How to buy snakeskin shoes (excerpt from Lucky magazine)

Chi town Chanel

Meow!
O.G.
Dec 18, 2007
For those of you who are interested in exotics, the April issue of Lucky magazine (p. 112) had this info:

As far as aesthetics go, designer Anya Hindmarch says, "The size of the scales should match the size of the product." Since shoes don't have a lot of surface area, pick smaller-size scale patterns instead of larger ones for the prettiest graphic effect.

"The type of tanning chemicals used makes a huge difference," says designer Devi Kroell: Chemical dyes can stiffen the skin; vegetable dyes will leave it more supple. And in general, the darker the dye, the harder it is on the snakeskin, so natural or light hued skins will last the longest.

Once you get them home, use clear furniture polish to gently moisturize your shoes at least once a month.

Chi Town Chanel.... thank you, thank you!!!!!

That was hugely helpful!!!!!!!!!!! I would've never guessed that about the clear furniture polish!! Now I'll feel I'm doing something to take care of them and keep them nice. I greatly appreciate your help.

You are welcome. Please note that I have not tried this myself, so I would do a spot test first.

Does anyone else have experience moisturizing python/lizard? If so, please post it here.