How to buff scratches on Brass Belt Buckle?

nimbette2

Oct 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA USA
www.pbase.com
OMG, I am going to try it! I think it's brass and not brass plated..I hope so. I just bought it and when I called the store - the SA said that nothing can be done. That it's the nature of the product and all scratches should be left alone. That seemed like a crazy answer to me. I don't want to walk around with horrible scratches all the time.

Thanks again!

canipus

Sep 9, 2008
OMG, I am going to try it! I think it's brass and not brass plated..
Hmmm... are you sure? I'd be really careful. The brass work on most of the LV bags used to be brass plated or nickel plated steel, so unless something has changed I don't see why they would suddenly use solid brass on the belts. Besides brass is soft and has to be pretty thick to withstand the stress and strain of a belt tang. Mild steel is usually used and then the steel is plated to make it look pretty. Mind you Cartier use solid 18kt gold in the tongue buckle of their watch straps and 18kt gold isn't that strong so who knows? I would polish it very lightly over a small section first. I understand how you feel. I've just purchased a well used vintage LV bag from one of the on-line reputable vintage stores and from the photos the buckle part of the bag really lets it down. The bag looks great but the tarnished metal work sort of spoils the effect. I think this is a case of where LV could really improve the plating of their metal work as their product are not exactly cheap. Of course if the products kept on looking brand new all the time then we might lose the urge to keep on repurchasing new products.

nimbette2

Oct 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA USA
www.pbase.com
Thanks so much for the advice. I went to the LV and the SA looked at it and said that I should buy any metal polisher and use it to remove it. He said it would come right off and has suggested it to all customers. If it were bad to use the produt, why would they recommend that?

Well, if anything - I can have the buckle removed. I certainly won't buy this style belt again - I am now eyeing the trunks version of the buckle - looks more durable than the LV's.

realcapetowngirl

May 12, 2020
Hi!
The exact same thing happened to my LV belt. It got scratched by my kitchen granite work top as I was standing against it. I visited so many forums where people say a polish will work. Well it didn’t. I then took batters into my own hands. I lightly bugged it with a brasso pad then I sprayed it with Rust Oleum metallic gold spray. See the before and after photos and now it looks brand new! Good luck with yours.

I bought an LV belt a week ago, and it already has a ton of scratches that look horrible. How do you buff them off to look shiny and scratch free?

Any metal creams/polish?

Help!

Thanks !!
2FE29EB7-D822-4541-A5F1-8DB0D6223DCB.jpeg

Reactions: Jolly Wolf