how to care for new michael kors watch?

shells

will work for bags!
O.G.
Nov 20, 2007
i was wondering if the wonderful tpf members could help me out with this one! i just bought a rose gold :love: michael kors watch ( http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...cat145&index=20&cmCat=cat000000cat145cat20403 )and i'm trying to figure out how to care for it. i asked the SA regarding scratches and whether they can be buffed out or if the rose gold is just a plating and he assured me that a jeweler could help to buff it and that the rose gold color goes through the links (not so sure!) i noticed a lot of the watches had almost black/brown scratches on the links. i've worn the watch twice for maybe a couple hours each, and have ended up with black marks on my wrist, almost as if the watch was tarnished. it says it is stainless steel, so why would i have tarnish marks? i understand that the watch will be scratched with use, but why are the marks dark? i don't expect this to be a watch that is going to last forever, but if it's gonna turn my wrist black and look strange once scratched, i'd rather spend my money elsewhere! anyone have any experience, i'd greatly appreciate some insight! :smile:

Sorry to say, I had the WORST experience with my Kors watch. I bought it on a whim as it is not expensive, as a sort of "fun" watch...it was sporty and looked really nice, so I thought it would make a nice alternative to my investment watches.

I had yellow gold instead of rose but it was just terrible - they "guarantee" the plating for 2 years but it wore off within 2 months! I didn't wear while working out or doing anything beyond daily activities like walking around, shopping, work, etc.; I mostly wore it to work where all I do is sit on the computer and apparently the area where the watch touched the desk/keyboard wore down to the SS in 2 months (gold with SS spots, anyone?). How? I have other plated "fun" watches and haven't had this problem with any of them (or, at least, not so quickly).

I thought it might have been a defective band - can happen - so I went back. They were surprised at Kors, they'd never seen something like that. I was relieved and thought it was just a one off. They replaced the band...guess what? New band, same old problem but almost immediately. This went on for a year, new bands, waiting for my watch and it would just simply wear out - the plating was just shoddy.

Eventually they took it back and refunded my purchase - 100% - about a year and a half after I originally bought it. That should say enough.

It was a lovely looking watch, it kept time well and I received great service BUT it didn't stand up to use. I will never get another one from them after this.

As for the black marks, I got them maybe only once/twice if a spatter of water would get in between some links. Can also happen if it is humid/warm outside and your arm gets a bit moist (don't want to say sweaty!)...shouldn't happen regularly, though. Could also come from lotion/cream on your hands/arm as well (if you wear that).

I cant speak about the rose gold watch but I have a stainless one and its been awesome. I never take it off and the face is perfect. there are small minute scratches around the face but that's because I wear alot of bracelets with the watch at all times, even sleeping. I expect that to happen. Not sure how the rose gold will hold up but they do have great customer service. If you are not happy for any reason, return it. Good Luck and enjoy.

thanks guys, i've been wearing it and still noticing some small black marks on my wrists (maybe i have sweaty wrists? it is quite a large watch) but i'm gonna wear it anyway. i contacted michael kors and they told me "It is our recommendation at the Michael Kors
time piece collection are fashion watches"...which i take to mean "they look good but won't last forever!" i love it anyway, and am gonna take the risk of wearing it. have received compliments on it every time i wear it!

thanks guys, i've been wearing it and still noticing some small black marks on my wrists (maybe i have sweaty wrists? it is quite a large watch) but i'm gonna wear it anyway. i contacted michael kors and they told me "It is our recommendation at the Michael Kors
time piece collection are fashion watches"...which i take to mean "they look good but won't last forever!" i love it anyway, and am gonna take the risk of wearing it. have received compliments on it every time i wear it!

I'm sorry, but I find that unacceptable. I have bought MANY cheap fashion watches in my younger years, and I'm talking cheap, like under $30, and I never experienced those kinds of problems at all. $250 is a lot of money to pay for something that is doing that. I understand you love it, so at least exchange it for another and see if it's any better.

I have two, a rose gold and a silver one. Both same models. The stainless one has held up beautify and I am hard on my watches. I stack other bangles and chains with them, knock it around, rest it on my keyboard, etc. The rose one, not so much. I've worn it just a handful of times and I've just kept it in the box since. Definitely not for everyday use. It is incredibly scratched up on one side which while it wasn't incredibly expensive, it is the principle.

Thanks for the info Julian, I may have to take it to my Kors here and ask them about changing the band.

Wow, reading this thread really sucks. I can't believe the poor quality of these watches! I was thinking of getting a rose gold Kors watch next month, but I guess I'll start looking at something else instead. It wouldn't be my everyday watch, but I know I'm not careful with my hands/wrists, and it would get beaten up fairly fast. I know $250 isn't a ton of money, but still, you spend that much and you'd think that the quality would be a lot better.

Thanks for posting your experiences ladies, you've certainly saved my from a headache!

I have a few Michael Kors' watches and have never experienced a problem like yours. I don't wear them all the time but, when I do, they're perfect. Perhaps there is something wrong with this particular watch?

I have the MK Goldtone chrono watch, my fiance bought it for me for Christmas. I love it and haven't had any problems with it. I wear it almost everyday and the goldtone is still perfect, it hasn't scratched (at least not that I've noticed) and it certainly hasn't had any reactions with my skin, so no black marks or anything.