ink Removal
Removing ink from leather is not a cleaning problem.
Most ink removal products will not work simply because of the length of time the ink has been on the leather.

Ink is a dye and has re-coloured the leather (this is what it is meant to do)
The longer the ink has been on the leather the harder it is to remove because it soaks into the finish. Once it has soaked into the finish you have to use very strong products to remove it, which will also remove finish and pigment which then need replacing.

Pigment/Protected leather
If the ink is on a pigmented leather then the first thing you should try is an Ink Stick. The fresher the ink the more chance you have of removing it. It is a good idea to have one in your house if you have pale leather and children!!!!

Old ink will be harder to remove than new ink and may mean resorting to solvents which will also remove the finish. This is probably best left to the experts

If an ink stick doesn't work a solvent based remover will need to be used and it may also remove finish and pigment so is best left to the experts.

You should also be using Leather Protect on your handbag. This will act like a 'scotchgard' and will make any more mishaps easier to clean off.

You will see many people recommending household products to remove ink – this is not recommended as most simply will not work, some may appear to work but the damage they cause can make a much bigger problem which is then un-repairable (even by a technician)

DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING:

Hairspray - This is very risky as it can make the matter far worse by spreading the ink over a bigger area and can sometimes then be impossible to fix.
Nail Varnish remover/solvents will remove the finish on the leather even if you cannot tell it is doing so and this will then need replacing, and alcohol may do the same depending on the strength of the finish on the leather.
Baby wipes – just about the worst thing you can use on a leather as they break down the finish and will eventually ruin it.
Milk or Toothpaste - these are just silly ideas that will leave sticky residues on the surface which will help to break down the finish on your leather.
Silicones/furniture polish – should not be used on leather. They will form a coating on the surface of the leather which will not allow any moisture to get to the leather itself and will eventually break all the finish down and cause it to crack.
Hide food will not remove ink and will leave residues on the leather which will attract dirt and oils.
Most leather cleaners will not remove ink unless a very good leather protector has been used on a regular basis.
Magic sponges or erasers. These have been tested by experts in the leather industry and have found to do a lot of damage to certain finish types on leather.

Aniline Style Leather
As aniline style leathers are largely absorbent it means that the ink will have soaked straight into the leather itself. This makes it impossible to remove. No product will successfully remove the ink.

DO NOT try ink removing products on aniline style leathers as most will leave a greasy residue which will then cause another problem.

Because aniline style leathers are absorbent the ink will carry on moving through the leather and may become less obvious over time. Cleaning and protecting will also help to dissipate over time

http://www.lttsolutions.net/

Leathworldtech.com has a variety of ink removal products. You don't want ink killer - it will remove your color entirely! But they have a soft cleaner and an ink stick that are designed for removing ink without removing all the color (always try on a hidden part of the bag!)

Balenciagas have quite a bit of finish on the outside of the bag, above the dye in the leather - so it's not necessarily the case that the ink is all the way into the leather. I know this because I'm removing ink from one of mine and have managed to get quite a bit of pure isopropyl alcohol on parts of the bag that doesn't have ink (I was mortified - but absolutely nothing changed from one little swipe of alcohol).

The thing to do is to use a q-tip (I wouldn't start with pure isopropyl alcohol - but with one of the milder products linked above) and be patient. Put some on and then DAB it off. If ANY ink is coming off, repeat - waiting each time to make sure nothing else about your bag is changing.

An entire pen broke in my bag, but if I were dealing with just a little pen line, I'd have confidence, now, to try this. I'm sure LMB products would work too - depends on how long the ink is on there. The link above sells a stick that's for 24 hours or less (I'm going to keep one on hand from now on).

Some B-bags have more protective finish (shine) on them than others (depending on age, but also they just do them differently - my 07 Magenta is WAY less shiney/protected than my 06 Carmel). So be careful, but if it were me, I'd take the ink out and then condition. If there is any bag color missing, I might consider ordering that spanish leather dye (Tarrago) and putting on a tiny bit with a q-tip - to me, that would be far better than an ink mark.

I realize that others views on this could vary.

This thread is a lifesaver...I did the rubbing alcohol trick.I noticed that I had like almost an inch pen mark either black or blue on the front of my work.I tried the white eraser and could see it was getting ready to take my color away on my 05 rouge so them I started dabbing the alcohol and it started disappearing.I think it had been there a couple of hrs or longer.

just found a black ink mark on my electric blue day. Not noticable unles you know what you are looking for and I am not about to do anything!!! Let me rephrase... I am SCARED to do anything as my BBag still has that glossy/ protected color.

Waaahhh.. will try LMB cleaner when i get home!