How to clean a pen mark / ink stain

It could be a pen mark, but I understand that on lighter colors, small black dots can be found that are the size of a fine pen mark. I have no idea why there would be small blk marks, but apparently it happens on lighter shades..anyone else heard of this?

I think you may be right here. On the back of the bag there are some other, smaller black marks. These seem to be part of the leather somehow, they disappear when light hits the bag at a certain angle. This big one that I am showing here, however, is much more noticeable and does NOT disappear at any angle. I am not sure if it's a different kind of mark (seems kind of weird, to have different kinds of dots on the same side of the same bag) or whether it's the same as the other dots but more pronounced and larger.

Has anybody else noticed dark spots on their bags?

Yep, sure looks like it to me. I seem to recall that you got it from AR?? You don't want to bother with removing an ink mark on a brand-new bag. Return if you can.
(If you can't, it's tiny and in the back - see if you can get a partial refund - if you can live with it)
Good luck!!

Yep, from AR and it's their last one. I can return in any case but usually buyer has to carry return postage (which is not cheap from where I am).

AR don't seem to do partial refunds or reduce bbags, even when faulty (tried that). However, I haven't heard back about this bag yet so we'll see.

I'm not sure if I can live with it ...

I would return it. That doesn't look like a Balenciaga "freckle."

You can't safely remove an ink mark.

A Balenciaga freckle wouldn't have that slight "bleed" appearance on the edges.

Thanks, this is very helpful to know. I haven't got any other bags with "freckles" so I have nothing to compare it to.

However, as I said above, further up there are a couple more, smaller dark spots but those aren't visible from every angle whereas this big mark is. I wonder if they are all pen marks or whether the other marks are perhaps in the leather.

Do you know what the cause of "freckles" is anyway (leaving aside the question whether these are or aren't)?

Yep, from AR and it's their last one. I can return in any case but usually buyer has to carry return postage (which is not cheap from where I am).

AR don't seem to do partial refunds or reduce bbags, even when faulty (tried that). However, I haven't heard back about this bag yet so we'll see.

I'm not sure if I can live with it ...

I totally know how you feel - and I'm the same way. It may be worth paying return postage to not be stuck with a less-than-perfect bag that just cost you $1k.

BTW, Aloha rag told me of the small black marks when describing a certain bag (a magenta step) that I passed on. I don't know if Bal NY would tell you that...?? You could also email them your pic of the ink mark - see what they have to say. I have seen the tiny black marks on light colors like BG pink. BUt I think the one in your pic IS a pen mark...

BTW, Aloha rag told me of the small black marks when describing a certain bag (a magenta step) that I passed on. I don't know if Bal NY would tell you that...?? You could also email them your pic of the ink mark - see what they have to say. I have seen the tiny black marks on light colors like BG pink. BUt I think the one in your pic IS a pen mark...

This bag is also from AR and they were very accurate in describing the leather. However, they did NOT mention the mark. I have emailed them a picture but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for your opinion. I think you're right, the mark really does look like pen. :wtf:

I totally know how you feel - and I'm the same way. It may be worth paying return postage to not be stuck with a less-than-perfect bag that just cost you $1k.

I will wait to hear what AR say but it helps to hear that you all think it's pen too.

Sometimes I find that I can live with something but at first I thought I couldn't, so I won't make a rash decision on this. You know, it's such a small thing in the big picture of life but still disappointing when you've been looking forward to receiving a new, perfect bag and exchanging isn't an option. Sigh.

I think it looks like a pen mark too. I've had a bag with a "freckle" and they are just a darker color of the bag or black. I've heard it's the goat's natural hide. Good luck with what you decide to do.

sorry drati :Push:

in the close up's it looks like a pen mark to me.

my sandstone city has a pen mark...or at least i think it's a pen mark, i guess it could be a freckle. i noticed it right away, but i kept her anyway b/c i fugured it's so tiny - nobody but me would even notice.

how do you like the color and leather though? regardless of the mark.

Unfortunately, I think it looks like a pen mark as well. I'm surprised this is from AR -- why would a brand new bag have these marks? I'd exchange it. Good luck!

looks like a pen mark drati. but it isn't that noticeable unless you are deliberately checking every inch of the bag. if it isnt too much trouble and they still have another one in stock i'd exchange it. else keep it.

Jzlyn, this was their last one so I can't exchange. It's either return and try to find another one somewhere or keep and live with it.

Verty, I'm not sure about leather yet. But I'm often like this is with a new bag, it takes me a little while to get used to it. It really is very veiny -- is yours like this? I have no other bag this veiny and I'm wonder how it will wear in. Will the veins and crackles lessen over time? The leather is not dry, just very textured.

The colour is nice but again, not sure yet if it's for me. But then I felt a bit unsure about Sahara and I just totally love that bag now. I'm sure glad I kept Sahara when I was deciding between vert thyme and Sahara, even if it means that I might miss out on vert thyme now.

So, still a bit on the fence but I know myself and it doesn't mean I won't end up loving it. Weird, huh?

I think it looks like a pen mark too. I've had a bag with a "freckle" and they are just a darker color of the bag or black. I've heard it's the goat's natural hide. Good luck with what you decide to do.

This is agneau too, does it have the same qualities as goat in this regard?

These marks are definitely NOT the same shade of colour, just darker. They look black/bluish.

Any moderators reading?

I'm just wondering why this thread got moved so quickly to care and maintenance. It's kind of an acute question right now, about a particular issue that isn't really related to care or maintenance. :confused1: